INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming a mixed playlist to AVR or Smart TV via network from PC  (Read 1694 times)

uilleann

I recently put together a mixed playlist (audio tracks as well as pictures) which plays beautifully on the PC, but I cannot - for the life of me - work out how to stream it to another device on the home network.  I'm showing JR version 21.0.23, and am attempting to stream everything exactly as it sounds and appears directly to either my AVR (a Denon AVR-X3200W), or our smart TV (a Sony XBR65X850C).  The PC (Windows 8.1) and the associated A/V bits are connected to the network via 2.4 & 5.0 wireless via a Netgear Nighthawk X6 router.

So it seems after much fiddling, I'm only able to get either audio alone with no picture, or I can get static images (without any of the nice transition effects as seen when viewing directly in the JRiver app on the PC).  But I can't get both together at all.

It strikes me as though this should be an easy thing to stream to another device intact.  Admittedly, I'm no network  or IT guru, but I usually don't have this much trouble getting this sort of thing to work properly across devices.  Any advice you may be able to offer to help get me up and running?  I've got a memorial service this weekend here at the house that I'd really like to have this sorted for.  Much thanks!

Brian~

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Streaming a mixed playlist to AVR or Smart TV via network from PC
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:02:36 am »

You could read about DLNA on our wiki to get a basic understanding.

When you say "stream", you're using DLNA to play files from MC to the Renderer.  If you play from the device, you're using it in a different way and the behavior may change, but using DLNA, the interface is dependent on the Renderer.  MC can't change what how it works.

To get what you expect, you would need a more sophisticated Renderer, usually MC running on a computer.

uilleann

Re: Streaming a mixed playlist to AVR or Smart TV via network from PC
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 09:54:22 am »

You could read about DLNA on our wiki to get a basic understanding.

When you say "stream", you're using DLNA to play files from MC to the Renderer.  If you play from the device, you're using it in a different way and the behavior may change, but using DLNA, the interface is dependent on the Renderer.  MC can't change what how it works.

To get what you expect, you would need a more sophisticated Renderer, usually MC running on a computer.

In short, that is what I was afraid of.  I tried reading as much as I could figure out beforehand - but was still left with questions.  Sadly, it sounds like that without MC playing on a native computer, the function just won't stream properly at all to another network device.  I appreciate the confirmation.  Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up