Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 60 fps  (Read 5838 times)

MrSavageSK

• Recent member
60 fps
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:06:38 pm »

so did a search, read thru a few pages of thread headings...im sure its been covered before, but how does one get JRiver player to play movies at 60fps? I could do it with my Miribilis Splash player by a slider, but there doesnt seem to be anything on JRiver that does such...I tried changing the video settings, but nothing happens.
Running an ASUS PB298Q 29" Ultrawide with HDMI 2.0 cables to an Onkyo TX NR737 Receiver from a R9-380 video card. I believe the HDMI from the card is 1.4a as well as the moniter, so the cables are just overkill :) any help would be appreciated.

i have it running at 2560x1080 @ 32bit@60hz. via the software settings alas, no change.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: 60 fps
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:06:56 pm »

JRiver uses the desktop resolution unless you tell it or the madVR video renderer to switch to something else. If your desktop resolution is 2561x1080 @ 60 Hz then that is what JRiver will output.

In JRiver you use Tools > Options > Video > Display Settings to have it switch to a different output resolution than the desktop resolution when a movie is played.

You say, "I have it running at 2560x1080 @ 32bit@60hz. via the software settings alas, no change." What are you trying to have it change from or to?

MrSavageSK

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 12:17:54 am »

Well the file is 24fps, as always, but Id like to accelerate it, via HW/SW to 60fps. I know some players can do that and my hardware can MORe than do that i7-4820k 16G DDR3 R9-380. Am I missing something? Yes I have told it to do that..but it still plays at 24fps...

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 02:27:27 am »

HDMI 2.0 cables [...], so the cables are just overkill :)

Just to be safe, there is no such thing as HDMI 2.0 cables.
There is only two types of HDMI cables - "Standard" and "High Speed", and the High Speed cables support HDMI 2.0 - but they go back to HDMI 1.3 already.

Strictly speaking there is two more types of HDMI cables, Standard and High Speed with Ethernet, but those are not of relevance for a PC, since PCs can't use the ethernet component.

Am I missing something? Yes I have told it to do that..but it still plays at 24fps...
I'm not quite sure what you want it to do. "Play at 60fps" like how? Just play the video faster? That wouldn't be any fun, would it? A 24fps video at 60fps would run at 2.5x the speed, audio would be unrecognizable at that speed.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

MrSavageSK

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 10:34:39 am »

Just to be safe, there is no such thing as HDMI 2.0 cables.
There is only two types of HDMI cables - "Standard" and "High Speed", and the High Speed cables support HDMI 2.0 - but they go back to HDMI 1.3 already.

yeah, i found that out afterwards, oh well :) didnt pay much for them but they do what they say, so thats good enough for me :)

Strictly speaking there is two more types of HDMI cables, Standard and High Speed with Ethernet, but those are not of relevance for a PC, since PCs can't use the ethernet component.
I'm not quite sure what you want it to do. "Play at 60fps" like how? Just play the video faster? That wouldn't be any fun, would it? A 24fps video at 60fps would run at 2.5x the speed, audio would be unrecognizable at that speed.

well go and get the splash player and youll see what I mean, taking a 24fps movie and making it 60fps. it's a much better viewing experience IMHO. Slide the video to 60fps and voila, ultra smooth video playback, and no it does not accelerate the actual video, it just 'adds' frames inbetween the existing ones somehow, so to speak. I dont know, maybe Im explaining it badly, all I know is its a great thing for movies, tv's can do it, even crappy tv's...:P

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 11:09:54 am »

Interpolation to create new frames is not something Media Center offers, or likely ever will.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 11:32:34 am »

In JRiver's Options > Vido, you need to use Red October HQ (madVR video renderer) to play back 23/24p at 60p. In the madVR settings you activate it under Rendering > Smooth Motion.

You can actually get by with Smooth Motion only but need to always run at 60p. I use VideoClock and Smooth Motion and watch all content at 60p. This provides the best JRiver GUI and motion looks better to me at 60p than 24p.

You can read more in the JRiver madVR wiki.

Here is madshi's explanation of smooth motion:

Introducing the new Smooth Motion frame rate changer (FRC) with the following main features / benefits:

(1) Can convert any source frame rate to any display refresh rate, while maintaining smooth motion.
(2) Endless playback without frame drops/repeats (if your PC is fast enough) without needing VideoClock.

There are disadvantages, too, of course:

(1) Slightly higher GPU usage (not too much) with default settings.
(2) Some sharpness loss (almost invisible with 23-25fps -> 60Hz conversion).

23-25fps -> 60Hz: minimal sharpness loss, nearly invisible
24fps -> 24Hz: visible sharpness loss
(check "enable motion frame rate conversion only if there would be motion judder without it" so it isn't used all the time)
60fps -> 24Hz: very noticeable sharpness loss

Basically the higher the refresh rate, the better. And the lower the source framerate, the better.

Technically the FRC algorithm simulates a display with infinite refresh rate. Which means that every video frame is displayed exactly when the timestamps ask for it. Consequently the motion smoothness depends on proper timestamps. If the timestamps (or audio clock) contain jitter, the playback will contain jitter, too. So even if VideoClock might not be needed to avoid frame drops/repeats, anymore, when using madVR's new FRC algorithm, you might still want to use VideoClock
because it provides a stable and reliable audio clock with very low jitter, and it supports WASAPI exclusive mode, too.

To my best knowledge madVR is now the only way to playback Blu-Ray/DVD movies without 3:2 pulldown judder on displays which don't support 23.976Hz playback properly. I don't think any hardware Blu-Ray player can do that, or even any of the expensive video processors. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

One last hint: There's a new "trade quality for performance" option in the madVR settings which affects the quality of the FRC frame blending. By default frame blending is done in gamma corrected light, which is fast, but not mathematically correct. If your GPU is fast enough, it's highly recommended that you disable the "trade quality" option for highest image quality. There are no negative side effects to blending frames in linear light - except for higher GPU usage, of course.

P.S: Just to avoid confusion: madVR's smooth motion FRC does *NOT* modify audio in any way. Playback speed is not affected at all. The only thing that changes is that motion looks much smoother, if the display refresh rate isn't an even multiple of the source framerate.

MrSavageSK

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 11:32:58 am »

Interpolation to create new frames is not something Media Center offers, or likely ever will.

ahh yes, thats the term i couldn't remember...oh ok..fair enough :)
still a great player though :) esp for Eyefinity systems :) with 21:9 moniters :) you have my vouch on that aspect, no contest whatsoever :)
oh, and now my only complaint is trying to run Atmos thru it :) it doesnt seem to like running bitstream on my PC...not sure why...the players fault?

MrSavageSK

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 11:41:02 am »

In JRiver's Options > Vido, you need to use Red October HQ (madVR video renderer) to play back 23/24p at 60p. In the madVR settings you activate it under Rendering > Smooth Motion.

You can actually get by with Smooth Motion only but need to always run at 60p. I use VideoClock and Smooth Motion and watch all content at 60p. This provides the best JRiver GUI and motion looks better to me at 60p than 24p.

You can read more in the JRiver madVR wiki.

Here is madshi's explanation of smooth motion:

i just found the MadVR settings the other night, Ive always used the HD renderer..but changing it to smooth hasnt really done too much im afraid...at least in the few experiments Ive tried so far, perhaps Im doing something wrong, Ill have to check again tonight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up