INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging  (Read 3453 times)

mz1012

• Recent member
Tagging
« on: March 03, 2016, 05:24:46 am »

Hi, the more I read the more I am confused. When I am changing the information to my music - does this cause only an entry in the jriver library, or does this also effect the tagging info in the music file itself. Means, when I am performing changes, do they stay in the file, or do I make changes only in the catalogue? As you can understand I would prefer changes in the file itself, of course, to have my data in the file forever. How do I am embed my changes in the file, or is this done automatically? Thank you very much for your assistance.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:04:32 am »

Hi

Most tagging you enter will write the metadata to the file container. Most common fields like artist, genre, etc. will be set to embed the info in the file by default. To put your mind at ease though, check that the fields have the option "Save in file tags when possible" checked in options (Library&Folders=>Manage Library Fields). If you create custom fields you should make sure this is checked too. Calculated fields can't be saved, and sometimes you can have issues with date fields and JRiver system fields (like date imported) but these are not user inputted.

One thing to bear in mind though. Some file types do not support all metadata or don't do it very well. If you are using FLAC, there should be no problem, ALAC for the most part too. WAV files have limitations, and you might have a few extended tag fields that won't write to mp3s. Some file extentions especially video ones sometimes use sidecar files for tags .. this is different of course.

Should you find that you have tagged fields without the option to write to the files checked, you can do this retroactively by right clicking on selected files and choosing Library Tools=>Update Tags from library. this will force embed all the fields marked to write to file.

You can verify what is written by doing a tag dump. Oh and even though you are all set with what you want and have backups of the media. Do not neglect the backup of the library itself. These backup are easy to restore, and IMO should be archived.

hope this helps

mz1012

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 06:33:41 am »

Great, Arindelle, thank you very much. That helps me really a lot!

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:35:13 am »

One VERY important detail: The option that controls whether or not MC writes tag changes to files:

Tools > Options > Importing and Tagging > Update tags when file info changes > (check for writing to files)

Brian.

mz1012

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 07:40:35 am »

How can one do such a tag dump? I would be interested to read that.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 07:54:30 am »

How can one do such a tag dump? I would be interested to read that.

In the new tag window, look at "Tag Dump".

In the old tag window, click the top line that says something like "APE - 4:05 - 21.0 MB".
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mz1012

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:06:37 am »

Thank you. But how do I open the new tag window?
Does that mean "Informations" (in german: "Informationen")? So, f. e., I made an individual column for BWV (Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis), but this is not shown under "informations". So, does this mean that a separate "BWV"-value is not embedded into the file?
And, can I embed the albumcover in the music-file as well?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:24:30 am »

Thank you. But how do I open the new tag window?

Hold shift down while clicking Tag in the Action Window.  You'll then be in "new" mode until you hold shift down again and open.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mz1012

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:53:20 am »

I got it, thank you!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 09:06:19 am »

One VERY important detail: The option that controls whether or not MC writes tag changes to files:

Tools > Options > Importing and Tagging > Update tags when file info changes > (check for writing to files)

Brian.

Tools>Options>General>Importing & Tagging.

Just making this small correction to your typo no one gets confused.

mz1012

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 04:24:15 am »

Hi, I have a new problem with my tagging.

Yesterday I created an individual field in the library, called "Werk", standing for BWV (Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis), KV (Köchel-Verzeichnis for Mozart) and so on. I entered the BWV for ca. 5 CDs, and, as learned yesterday, I could properly follow this up in the tag dump.

Today I made several changes in the windows explorer. I changed Classical music from 1_Music/5_Classic to 1_Music/10_Classic and so on. I imported all files again by new definition in import. But the column "Werk" disappeared, and when I create it again, my "Werk"-Entries of yesterday do not appear. I can follow them up in the file-informations, they are tagged in the files, but they are not shown in jriver.

What did I wrong? And how could I show my Werk-Entries again?

mz1012

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 04:32:06 am »

Oh, I think I got it by myself: synchronizing the library with the tagging data in the file, so, synchronizing into the other direction... okay, great!

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 07:25:51 am »

Today I made several changes in the windows explorer. I changed Classical music from 1_Music/5_Classic to 1_Music/10_Classic and so on. I imported all files again by new definition in import.

First, there's very little reason to edit file tags with another program.  Try using MC for this as it's very powerful and you won't have any problems with trying to sync data, since it will already be in MC.

Second, you don't have to re-import.  You seem to have found the Library Tools > Update Library (from tags).  There's also a switch you can set, which will cause MC to do this automatically whenever MC detects changes:

Tools  > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > update for external changes > (checked)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up