INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error drawing using Direct 3D (device lost) [Solved]  (Read 17543 times)

pfm555

• World Citizen
Error drawing using Direct 3D (device lost) [Solved]
« on: April 07, 2016, 04:47:39 am »

I have started getting this popup. It only last a few seconds. I searched and found that in version 16 someone had this error appearing and the suggestion was to update the drivers of the graphics card. I have done that and still see the error. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Error drawing using Direct 3D (device lost)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:59:16 am »

Try rolling back to a previous driver version. A lot of the newest releases (drivers) often have problems.
What graphics card do you have?

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 07:35:38 am »

Same issue here.

Started in v21.0.51

My drivers have not changed but some things in MC were changed:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103792.msg721562#msg721562
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 04:38:34 am »

Other then getting the text showing up, does it have any other negative side-effects, or is Theater View immediately and fully usable?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 07:29:53 am »

No other side effects. After the Error goes away, theater view works fine.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 12:40:33 pm »

I'm getting this error too, since around version 21.0.51.  Have not tested different versions yet, but I might have time on Monday.

For me, it happens if I leave the HTPC (which is used only in theater view with MadVR) idle long enough for the screensaver to kick in.  Then when I push a button to stop the screensaver, only the error message is displayed.  Nothing I can do with the remote helps, except rebooting.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 11:29:57 am »

same here remote is unresponsive when the error occurs. the only way is to use keyboard to clear and get back to theater view and then remote works.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 01:43:15 pm »

I've done some testing with various MC versions.  I'm using Intel HD4600 graphics on Windows 8.1

To test, I leave the HTPC idle on the main screen of theater view until the screensaver automatically starts.  Then I push a button on the remote to end the screensaver.

Beginning with version 21.0.76, when returning from screensaver the entire screen goes black with a white text error message in the center "Error drawing using Direct3D (device lost)".  There is no exit from this screen without a keyboard plugged in, so I have to reboot.

Versions 21.0.54 through 21.0.72, when returning from screensaver the same exact black screen with white error message only flashes very quickly and then the normal theater view screen is displayed.

Version 21.0.50, there is no error message or flash of a black screen.  Everything is perfectly normal.

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 09:08:27 am »

I’m seeing this too…

I first noticed Theater View screen drawing issues with MC version 21.0.50. But only when I accessed my HTPC remotely from my workstation. Screen wouldn’t draw completely, MC was unresponsive. Had to force closure via Window’s Task Manager and restart MC. Annoying when it happened, but for the most part, it was an infrequent annoyance.

With MC Version 21.0.76 I’m seeing the same things others have posted in this thread. Attempting to access Theater View with my remote while MC’s dimming feature was active would consistently throw up the error. Mouse and remote were ineffective. But using a keyboard, I am able to CTRL-1 into Standard View. There, MC appears fully functional…

I’m on the stable upgrade channel.
No known changes to this machine. Same video drivers, etc.

I’ve since rolled back to version 21.0.50.

DotJun

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 12:59:56 am »

This also is happening to me as of the latest update. It happens when I try to access theater mode while Windows screen saver is running. The only way for me to get the message to go away is if I plug the keyboard in or I remote in.

justemer

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 11:31:42 pm »

Same issue here, when coming back from screen saver in Theatre View.

Reinstalled graphics drivers but no change.

I've found that if you press ESC on your keyboard it takes you out of Theatre View and returns you to Standard View.  So that avoids a reboot - but require a keyboard, haven't found anything on the remote that gets you out of the error.
Op Sys: WIN 8.1 64 bit || Tuner card: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 || Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6570

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 06:03:13 am »

Please mention your graphics hardware when reporting 3D-related issues, as they all behave differently. There is nothing we can do without knowing what kind of system is affected.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 06:22:23 am »

AMD Radeon HD 6800 series

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 08:00:22 am »

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

rec head

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 08:39:28 am »

I have been meaning to post about this. I am getting the same problem when leaving the screen saver back into theater view. I am on the "stable" upgrade path and it started with .76.

The easiest fix has been to exit theater view.

I have had a little 3D weirdness too but I haven't really investigated it.

W10 with Nvidea 750ti

CountryBumkin

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 09:06:06 am »

I don't have this problem on any of my machines (all NVidias; Quadro NVS160M, GT640, GTX750, GTX750Ti) but I don't use the Screen Saver.

It looks like everyone with this problem is using the Screen Saver.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 09:11:44 am »

I would generally recommend having Windows turn the screen off instead of going screensaver. I'm not sure how quickly we can do something about this, as the compromise would be to going back to the way that freezes Theater View sometimes, which is even worse because there is no workaround (ie. disbaling screensaver).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DotJun

• Recent member
Error drawing using Direct 3D (device lost)
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 10:09:54 am »

Is jriver capable of playing my photos as a slideshow after a certain amount of idle time, because that's what I use Windows screensaver for?

Btw, I didn't have this problem before the most current jriver update. Also, my graphics is Intel hd4000.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 01:07:04 pm »

It looks like everyone with this problem is using the Screen Saver.

No screensaver used here. I only see the problem for a few seconds immediately after waking the two client PC's from sleep mode. Both ATI 5450 gpus.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 01:36:07 pm »

Just to chime in, I see this error on my PCs using screensavers and it usually has the same symptoms other folks are seeing (brief flash, things work normally); however on my surface pro4 (intel iris 540 graphics) I see the error after turning the display off as well, and the error locks up theater view entirely. I have to force quit.

On the SP4 turning off the screen pushes it into a lower power state (connected standby), so that may be part of the issue, or it could be a skylake integrated graphics quirk. In any case, on the SP4 the error isn't just a hiccup, and disabling screensaver isn't a workaround.  All my other machines show the harmless "flash and gone" behavior.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 02:43:22 am »

We're going to try to restore the older behavior for Intel and AMD GPUs, but keep it as-is for NVIDIA for the time being, as it was originally meant to fight the freezing issue on NVIDIA systems (which turned out to be rather complex to solve).
Maybe this issue is easier to fix than the freezing issue, which didn't want to comply to my wishes at all.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 09:32:38 am »

This problem is fixed in 21.0.80 for me.  Thanks!

adeski

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 09:28:46 am »

I have same problem. I have NVIDIA graphics card Geoforce 405.. Latest driver 341.95. Intel core i3 550@3.2 ghz.

Only occurs when resuming from sleep mode when in Theatre Mode. Screen savers are disabled.

Can you fix for next build?

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 11:23:52 am »

problem is fixed since the update in .80. thanks

rec head

Re: Error drawing using Direct 3D (device lost) [Solved]
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 05:10:25 pm »

I still have the problem in .80. Using Nvidia 750ti

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 01:32:34 pm »

For me, this may be resolved… at least for now. However, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend the path I took to get there.

Upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
Installed NVIDIA driver version 364.72. (From version 358.50)
Updated to MC version 21.0.76 from Version 21.0.50.

No screen drawing/freezing issues when accessing via RDP, when using MC’s ‘Dimming’ feature or when resuming from sleep.

I don’t know if I’d say this issue is solved… but for me, for now, it’s working.

adeski

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 03:09:15 pm »

problem is fixed since the update in .80. thanks

I'm on 21.0.81 from 21.0.80 . Happens under both builds. Like others have encountered, the message is on a black screen and I cannot get out of it until hitting Esc on keyboard.

I'd certainly say it is not solved yet. Thanks

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 09:46:18 am »

Solved for me on Intel hardware, but definitely not with NVidia hardware, which I think was expected based on Hendrik's comments above.

To the devs: if this issue with the NVidia driver is intractable, would it be possible to get a built in screen blanking feature? 

Currently this issue is now locking up the screen on my NVIDIA PCs once the screensaver kicks in (it didn't used to do so), so I can't use the screensaver to blank the screen.  Unfortunately, my main television doesn't behave particularly nicely with the "screen turn off" option in windows (it doesn't turn off, it just shows a large dancing "no input" toast indefinitely, *or* turns itself off in a way that the computer can't turn it back on) so I can't really use that workaround.  A screen saver or other screen blanking solution works great as the TV actually turns off the panel when a full black image is displayed (I've long thought it ironic that I probably get better energy performance with a screensaver than with the turn off the screen option because of Samsung's doofy energy saver implementation).

Just a thought.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 08:55:02 am »

Unfortunately I can't even reproduce such problems. I can toggle the screensaver all I want, but Theater View always comes back fully functional.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rec head

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 09:27:02 am »

I'll try upgrading to .81 but I get the error every time I try coming out of the screensaver back into Theater View. Music will keep playing but I need to go back to standard view.

Win10, Nvidia

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 01:19:03 pm »

Unfortunately I can't even reproduce such problems. I can toggle the screensaver all I want, but Theater View always comes back fully functional.

Interesting.  It's 100% reproducible on my living room system (which had the screensaver set to engage after 1 minute of inactivity), which is running Windows 10 with an NVidia 960 GTX running the latest stable drivers.  I have a few other NVidia systems in the house, so I'll try some testing and see if I can figure out any differential.  

What's more interesting to me is that I didn't get full locks until more recently.  Prior to that I would still get the error on resume, but it would flash and vanish, but lately it's been "sticking."  I think it followed the same trajectory described by Ashfall above:

Beginning with version 21.0.76, when returning from screensaver the entire screen goes black with a white text error message in the center "Error drawing using Direct3D (device lost)".  There is no exit from this screen without a keyboard plugged in, so I have to reboot.

Versions 21.0.54 through 21.0.72, when returning from screensaver the same exact black screen with white error message only flashes very quickly and then the normal theater view screen is displayed.

Is there anything that changed between 72 and 76 (or thereabouts) that might've made the error "stick"?  I didn't see anything likely in the release notes, but I'll attempt a bisect when I get home.  I can live with a flash and gone, it's the hang up that's tough.

Meanwhile, I've got a hunch about some things that might be related;  I'll see if I can track down some kind of difference.  

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 01:28:16 pm »

Is there anything that changed between 72 and 76 (or thereabouts) that might've made the error "stick"?

Not that I recall, but if you can figure out the exact version it started, I can dig deeper more easily.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 05:40:01 pm »

Not that I recall, but if you can figure out the exact version it started, I can dig deeper more easily.

I just stepped through all the beta builds between 70 and 80.  The "freezing" behavior for me started specifically on build 76.  Builds 75 and below show an error, but it flashes briefly and then disappears.  Builds 76 and above show the error in the center of a black screen that freezes there.  It can sometimes be cleared by hitting escape on a keyboard to exit theater view, but sometimes MC must be killed in task manager.

Of note: the error does not appear unless theater view is focused when the screensaver engages.  If I try to manually engage the screensaver (focusing the screensaver dialog box) I have no error in MC when waking the screen by pressing the green button.  I have to turn on theater view and allow the screensaver to engage on its timer to see the error (which can be set as low as 1 minute for testing).

Specific testing environment:

Screensaver is "blank"
Windows 10 64-bit
NVidia 960 GTX (driver version 365.19)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 06:25:01 pm »

Thanks for the testing.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 02:55:06 am »

I found the reason the lost device recovery stopped working, and it should be resolved in the next build. It still flashes the screen briefly after the screensaver, but other then suppressing that error screen entirely there isn't much I can do about that, since the device is lost during screensaver afterall.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 08:01:20 am »

Good deal!  Thanks for looking into it.

Madmaxie

• Recent member