INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable SSD Problems  (Read 4265 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Portable SSD Problems
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:21:10 pm »

I tried using Rename, Move, Copy to copy some music from my network (M:\) to my portable SSD (E:\) prior to a trip.  I only checked the directory box, and pointed to E:\Music, then asked it to use subfolders \Artist\Album.  It very quickly ran thru the 1356 files, then windows briefly showed the copy dialog box, then finished VERY quickly.  it's an SSD, so i expected quick, but when i looked at the SSD, it did create all the folders, but didn't actually copy anything.  All the folders are blank.  I tested by manually copying a file inside of MC by dragging the file to the explorer line in the tree, and that worked fine.

It seems the RMC isn't quite working.  not sure when this started, I didn't install previous versions to test.

FYI, I actually wanted to use the SSD as a handheld, but couldn't make it show as a handheld, so i just tried directly copying.
pretend this is something funny

blgentry

Portable SSD Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 07:56:49 am »

^ Justin are you using a Client to do this?  The RMC functionality was disabled for clients several versions ago.

Brian.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
Portable SSD Problems
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 08:00:26 am »

^ Justin are you using a Client to do this?  The RMC functionality was disabled for clients several versions ago.

Brian.
No, I'm using a normal connection. A client connection doesn't even bring up the dialog to key you try.  I tried dragging 5 files to the drive and it worked fine. I then tried dragging about 500 songs, just over 20GB and that failed also. It seems to be related to number/size of files.

Arindelle

Portable SSD Problems
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:16:36 pm »

I tried using Rename, Move, Copy to copy some music from my network (M:\) to my portable SSD (E:\) prior to a trip.  I only checked the directory box, and pointed to E:\Music, then asked it to use subfolders \Artist\Album.  It very quickly ran thru the 1356 files, then windows briefly showed the copy dialog box, then finished VERY quickly.  it's an SSD, so i expected quick, but when i looked at the SSD, it did create all the folders, but didn't actually copy anything.  All the folders are blank.  I tested by manually copying a file inside of MC by dragging the file to the explorer line in the tree, and that worked fine.

It seems the RMC isn't quite working.  not sure when this started, I didn't install previous versions to test.

FYI, I actually wanted to use the SSD as a handheld, but couldn't make it show as a handheld, so i just tried directly copying.
I do this all of the time to USB drives ... just copied 20gb no problem. Maybe post a screen shot of the RMC screen after selecting files but before you hit ok ... if the files are shown and you chose the right options you should see what will be copied. Can"t see why an ssd drive would be different as long as its showing up in windows asit seems to be drive e:\ provided that you have selected the base directory path.

PS - I use this rule that helps with multi cd albums
Code: [Select]
FileFolder(,2 )\FileFolder(,1 )\FileFolder( ,) but if this worked for you before, not sure why changing the rule would help, Justin

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
Portable SSD Problems
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:22:59 pm »

I do this all of the time to USB drives ... just copied 20gb no problem. Maybe post a screen shot of the RMC screen after selecting files but before you hit ok ... if the files are shown and you chose the right options you should see what will be copied. Can"t see why an ssd drive would be different as long as its showing up in windows asit seems to be drive e:\ provided that you have selected the base directory path.

PS - I use this rule that helps with multi cd albums
Code: [Select]
FileFolder(,2 )\FileFolder(,1 )\FileFolder( ,) but if this worked for you before, not sure why changing the rule would help, Justin

I also don't know why it's not working, it's a simple enough task.  See screenshots of the window showing the files to be copied, then the windows dialog box which displays next.

Arindelle

Portable SSD Problems
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 03:48:26 am »

I also don't know why it's not working, it's a simple enough task.  See screenshots of the window showing the files to be copied, then the windows dialog box which displays next.

Off-topic BUT I think I got why its not working for you.

You can rename which would move the file or you can Copy. You are actually trying to rename and copy by using the rule you set with just field names. Windows has a problem with 'em. Might need to add expressions to use fields here (maybe someone could figure one out thats more sophisticated than my simple rule. )

I'd try removing your rule to see what happens, with a couple of files. Then paste mine in (check multi cd albums if you have them and you'll see why I think) and modify it.

My rule would copy your M:\Verified to E:\Music\Verified\Album Artist\Album for single CDs and copy directly  E:\Album Artist\Album\CD1" without the "Verified" for multi-cds & sets (if you set your directories like I do, this makes sense; if not tweak the rule or have two presets).

Its not really intuitive, but its a lot easier selecting files through JRiver than it is to find the folders using Windows alone and CTRL-click.

Hope this helps :)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
Portable SSD Problems
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 06:43:45 am »

Off-topic BUT I think I got why its not working for you.

You can rename which would move the file or you can Copy. You are actually trying to rename and copy by using the rule you set with just field names. Windows has a problem with 'em. Might need to add expressions to use fields here (maybe someone could figure one out thats more sophisticated than my simple rule. )

I'd try removing your rule to see what happens, with a couple of files. Then paste mine in (check multi cd albums if you have them and you'll see why I think) and modify it.

My rule would copy your M:Verified to E:MusicVerifiedAlbum ArtistAlbum for single CDs and copy directly  E:Album ArtistAlbumCD1" without the "Verified" for multi-cds & sets (if you set your directories like I do, this makes sense; if not tweak the rule or have two presets).

Its not really intuitive, but its a lot easier selecting files through JRiver than it is to find the folders using Windows alone and CTRL-click.

Hope this helps :)
Hmmm...   I wonder why it won't work with directories. It seems like it should work. In the end I am just copying files. I'm not actually renaming the files themselves, just specifying a directory structure. This feels like a bug.

Also, if I grab this same list if files and drag them to the right folder on the tree on the left, this also fails to work. If I grab half of the files that also fails to work. If I grab just a few and drag them, that works fine. I did not test the copy command with just a few files, but will try that when I get home tonight. I suspect it will work also. If so, it's not the folder structure, but the number/size if the files being copied.

Perhaps JRiver can look into this before I get home.

Either way, I will try your rules also, since that may work better anyway.

Thanks for your help with this.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Portable SSD Problems
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 08:11:01 am »

I just did a 4GB test sync, in copy mode with only a Directories Template applied, to a separate drive without issue.

I'm not sure what Arindelle was referring to with his post above. RMCF can certainly handle using the any of the file naming (including directory and Find & Replace) templates while in Copy mode.  The mode is not impacted by the templates selected, that just tells MC whether to move the files (rename them), copy them to new destinations, or just update the database. Otherwise, the system can all be used identically, no matter the Mode.

Some thoughts and questions:

* How is this SSD connected? This sounds like a USB controller flaking out when hit with a large data transfer. I've seen this myself, especially with flaky USB3 chipsets (in either the drive enclosure or, with older and/or non-Intel ones, on the motherboard).

* Does it make any difference if you connect the drive to a slower USB2 port? Obviously it'll be slower, but does it work more reliably?

* If so, is there a firmware update available for your external SSD?

* You have no Filename Template specified in your screenshot. This means that the existing filenames will be used for the copies, placed in their new directories. That's fine, but you have to ensure there are no collisions. If your Directories Template doesn't match the storage system used for your source drive (and doesn't create the same "tiers" or "separations") and then two files with matching [Filename (name)]s end up "colliding" into the same destination directory, it will cause problems. The Windows Explorer file copy dialog should then prompt for file replace/overwrite/skip, but perhaps something is broken in that?

* Does it work better if you DO specify a Filename template in RMCF? That will ensure collisions are handled inside MC rather than in Windows Explorer.

Also, it is worth mentioning that you absolutely CAN make the drive show up in as a Handheld, as long as it has a regular drive letter and whatnot, by simply adding a generic Handheld with Tools > Options > Handheld > Device management > Add device.  Should figure out what is wrong with your RMCF though first, as many of the same issues will apply to syncing through that.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 10:03:37 am »

I'm not sure what Arindelle was referring to with his post above. RMCF can certainly handle using the any of the file naming (including directory and Find & Replace) templates while in Copy mode.  The mode is not impacted by the templates selected, that just tells MC whether to move the files (rename them), copy them to new destinations, or just update the database. Otherwise, the system can all be used identically, no matter the Mode.

OMG , this is embarrassing. I just duplicated exactly what Justin had in his screenshot .. and euh ... let's see where is my hole to crawl in ... it works fine just as is on my PCs

Now I have not changed this rule since, I'm pretty sure, version 16! I remember I had to use it, and undoubtedly there have been some refinements since then, and I have continued using what works for me. Jumped to a bad conclusion. Might also have been because some times I'm selecting files that do not all contain the same number of sub-directories

I guess you have another issue, Justin. Very sorry to have mislead anybody, well, euh my heart was in the right place.  :-[

PS - Oh one thing though .. this is a very powerful tool. But for people who just want to copy files and/or rename, repoint them (and do not want to try an learn anything ;) ) its really not very intuitive. If there was just a simple and advanced part of the RMC pop-up ... the "simple" could say enter Source Path and Destination Path. Choose the mode and click OK. No fields, no functions, no templates required. Make a preset if you want, done.

Right now if you just fill in the Base Path in directories it will copy the file but not the directories and subdirectories. You can do this, I just noticed, by choosing copy and filling out manually the 2 boxes under Find and Replace. This is very confusing as you aren't really finding anything as you have selected the files already. And the word Replace is scary if all you want to do is copy files. Proably why I have never used it for copying files before myself.

I can see many applications of the existing boxes of course, but for most people they are just changing root paths around and copying, renaming part of the filepath, or repointing their databases to new locations. So I'd hate to dumb it down.

The advance part of the pop-up could be shown/hidden with those upside down triangles they use all over the place and could be kept as is.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 10:52:05 am »

If you're:
just changing root paths around and copying, renaming part of the filepath, or repointing their databases to new locations. So I'd hate to dumb it down.

Then you don't need the Directories or Filename templates at all. The best way to accomplish those tasks is with the Find & Replace Template:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Find_and_Replace_Template

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 11:23:42 am »

If you're:
Then you don't need the Directories or Filename templates at all. The best way to accomplish those tasks is with the Find & Replace Template:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Find_and_Replace_Template
yes I know I mentioned that above. I use this all the time for moving and renaming

But for people copying files from a selection they made. This is not obvious to the unenlightened among us as a "copy function" , or idiots like myself that should have known better and tried it anyway using copy rather than use fancy arguments that aren't needed :D

This actually is all Justin needs to do for that matter.

Remove the words Replace and change it to something else at least. Replace and copy don't go together is my point. Also, frankly using this template, without requiring files being selected first is dangerous IMO and not for novices that just want to copy some mp3s and put in on a USB drive.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 12:37:20 pm »

It means a text Find & Replace function (just like you'd do in Notepad), because that's what it does.

I don't disagree that some kind of easier way to just re-point files to a new root directory would be useful, by the way. But I don't know that altering the existing RMCF dialog is the way to go (making everything harder when you need to use it). I'm also not sure I'd agree that this is the most common use of that tool. I'd say "pushing" a file organization scheme (using the Directories and Filename Templates) is the most common use.

Arindelle

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 01:54:29 pm »

Ok Glynor. Just a suggestion, thought it wouldn't be much work changing some words or adding a "simple" area. I understand how it works ... now. Oh and until now that you posted your wiki page link that I hadn't seen,  I only used Find and replace for moving files .. never for copying them. 

So I'm ok with it. Still its just not an obvious module. My opinion of course.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 03:41:36 pm »

Please do not change RMCF.  Very powerful, I use it all the time !

Justin has not replied to glynor's suggestion : does a massive Windows copy work on the SSD ?
Just to rule out a HW problem...
Pages: [1]   Go Up