INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Admin Privileges Prompt  (Read 2090 times)

phil1331

• Recent member
Admin Privileges Prompt
« on: February 17, 2016, 10:50:49 pm »

After installing Media Center 21, every time MC21 starts I'm asked to enter my Admin account credentials.  I did not need to do this before.  In earlier versions, just like this one, I have the Media Server set to start automatically with Windows, but now I'm prompted to enter my Admin account credentials before MC21 starts as Windows starts.  Same thing when I just start the Media Center manually.  Obviously this doesn't happen when I'm logged into my Admin account on the same computer.   

Does MC21 need admin privileges each time it starts?  I would prefer not to enter this each and every time I start Media Center or Media Server, especially since 80% of my time on my computer is spent in my "non-Admin" account.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Admin Privileges Prompt
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:49:20 pm »

You have upgraded from MC20, correct?
You haven't uninstalled MC20 yet, correct?

You get that prompt every time you start a different major version of MC from the last time MC was started, because MC needs to register COM objects and update the registry when a different major version is run.

In this case, I would guess the MC20 is still set to start the Media Server with Windows, so MC is fighting between MC20 and MC21.

Exit MC21, including the GUI and the Service, then run MC20, answer the prompt if it comes up, then turn off Media Network and make sure the startup settings (Options>Startup>Windows Startup) are set to "Nothing".

Then start MC21, answer the prompt, and check the same settings. You should be good to go, with no further prompts for Administrator rights.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

phil1331

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 10:20:44 pm »

Thank you Roderick.  I think you nailed it -- upon investigation, I had an earlier version of MC still installed.  I naively believed that installing the newest version would automatically uninstall the previous version, but not the case.  Bad assumption.

Upon uninstalling the older version, rebooting, starting the new version (and answering the prompt one more time), then exiting, rebooting, I think it's finally resolved.  Problem was, as you suggested, two conflicting versions of MC installed.

Thanks!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 10:38:59 pm »

You are very welcome Phil, and thanks for the feedback.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up