INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do Not Play Silence/Options bug?  (Read 5223 times)

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
Do Not Play Silence/Options bug?
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:34:22 pm »

I'm currently using v21.0.23 but I've had this issue for a few updates now. I open Tools -> Options and uncheck "Do Not Play Silence", then hit okay to close the dialog box. Then I re-open the Tools -> Options, and the "Do Not Play Silence" is re-checked. It's like the Options dialog is not saving my changes.

This gets to be annoying when albums start or end with longer quiet passages (Floyd, and other dynamic prog stuff).

Any idea how I can fix this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Do Not Play Silence/Options bug?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:40:56 pm »

Please try the latest build from the top of this board.

Are you using MC as a client with another copy as the server?

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 01:30:41 pm »

Now using 21.5.50 and the behavior is the same. I uncheck and hit okay. I can even then re-open the dialog right away and it'll be unchecked (the way I want it). But as soon as I start playing a song, it reverts back to being checked. I even tried unchecking and then closing the program completely so it might update the library file with the new preference on close or something, but when I restarted the program, it was checked again.

I am running MC locally, only one copy, on my desktop.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 02:40:12 pm »

I can't reproduce this, and I'm really riddled about what might be happening.  Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:23:14 am »

hmmm just fishing, but do you have multiple zones set-up? a zone-switch rule?

maybe you are successfully changing the option, but not on the playback zone you are currently listening to?.  Under options Audio there is a little dropdown box, so you can change zones to see without backing out of the options.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 06:50:21 am »

Another fishing attempt-
It's not a portable install is it?

-Leezer-

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 10:04:45 am »

hmmm just fishing, but do you have multiple zones set-up? a zone-switch rule?

maybe you are successfully changing the option, but not on the playback zone you are currently listening to?.  Under options Audio there is a little dropdown box, so you can change zones to see without backing out of the options.

The only zone it shows in the dropdown is "Player". So that's the one that's always selected.

I'm running a pretty basic set-up, one install on my desktop, which is the only place I listen to music from JRiver.

If the "Do Not Play Silence" is a preference I can edit somewhere in the library file itself, I'd even be willing to do that every time I upgrade if I have to, it wouldn't be a big deal to open an xml file and swap out a 1 for a 0. I just don't know where to look for that line of code (assuming JRiver wouldn't overwrite that every time I re-opended the program.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 10:05:42 am »

Also if one of the admins/developers thinks it would help, I'd be happy to screenshare or do a remote control session so someone could tinker around with JRiver as it is on my computer.

rdfornasero

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 01:38:42 pm »

I'm currently using v21.0.23 but I've had this issue for a few updates now. I open Tools -> Options and uncheck "Do Not Play Silence", then hit okay to close the dialog box. Then I re-open the Tools -> Options, and the "Do Not Play Silence" is re-checked. It's like the Options dialog is not saving my changes.

This gets to be annoying when albums start or end with longer quiet passages (Floyd, and other dynamic prog stuff).

Any idea how I can fix this?

I'm also having the same issue. Running 21.0.54 with Windows 10 64 bit.

Please fix.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 08:23:33 am »

I'm totally mystified by this.

The setting is stored here in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 21\Zones\0\Audio Settings\Trim Silence

The 0 is the zone ID, so it might be different depending on the zone.

I switch it both ways and watch the "Trim Silence" option in the registry toggle.

There's just no magic there.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 08:24:39 am »

I should add that if you link zones, we'll turn that off.  That's because it just doesn't work nicely with linked zones.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 11:45:28 am »

I don't have any other zones except the Player. And I can reproduce this every time, so it's not a one-time glitch or anything, it's definitely something where my install (and it's been a number of updates now) is just not saving the change.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 12:06:08 pm »

I don't have any other zones except the Player. And I can reproduce this every time, so it's not a one-time glitch or anything, it's definitely something where my install (and it's been a number of updates now) is just not saving the change.

What do you see if you watch that registry key value with regedit?

Thanks.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 02:48:34 pm »

I see it change to 0 when I make the change. Then I close MC. It's still at 0. Then I re-open MC and hit play, then the value changes to 1 all on its own.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 04:35:46 pm »

Do other options in the same area in the configuration stick?
The thing is, its just never stored in the registry alone, its always written as a full block of all the settings on that page. So can you try if the other settings on the options page (like the two gapless settings right below) exhibit the same problem?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 08:41:24 pm »

All the options seem to exhibit the exact same behavior. To test, I set the gapless playback to smooth 1s fading (while also switching off the Do Not Play Silence). But closing, opening, and hitting play reset both options (in MC and in the Registry).

rdfornasero

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 02:01:44 pm »

I uninstalled JRiver, checked the "Remove all Media Center Registry Entries" and left the "Remove Media Center Library Files" UNCHECKED. Restarted my computer and then reinstalled version 21.0.54 and it seems to have fixed the issue for me  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up