INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toggle GUI Aspect Ratio  (Read 2403 times)

Glimmie

• Junior Woodchuck
Toggle GUI Aspect Ratio
« on: February 01, 2016, 01:02:03 pm »

Is there a simple way to toggle the aspect ration of the GUI? Here's the reason. I have a large library of 4x3 TV shows ripped from DVD albums. I use a physical screen masking system in my HT. But as the screen is masked 4x3 for these shows, when the JRiver GUI comes back up, it's still 16x9 and partially cut off by the masking.

I would like to switch the GUI to 4x3 mode via a remote command if possible. Note that I still want the 16x9 GUI when in 16x9 mode.

Can this be done with a custom "view" setup, like a second "Theater View" but configured as 4x3?

fooze

• Junior Woodchuck
  • TURN IT UP
Re: Toggle GUI Aspect Ratio
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:58:21 pm »

Would running the MC gui in a window resized to fit your mask work okay?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:30:06 pm »

I've been requesting a "keep GUI within video area" option for years. Perhaps one can now be implemented with madVR's
Processing > Zoom Control > Notify media Player about cropped black bars option. MadVR now can automatically detect hard coded black bars and could return this info to JRiver to keep the GUI within the the video area.

You can do this a couple of ways depending on what you are using:
  • Use a custom aspect ratio in your video card driver in conjuction with JRiver's Display Setting Automatic Change Mode
  • In madVR set your display as a digital projector and use the new Devices > display > screen config window to "define visible screen area by cropping masked borders." You will need to create two Profile Groups for the display in order to switch between them.

Glimmie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 12:32:51 pm »

I think I need to clarify something.

I am not changing the video aspect ratio. The video chain is still running in 16x9 1920x1080. So SD 480 material plays out pillar boxed. I know I'm wasting pixels but since it's 480i to start with being upconverted by MadVR, I really don't care about wasting half the pixels.

There is no problem once the video is running as the transport controls and "running" menu functions are mostly within the 4x3 area.

It's the JRiver GUI where we select the titles.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 02:16:18 pm »

I meant to say use a custom video resolution instead of custom aspect ratio. You can create a resolution that is still 1920x1080, but that puts the entire visible area within a smaller portion such as the 4:3 area . JRiver will then keep its GUI within the 4:3 area.

Pages: [1]   Go Up