INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with switching between multiple users' media  (Read 6358 times)

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
Problem with switching between multiple users' media
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:35:42 pm »

I created two users and assigned all my media files (around 40k) to either of the two users.  The names I assigned in the User field matches the names I used under the User account dialog box field called 'Files to Show'.

But when I switch between the two users under View>User, I don't see any of the media from either.  When I switch back to Administrator, all the media shows up.  If I look at random files, I see the User tag set properly.  Just seems like Media Center isn't seeing the tags properly to filter accordingly.

Any thoughts?  I'm running MC 21.0.30.

Thanks,

Eugene

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Problem with switching between multiple users' media
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:50:30 am »

Hi There
I have the same issue so I would also like to see the answer.

Essentially I have many shared folders linked however we don't want to trawl through our Kids shows every time we want to watch something.

I have tested this with just two shared folders/Imports "Kids TV" and "TV".

I import from the Kids TV Folder and set the the User Tag to "Kids" (which is set up as a user) as the folder imports.

This tags all the kids shows as expected with a "User" of "Kids" however as you say I cannot see the files at all when selecting user "Kids".

I can only see the files when I view as Administrator; as the Administrator is unrestricted.

In theory I could use opposite logic and tag everything with a User ID other than "Kids" which would mean the Kids shows would be hidden unless I view as Administrator. We would then have to trawl through CSI and Dexter when selecting something for the kids though :)

Surely that's not how it's meant to work?!

Help us please - you're my only hope...

Cheers

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:14:52 am »

Please ensure you've read the documentation on Users and that you have it set up properly:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Users

The descriptions in this thread are a bit vague, but it seems like perhaps something was done backwards. For example, you would not use the Files to Show field in the User setup dialog box to restrict files by user ID.

Once you've read through the documentation, if something isn't working as described, can you give very specific examples?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 02:33:09 am »

Here is my process for testing this:

Using Windows 10 64Bit. Latest Version from your Download Section.

1. Uninstall JRiver (Including Library). Delete Folders in AppData etc.
2. Re-Install JRiver Fresh with all default Options.
3. Created two folders "Kids" and "Parents". The Kids Folder contains Teletubbies and the Parents Folder Dexter.
4. Go To "View > User > Add User". Add User "Kids". No Password, Nothing in "Files To Show"
5. Go To "View > User > Add User". Add User "Parents". No Password, Nothing in "Files To Show"
6. Go To "Tools > Import" and select "Configure Auto-Import".
7. Click "Add" and Browse to "Kids" Shared Folder. Select all Default Options Except Add field "User" to the "Custom Tags" Option in the "Apply These Tags" Section. Set the Value of the field to "Kids". Click "OK".
8. Click "Add" and Browse to "Parents" Shared Folder. Select all Default Options Except Add field "User" to the "Custom Tags" Option in the "Apply These Tags" Section. Set the Value of the field to "Parents". Click "OK".
9. Click Finish and let it load the Library.
10. Select "Video > Shows" from the left-hand menu and Dexter and Teletubbies are there as expected.
11. Select Any Episode and Press ALT+ENTER to show tags. Use Top Left Icon to Select "Show All Tags" from Menu.
12. I Can see from the Tags that the "User" field has been set to either "Parents" or "Kids" as expected.
13. Select Menu "View > User > Kids" - get the message "There are no files. Double-click here to add files to the library. Same story with the user "Parents".

What am I missing?! Should I put some Parameters In Step 4?

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 04:16:48 pm »

Bump!

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 04:20:35 pm »

Not directly an answer

But if you aren't concerned about a password protection, it's much easier to configure a view scheme

I'm not worried about my kids getting in to anything so I set them up views that require keyword=kids and all of my views require keyword!=kids

Works great and easy if you just don't want to plow through a bunch of junk to find your stuff

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 04:29:35 pm »

That process looks more convoluted than necessary for testing, but should work.

I'll test it, and see if I can reproduce. Perhaps something broke in Users.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 09:13:54 pm »

I'm not experienced with the Users functionality, but I think it's broken.

I have just 2 users:  Administrator and "dl".  I assigned a couple of albums with [User]=dl .  Then I switched to user dl.  The albums disappeared.  The logic appears to be inverted:  Any files assigned to user X are NOT shown for user X.

I'm running MC 21.0.31 on Mac.

Brian.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 02:16:16 pm »

Not directly an answer

But if you aren't concerned about a password protection, it's much easier to configure a view scheme

I'm not worried about my kids getting in to anything so I set them up views that require keyword=kids and all of my views require keyword!=kids

Works great and easy if you just don't want to plow through a bunch of junk to find your stuff

Thanks; I may give that a bash.

For me it's more to do with us not having to trawl through the many many kids shows to watch want we want.

Similarly; I would rather set up my wife as a separate user so she doesn't have to see that I have a Barry Manilow compilation album. This would only contribute to a divorce...

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 10:37:03 am »

Any news on replicating/fixing this issue?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 03:20:44 pm »

Sorry. I forgot.

I'll try to get to it tonight.

BradATIMA

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 08:22:46 am »

Which Media Center build do you have? There was a fix for 21.0.34 that corrected an issue where selecting users wasn't working properly.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 10:55:55 am »

21.0.23. I'll give that a Try and revert

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 11:12:54 am »

Just re-did my test using MC21.0.50 for Mac.  Now my user who has albums assigned can see his albums.  But he can see everything else too.

So I created another user and assigned one album to him.  Here's what we have:

Administrator can see everything.
User 1 can see User1 files, plus anything that has an empty [User] field.
User 2 can see User2 files, plus anything that has an empty [User] field.

That's ok, I guess, but it requires you to fill out [User] for your entire library, which seems kinda backwards.  Is this how it's supposed to work?

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 11:20:21 am »

That's ok, I guess, but it requires you to fill out [User] for your entire library, which seems kinda backwards.  Is this how it's supposed to work?

Brian.
I thought this was more for filtering out some media, not for censoring . So Parents don't have to see kids cartoons, and kids can have easily find their stuff. So I think it makes sense.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 11:33:11 am »

Just re-did my test using MC21.0.50 for Mac.  Now my user who has albums assigned can he his albums.  But he can see everything else too.

So I created another user and assigned one album to him.  Here's what we have:

Administrator can see everything.
User 1 can see User1 files, plus anything that has an empty [User] field.
User 2 can see User2 files, plus anything that has an empty [User] field.

That's ok, I guess, but it requires you to fill out [User] for your entire library, which seems kinda backwards.  Is this how it's supposed to work?

Brian.

That's how it works at the moment (it's a visible by default system so that people who've never messed with the Users tags can see their libraries); the field can include multiple entries, so it's easy enough to tag everything with a single user, and then add other users as needed if the goal is to hide by default instead of share by default. 

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 03:30:18 pm »

Works now for me so thanks!

As the other user says I have to assign a user to every media type if I want to segregate properly.

That's fine for me as my Kids shows are in a different share altogether so I set the "kids" user on import from that folder and "parents" for the rest of the TV Shows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up