INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24bit 96000 reduce sample rate on the fly when transferring to an external devic  (Read 3319 times)

msch997

• Recent member

Hi, I use a personal music player for listening to music in my car. I of course use JRiver as my main music library and often "send" tracks from my library to this personal media player to have other music in my car.  This personal music player in the car supports 24bit /48000 Hz sample rate and nothing higher (which is ample for use in a vehicle).

I have some 24bit, 96000 Hz tracks in my JRiver library and wish to know is there a way when sending tracks to the music player to reduce the sample rate from 96000 to 48000 Hz on the fly?  I know you can change the codec ie you can convert a Flac file to an ALAC or MP3 on the fly when "sending" to an attached device but cannot seem to see anyway to drop the sample rate?

Any ideas here please?

Assuming JRiver does not support changing the sample rate on the fly as part of the hand held sync process, is there a utility built in to do this job, so I can create the 48000 Hz copy first and then sync the hand held?

Thanking you in advance.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

I'm assuming you're using the Handheld Sync feature.  If so, open the handheld sync options panel.  Then:

1.  Conversion > Audio > Apply DSP settings > (check)
2.  DSP Settings...
3.  In the dialog that comes up, check Output Format.
4.  Configure Output format's Sample Rate section to take 96k down to 48k.

That should do it.  Good luck.

Brian.

msch997

• Recent member

Hi Brian, thank you, appreciate your reply.  Your suggestion makes sense and should be the solution should.  I tried it but the result is a song that plays half speed on my hand held.  Could be a MC21 bug?

Let me give more details.
The tracks on JRiver are FLAC 24bit/96000 Hz
The hand held device is an Apple iPOD classic 80Gb (I use the iPOD as my vehicle in car entertainment system (Audi) picks up the iPOD and recognizes all music on the device, play lists etc and it can be controlled hands free, the iPOD in the glove compartment, very convenient).

When transferring tracks to the iPOD I always convert from FLAC to ALAC with no issues, 24Bit/48000Hz tracks I convert to ALAC with no DSP settings applied and they are recognized and play with no issue from the iPOD.

When transferring these 24Bit/96000 Hz to the iPOD
1) initially I had no DSP applied and just the conversion FLAC to ALAC.  On the iPOD I had a resultant track that ran in slow motion.
2) As per Brian's suggestion I had the same FLAC to ALAC conversion but applied DSP output format and had under output sample rate 96000 Hz mapped to 48000 Hz (I deleted the tracks from the iPOD first to ensure a fresh track is transferred).  The result  was the same a track that plays at slow speed.  Like slowing down a vinyl record designed for 45 rpm to around 18 rpm.

Any ideas or should I post as a possible MC21 bug?

blgentry

It sort of sounds like your ipod doesn't like any of MC's converted ALAC files.

You might explicitly convert a few files to test with:  Library Tools > Convert Format

Or use an external tool to convert them.  Just throwing out a few suggestions as I've never seen what you're reporting.

Oh and maybe your car/ipod don't like rates other than 44.1kHz.  Try converting to 44.1kHz.

Brian.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

I don't think iPods can play anything >16-bit/44.1khz.

msch997

• Recent member

Hi to all who helped thank you.

The result (possibly a conversion to ALAC bug ?) but anyway I made it work based on suggestions above. 

If I have a 24bit/48000Hz file on my NAS, update the JRiver library and then sync JRiver with the handheld, JRiver converting to ALAC without applying any JRiver DSP settings the iPod recognizes and plays the file perfectly.

If I have a 24bit/96000Hz file on my NAS, update the JRiver library and then sync JRiver with the handheld, JRiver  converting to ALAC and apply JRiver DSP settings to down sample from 98000Hz to 48000Hz the iPod is updated with strange bits and bit rates and plays at half speed.

If I do the same as above but when syncing to the iPod from JRiver and converting FLAC to ALAC I aply the DSP setting in JRiver as to down sample to 44100Hz and all behaves on the pod.

In Summary:
If the files are already at a 48000Hz sample rate and JRiver converts them to ALAC without applying any DSP all works perfectly on the iPOD.
But if the files on JRIver are at 96000Hz they will not play if down sampled to 48000Hz using DSP, they have to be down sampled to 44100Hz.

And that is that :)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

Hi to all who helped thank you.

The result (possibly a conversion to ALAC bug ?) but anyway I made it work based on suggestions above. 

If I have a 24bit/48000Hz file on my NAS, update the JRiver library and then sync JRiver with the handheld, JRiver converting to ALAC without applying any JRiver DSP settings the iPod recognizes and plays the file perfectly.

If I have a 24bit/96000Hz file on my NAS, update the JRiver library and then sync JRiver with the handheld, JRiver  converting to ALAC and apply JRiver DSP settings to down sample from 98000Hz to 48000Hz the iPod is updated with strange bits and bit rates and plays at half speed.

If I do the same as above but when syncing to the iPod from JRiver and converting FLAC to ALAC I aply the DSP setting in JRiver as to down sample to 44100Hz and all behaves on the pod.

In Summary:
If the files are already at a 48000Hz sample rate and JRiver converts them to ALAC without applying any DSP all works perfectly on the iPOD.
But if the files on JRIver are at 96000Hz they will not play if down sampled to 48000Hz using DSP, they have to be down sampled to 44100Hz.

And that is that :)

You may want to do a little more research (or not if you're happy with your results  ;D) but I think that the iPod will truncate 24-bit files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up