INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Every Time I Start JRiver 21 .45 I'm asked ' Do I wan't to allow...'  (Read 2479 times)

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

I may have made a change but I don't remember doing so...On same computer JR20 does not ask to do this. Any thoughts.

thanks
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Every Time I Start JRiver 21 .45 I'm asked ' Do I wan't to allow...'
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 11:27:51 am »

Proofreading is a helpful habit.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 05:31:18 pm »

Media Center will UAC prompt to elevate privileges on first run if:

* It is the first run ever of that particular "major version" (19 vs 20 vs 21) or if it was the first-run since some other major version was run, AND...
* The application wasn't launched from the installer itself (via the Run installed program now checkbox), since the installer already has elevated privileges and can launch MC itself with them.

This is so that MC can register itself with COM, and correct the HKLM registry entries if required (perhaps among other things).

So, the most common reason you'd see recurring UAC prompts to launch MC is if you switch back and forth between an older version of MC and a newer one. You'll see it every time if you're still running the old version in Media Server mode.

If you see it outside of these types of situations, this is an indicator that something is going wrong with your installation. Perhaps a registry "cleaner" is messing up your registry entries, or some overactive security application is blocking (or making temporary) MC's attempts to make these changes? Perhaps you manually set some kind of non-default privilege on MC (through the compatibility settings on the application's shortcut)? Or perhaps you have more general permissions issues on the computer? In any case, I'd try a full uninstall of MC (after making a Library Backup), reboot, and then reinstall as a first step.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 07:43:46 pm »

Thanks glynor
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up