INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to find any channels JRiver 21.0.23  (Read 9103 times)

osuchamp02

• Recent member
Unable to find any channels JRiver 21.0.23
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:11:42 am »

I am not finding any channels when scanning using jriver.  QAM standard is what should work but I have tried them all (even over the air) and not one will pick up a single channel. I'm running JRiver 21.0.23 on Win 10 using AVerMedia A188 HD Duet.  I have updated the tuners driver. The AVerMedia software that came with the card finds tons of channels using QAM Standard in its software but jriver finds nothing.  Any suggestions??   

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Unable to find any channels JRiver 21.0.23
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:52 am »

QAM is a tough one as I no longer have any QAM channels to test with.  It used to work for me.

There is a newer version of MC available here:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103048.0
You can give that a try, but it probably will not make a difference.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:36:19 am »

First I suggest you update MC21 to the latest version (.45) as a lot of fixes/improvements have been made. The latest version is at the top of main forum page.

So you have a cable provider right? And the cable provider is sending ClearQAM signal through your home's cable connection - as you confirmed with AVerMedia software.

When you go into MC Televison setup, for Service Type, you are selecting "Digital Cable or satellite". Correct?
Then on Tuner Type you select Clear QAM.

Are you seeing the "AverMedia" listed under "Devices" on the setup page? Are you putting a check mark in the box next to device to choice it before starting the scan?

If all of this is correct, you may want to try removing (uninstalling) the AverMedia software (it may be capturing the Tuner card preventing MC from using it).

osuchamp02

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 10:27:54 am »

Thank you for the speedy replys. 

I have updated to JRiver 21.0.45

Yes I have a cable provider

Yes I am selecting Digital Cable or satellite

Yes I am selecting Clear QAM (I have tried all the frequency standards )

Yes the tuners are shown as devices available to use.  Both are checked and I have tried to check just one at a time. 

I had the same results prior to installing the avermedia software.  I installed it just to make sure the driver and card were working.  I have had the tv set up before in JRiver with the avermedia software installed previously.  I had to reformat my hard drive over the weekend and now it does not seem to want to find anything. I just removed the software and retried the tv setup and scan with no channels still found. I am still clueless.

Thanks for you time and efforts.     

osuchamp02

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 04:37:09 pm »

Anymore thoughts or suggestions? I don't want to use another program for PVR.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 04:43:46 pm »

Please turn on logging, run channel scan.  Send me the logs.  yaobing at jriver dot com

osuchamp02

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 07:13:24 pm »

sent

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 10:37:12 am »

Do you know whether your cable company uses any modulation type other than 64QAM and 256QAM?

When 256QAM was used, we got an outright failure.  When 64QAM was used, the signal quality and strength were both 0.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 11:26:52 am »

In post #1 you said you updated the driver. What version driver are you using now? Where did you get it?

I saw on the AVS forum that this card has a lot of problems. I could not find the card listed on the AverMedia site (it looks like they don't support older models).  

Also, I read here http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/AVerMedia-MTVHDDUET-AVerTV-HD-Duet-TV-Tuner-DataSheet.pdf

That ClearQAM is "only for Aver MediaCenter, Windows Media Center TV Pack 2008 and Windows 7" .

osuchamp02

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 10:50:39 am »

Yaobing  A quick internet search does not show me anything.  I will try and call TW and figure that out.  What confuses me is that AverMedias software scanned QAM Standard and pulls a ton of channels so why not JRiver.

Bummkin

I had to call Aver they are building and launching a new web site so some stuff is missing from there sites right now they sent me this link in an email to download the driver and software.

That ClearQAM is "only for Aver MediaCenter, Windows Media Center TV Pack 2008 and Windows 7" .  You would think if win7 can run it Win 10 will be backwards compatible.  They removed some WMC Software functions in win 10 but I dont think its anything that JRiver cant replace. 

I have once had everything set up in jriver before I needed to reformat.  The old OS install was a win 7 to 10 update.  The new install is straight install of 10. 

If I uninstall and reinstall JRiver will I lose all my view tweaks and settings changes?

Thanks for you time and suggestions.  I look forward to more. 

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 02:12:41 pm »

That ClearQAM is "only for Aver MediaCenter, Windows Media Center TV Pack 2008 and Windows 7" .  You would think if win7 can run it Win 10 will be backwards compatible.  They removed some WMC Software functions in win 10 but I dont think its anything that JRiver cant replace.  

I think you are correct - but I don't know for sure. Win10 broke a lot of stuff. I'm using Win10 on three computers without problems, but I don't have the AverMedia card.

I have once had everything set up in jriver before I needed to reformat.  The old OS install was a win 7 to 10 update.  The new install is straight install of 10.  

Did the AverMedia work properly when you first upgraded to Win10 (before the format and clean install)? If so, then it should work now. If it never worked since switching to Win10 , then than might be your answer.

If I uninstall and reinstall JRiver will I lose all my view tweaks and settings changes?

Thanks for you time and suggestions.  I look forward to more.  

You can do a library backup (File>Library>Back up Library). That will save all your settings.

osuchamp02

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 02:33:11 pm »

Yes everything worked with window 7 to 10 upgrade. 

I hooked up an antenna and ran the over the air scan.  I was able to pick up local channels so MC likes the card its just the QAM.  I cant Keep the antenna hooked up as the reception is too spotty and inconsistent.  Hummm 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 03:23:54 pm »

An upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 could well have retained some files/components that the AverMedia card required. Whereas a clean install of Windows 10 wouldn't have those components.

Microsoft built some pretty neat stuff in developing WMC, and by default a lot of it became the standard and enabled other TV applications. Many TV related software and hardware relied on WMC components, and they aren't as easy to replace as one would think. Just think about the Copy Once capability of WMC for an obvious example.

I believe that the OTA functions of the AverMedia card will be using a standard BDA driver, as that is what MC uses for ATSC and DVB broadcast signals. The QAM signals, on the other hand, would rely on an AverMedia driver. Obviously their Aver MediaCenter software is capable of receiving QAM signals, but creating a Windows 10 driver that other software can use is a little harder, given the conditions Microsoft puts on the use of drivers.

I think either AverMedia need to provide a Windows 10 driver, or you need to replace the card with something that works.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 05:17:00 pm »

You might want to go to Win10 "Control Panel>Device Manger" and find the AverMedia then use the update driver tool to replace the Win10 drivers with the AverMedia driver. You would need to have the AverMedia driver dick loaded or have copied the drivers to you computer, so you can manually pick the AverMedia driver (use the "browse my computer for driver", not the automatic method). This is assuming Win10 loaded a generic driver for the AverMedia.
If all else fails just delete the AverMedia from device manager and run the "scan for hardware changes".

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 12:41:05 pm »

I made quick change for testing.  You can try it but I do not know if this will help at all.

1. Install MC21.0.48 if you have not done so.
2. Download this DLL: JRTelevision.dll
3. Copy the dll into [MC21 installation folder], replacing the existing one.
4. Run Clear QAM channel scan.
5. On the scan channel window, check "Perform a more thorough but slower scan" checkbox.  You can do this anytime, and do not have to wait for the current scan to finish.

In the "more thorough but slower" mode, I made a test change to treat "Locked" as locked, even if Quality is 0.  This way we will attempt to get the channel parameters.  Maybe this will not work because Windows 10 is missing something, but I think it is worth a try.

osuchamp02

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 09:30:11 am »

Attached are the logs from a test I did last night.  I installed a WinTV-HVR-1250 scanned for channels using QAM. I didn't get all the channels I once had so I tried all the frequencies.  I ended up getting the same results on all of them. I was looking for the CW and the scans never found it.  Like everything else I had it on my last setup.  I Uninstalled the WIN TV and Installed the AverMedia and replaced the .dll file as requested.  I scanned for channels using thorough scan.  I was unable to find any channels still.  Thank you guys for the time a efforts.  Any more thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up