INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo "ten foot couch potato mode"  (Read 2982 times)

stevehulk121

Gizmo "ten foot couch potato mode"
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:06:41 am »

I am very new here, this is my first post.

I have had a fairly serious bash at getting Gizmo on my Android phone set up to control jriver mc on a Microsoft Surface 3 running Windows 10 out of the box.

My phone will now control the slate even when my phone is not connected directly by Wi-Fi to the home network but is using its own data plan. I managed to set up port forwarding on my home router to do this.

I have also managed to get the slate to connect via Wi-Fi so it can use the internet provided by the phone. That required fixes to the settings on the tablet to make it work.

To do these things required me to research quite hard in the internet as they were new to me.

Now what I require is to be able to use gizmo to control jriver mc when I am away from the home network with BOTH the slate and my phone. The reason I want to do this is two-fold: firstly my audio system consists of the slate connected by USB OTG to a Chord HugoTT DAC. I would like these two bulky items to stay in my bag when walking out so controlling them with my phone would be ideal, secondly when I am visiting friends it would be very nice to plug the DAC + slate into their home audio and share the joy of Chord and jriver doing their thing with high-resolution music files from the sofa across the room using a remote control. In both these cases the slate and the phone are both away from my home network.

So I want gizmo on the phone to be able to control jriver mc on the slate DIRECTLY and not over the internet. Bluetooth seems the obvious way to do this since the only things that need to be transmitted are the commands and the representation of the jriver library on the phone so high bandwidth is not needed.

Any suggestions?

A solution to this problem that does use the internet would also be welcome. It would just be a bit weird to use my home router to mediate between the phone and the slate when neither of them is at home, but I can live with weird  ;D Or is it possible to link the slate and gizmo over the internet without involving the home router?

I am stuck here, I hope someone can help.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Gizmo "ten foot couch potato mode"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:29:03 am »

The easiest way to do this that I've personally discovered is to turn on mobile hotspot on your phone, connect the slate to the phone's wi-fi network and go from there.  You can configure the slate to remember the phone's wi-fi ssid and pwassword so it autoconnects when you turn on hotspot on the phone.

stevehulk121

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 03:59:26 pm »

The problem is the "and go from there bit" I can connect the slate to the phone wirelessly but then gizmo on the phone cannot find jriver on the slate.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:41:10 pm »

The problem is the "and go from there bit" I can connect the slate to the phone wirelessly but then gizmo on the phone cannot find jriver on the slate.

The phone will assign the slate a local IP address.  Use that address to connect instead of the access key and it should work fine.  You can typically find the address on the phone's hotspot display.  I promise it works with or without internet, I've done it regularly.

stevehulk121

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:14:04 am »

Thank you @mwillems, that worked perfectly. When I connected via the hotspot from the slate to the phone I was able, under "connected devices" to find the local IP address of the slate. That local IP address was the missing link. When I put that in Gizmo it worked just fine. The rig with the Windows 10 slate running JRiver MC connected via usb to the Chord DAC and Sennheiser HD800 (modded) headphones and controlled wirelessly from my Android phone is JUST SO COOL!  ;D  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up