INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using two digital outputs at the same time?  (Read 1308 times)

iScream

Using two digital outputs at the same time?
« on: February 11, 2016, 07:23:17 am »

Hey guys,

I just purchased a MC 21 license yesterday after playing with the trial version for a few weeks.   My main intent is to use JRiver DSP functionality to drive a 4 way active stereo speaker setup.  But I'm also using the DNLA server to play music downstairs with my Roku 3.

I also ordered a MiniDSP U-DAC8 yesterday so I've got the right equipment coming.

But, while I wait for that to arrive from Hong Kong, it would be great if I could get a low pass output for my subwoofer and a high pass for my regular speakers. Right now I'm just using JRiver to play my FLAC files over optical from my motherboard to my Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC. But I have another decent DAC that will accept optical or USB.

So is it even possible to create two high pass channels and send them to one digital out and two low pass going to a different digital out?

I do understand that there will be clock sync issues with two completely separate DACs. The threads I've found on this topic all seem to stop with the OP being told it's a bad idea because the DACs will drift apart.  But the sync issue is actually something I'm interested in hearing.  Mostly though I want to start learning more about using the DSP.

Sending the high pass to a single DAC while routing the low pass through the analog outputs on my motherboard would be fine with me as well.

If it is possible to do this, would someone please help me get started?

Last night I followed a wiki link on creating a crossover using the analog out from a motherboard.  I was able to create a high pass on my main stereo channels and hear it working.  But I setup mixes to copy Left to Center and Right to Subwoofer and never managed to get any sound from the other channels.

Thanks a bunch for any help!

-Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up