INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When streaming to iPad/Iphone for headphones , what quality am I getting?  (Read 6077 times)

jabwylie

• Recent member

I use Remote to control streaming from iMac to Oppo-103 and get full HD . I can listen to same set up via headphones (plugging into my amp) of of course, however, if I could listen through iPad (play through 'this device') then even better for portability.
So if I use Remote to stream high res music from iMac and play on 'this device' what quality will I be getting ? (source will be between 44.1-192 @ 24bit

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: When streaming to iPad/Iphone for headphones , what quality am I getting?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:06:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure that audio streamed to JRemote as "this device" gets converted to MP3.  I think there's a quality setting in JRemote that controls the MP3 data rate (quality).

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

No, that's not correct, Brian. You can stream natively, and I believe it does so by default (though I could be wrong on this latter front).

Under Settings in JRemote, scroll down to the Playback and Streaming section. It is explained there, but there are two related settings:

* Transcode Audio: On or Off
* Audio Transcode Quality: Low, Medium, High (different bitrate MP3 encodes)

If Transcode Audio is off, then JRemote streams the native file formats. It supports: FLAC, AAC, ALAC, MP3, OGG, and WAV. The file type will be shown in JRemote's Playing Now as the files play back.
If Transcode Audio is on, then it uses the Audio Transcode Quality setting to tell the server what format to give it.

If you have Transcode Audio Off, you'd better either be on a local network with the server, or have much better than average upstream bandwidth on your data connection at home, especially for WAV. I'm not sure what happens if you have transcoding disabled and you try to play a non-supported file format. I'd guess it'll either error, or it'll stream it using the Audio Transcode Quality setting instead. If you have these, you can check the Playing Now screen and see what it is doing.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Interestingly enough, doing that screenshot made me find a minor bug in JRemote.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

blgentry

No, that's not correct, Brian. You can stream natively, and I believe it does so by default (though I could be wrong on this latter front).

Well, that'll teach me to comment on a product that I don't have!  :)  Thanks for the correction.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up