INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are DVD ifo files supported?  (Read 13985 times)

Otello

• World Citizen
Are DVD ifo files supported?
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:22:23 am »

I suppose the answer is Yes, as they get imported, but...
Everything work as expected except for the Ifo files: trying to play them return the "something went wrong" msg.
Suggestions? ;-)

Edit: All the other video files work as expected.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Are DVD ifo files supported?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 05:33:53 pm »

Are these IFO files from encrypted (protected) DVD files?  The VOBs have the actual video in them, and commercial DVDs are all encrypted.  Are these just raw copies of DVDs, or were they "ripped" with a program to remove the encryption?

If they are encrypted, I believe the answer is "no", they won't play.  They play on Windows because of a helper application that decrypts the DVD content.  This helper does not exist on Mac or Linux as far as I know.

If you only have a handful of these, you can easily convert them to MKV files, and strip out the encryption using MakeMKV.  You'll of course have to run MakeMKV on windows or mac to convert the files.  Then move the converted files back to the ID.

Brian.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:51:54 am »

Are these IFO files from encrypted (protected) DVD files?  The VOBs have the actual video in them, and commercial DVDs are all encrypted.  Are these just raw copies of DVDs, or were they "ripped" with a program to remove the encryption?

If they are encrypted, I believe the answer is "no", they won't play.  They play on Windows because of a helper application that decrypts the DVD content.  This helper does not exist on Mac or Linux as far as I know.

If you only have a handful of these, you can easily convert them to MKV files, and strip out the encryption using MakeMKV.  You'll of course have to run MakeMKV on windows or mac to convert the files.  Then move the converted files back to the ID.

Brian.

For info, MakeMKV also works on Linux. You just need to get the relevant files and do a compile. The steps are pretty simple (do a search on the interweb) and you're good to go. Pretty cool for effectively free software.

It's a very handy piece of kit. While the interface defaults to opening a disc in an optical drive, navigating to File > Open provides the capability for the user to direct the software to various file types including .iso and .ifo files plus the BD variety as well.

The other option would be to use something like AnyDVD ($ required) to rip to an .iso and remove encryption in the process. Similar to using MakeMKV in that there's a bit of manual handling to arrive at the ultimate destination.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 01:52:50 am »

ISOs or DVD structures like .ifo files are not supported in MC for Linux or Mac at this time, sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 02:15:21 am »

ISOs or DVD structures like .ifo files are not supported in MC for Linux or Mac at this time, sorry.

Thanks. I now know. Wouldn't have worried me anyway as my standard approach is to rip discs to a vid file format as discussed.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 11:48:37 am »

Well, it seems it's not the right day to speak about DVD ripping!  ;D

BTW, as the ifo files are imported anyway, should I assume they'll work in a client/server configuration together with a Windows JR?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 02:54:27 pm »

Well, it seems it's not the right day to speak about DVD ripping!  ;D

BTW, as the ifo files are imported anyway, should I assume they'll work in a client/server configuration together with a Windows JR?

My recollection is that .ifo files do not work over a client/server either as the windows DVD support doesn't work on non-local drives.  Astromo's advice is the way to go; .mkvs work everywhere in MC

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 04:10:59 pm »

I'm sorry mwillems, but windows DVD support DOES work on non-local drives. ;)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 07:03:35 pm »

I'm sorry mwillems, but windows DVD support DOES work on non-local drives. ;)

It's not the windows DVD app we're talking about but Microsoft DVD navigator, which barely works with USB external drives and doesn't work correctly with networked drives. Try it and see, it definitely didn't previously work with MC. 

Search around and you'll see a long list of threads on these forums and on microsoft's:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88394.0
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/853f3782-5d4d-4d64-bd5d-ff937a06a32b/cant-play-dvd-folder-structure-from-storage-spaces?forum=w8itprogeneral
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97832.20

If it works now that's great, but it was non-functional in the past.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 07:32:32 pm »

Yes of course, I've tried: I have NO local files, only the NAS.
 But, on my side, I cannot speak about past versions, as I started using JR for video only recentrly. ;)

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 10:13:09 am »

Sorry guys, but the thread about AnyDVD OOB in the Windows forum makes me realize that maybe we had a misunderstanding:
I was speaking about DVDs with the protection removed during ripping; for instance, my ifo files do work using VLC under Linux.
Are we speaking about the same matter?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 10:56:09 am »

Sorry guys, but the thread about AnyDVD OOB in the Windows forum makes me realize that maybe we had a misunderstanding:
I was speaking about DVDs with the protection removed during ripping; for instance, my ifo files do work using VLC under Linux.
Are we speaking about the same matter?

I answered your questions above.

See:

The same thing applies to Blu-ray structures or discs.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 01:15:25 pm »

Otello:  How many of these IFO based movies do you have?  10?  100?

Brian.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 01:30:53 pm »

Otello:  How many of these IFO based movies do you have?  10?  100?

Brian.

456, at the moment.

The number is decreasing: I detest menus, FBI warnings etc, so I was converting my favourite titles to MKV anyway.
but it will be long with 456 titles ;)

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 02:07:21 pm »

456, at the moment.

Wow!  I just did a couple of minutes of research and found some things you might be interested in:

BatchMKV
MakeMKV Batch

I haven't used these; just read a few paragraphs.  Not sure if they will help you or not.
Good luck.

Brian.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 04:16:46 am »

Wow!  I just did a couple of minutes of research and found some things you might be interested in:

BatchMKV
MakeMKV Batch

I haven't used these; just read a few paragraphs.  Not sure if they will help you or not.
Good luck.

Brian.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll give those links a squiz.

ArnoldLayne

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 11:51:40 pm »

My recollection is that .ifo files do not work over a client/server either as the windows DVD support doesn't work on non-local drives.  Astromo's advice is the way to go; .mkvs work everywhere in MC
I have ripped DVDs to vts.ifo file structure hoping to playing via the network connection on my BD player. I am very dismayed to find they don't play. Actually, one of them does play - the Rush 'A Show of Hands' concert video. I have no idea why it does as any other gets a bad/ corrupt file notice on the BD player.
Which structure is supported that still keeps all the DVD menus?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 01:54:41 am »

Which structure is supported that still keeps all the DVD menus?

None.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up