INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I play a FLAC-streaming radio station?  (Read 5200 times)

Lewin

• Recent member
How can I play a FLAC-streaming radio station?
« on: February 13, 2016, 02:38:48 pm »

Under My Connected Media, I have stored a number of Internet radio stations, which transmit in AAC, AAC+ or MP3 and they all work fine. I'm aware of FLAC-streaming music services, like TIDAL and WIMP, which offer their service against a monthly fee. However, there appears to be one or two public stations, which also transmit in FLAC. Europaradio Jazz promotes a lossless Jazz program, but I'm unable to make it play on MC 21. I'm probably doing something wrong? Maybe somebody more knowledgeable could try? If it works, it could be of interest to others.

-  In Google, enter http://www.europaradiojazz.org/
-  On the left lower side, you will see a play button, labeled "Channel2, Jazz in Vinyl, Audiophile Channel, FLAC, 1000 kb/s". I can't get that to work.
-  On the top of the page, in the blue menu, select "streaming guide". Under "1000 kb/s Lossless Uncompressed FLAC", there is a URL. I can't get that one to work either.

The MP3-320 link works well and I like their Jazz program. It would be really nice to enjoy that in FLAC. Thanks in advance for your help.

sema

• Recent member
Re: How can I play a FLAC-streaming radio station?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 02:15:51 pm »

Same issue here!
I have the impression that the problem is on the streaming provider's side. But does anyone have further insights here?

MuseChaser

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 10:46:15 am »

I found europajazz a year or two ago and enjoy it very much, but you're correct; the flac and other high resolution streams don't always work and I'm pretty sure it's on their end.  They also change the true url of the stream (which isn't visible) occasionally.  I've had good luck using VLC to play the stream, then clicking on "media info" in one of the menus to get the true url.  Plug THAT into JRiver and see if it helps.

MuseChaser

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 12:44:23 pm »

OK, I just messed around a little bit more.  The "Jazz in Vinyl audiophile channel FLAC 1000 kbps" link on the europaradiojazz.org site is working right now, but VLC and RuneAudio both return the specs as 24 bit 44.1khz @ 128kbps.  I've attached a screenshot from VLC showing stats and codec; the actual URL of the stream can be seen at the bottom of the pic.  Hope that helps a bit more.

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 12:47:27 pm »

Using Firefox I can tell the browser to open any of the streams with MC22. However, the two "hi res" streams are both 128kpbs, whereas the standard stream is 320kbps. Nice station though.

Incidentially, the "Streaming" link in the top nav takes you to a page that shows all the URLs.

MuseChaser

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 01:03:16 pm »

Using Firefox I can tell the browser to open any of the streams with MC22. However, the two "hi res" streams are both 128kpbs, whereas the standard stream is 320kbps. Nice station though.

Incidentially, the "Streaming" link in the top nav takes you to a page that shows all the URLs.

You beat me to it.. I was just about to post that the two "Jazz in Vinyl" streams were virtually identical in spec: both 128kpbs.  I just noticed that the "SoundOfJazz" was 320kpbs, too.  Good catch.

The "Streaming Guide" link does show links, but they don't work, at least for me.  In any case, they're not links to the streams embedded in the homepage.  I don't get the feeling they update that page much.  Yes, they DO play some great music!
Pages: [1]   Go Up