INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WMA Codecs -- Q. for JRiver and Others  (Read 3075 times)

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
WMA Codecs -- Q. for JRiver and Others
« on: August 20, 2003, 09:35:01 pm »

Back when WMA9 was officially released (back in January?), I went and downloaded something from their website, certainly the player, but also (maybe but not likely) a stand-alone WMA9 encoder package.  (At the time, I recall that their site was somewhat confusing in what to download and what not to download.)

Anyway, a couple of months later I came across that dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) program, and with it I discovered I had somehow installed WMA's Professional Series encoders.  (If someone tells me they were installed when I installed dMC's WMA codec plug-in, I won't argue.)

These "professional" encoders are wicked cool (quoting "Mr. Deeds"), and please, no WMA flame wars here. :)  The thing is, only dMC can see these codecs--no other audio program I have can see them, including MC.  Even WMP doesn't give me full access to them:  it won't let me do 2-pass encoding, nor will it let me go up to 440 Kbps VBR like I can do inside dMC (I can only go up to 355 Kbps).

First, does any one know why no other program can see these codecs?  And second, is there any chance you guys at JRiver can give us access to them (if we already have them installed)?  (Since no other program does, I won't hold it against you if you say no. ;))

Clarification:  Decoding is not a problem.  MC (and others) can play these 24-bit files; it's just encoding that is absent from all programs other than dMC.

Omni

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: WMA Codecs -- Q. for JRiver and Others
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 09:06:33 am »

no WMA flame wars

I think the high end WMA VBR format (300+kbps) is rather good.

MP3Pro & Real Audio Sucks!
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 10:18:59 am »

I am assuming you have had a look at the options available with WM9 encoder ? Its a seperate download...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Omni

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 10:38:48 am »

I think the high end WMA VBR format (300+kbps) is rather good.

Yeah, I agree.  That's why I am toying with idea of converting my current 100% APE media library to WMA  440 Kbps VBR.  I have yet to be able to tell the difference on the few files I have ABX'ed.

Though drive space in not really an issue for me, it's really the principle of the matter.  It's just a great feeling reducing a 50 MB file down to 11 MB and it still sounding transparent. :)

Also, that is kinda why I am interested in MC supporting these codecs.  That way, I can quickly convert a file and do a pseudo-good-enough-for-me-ABX test on it.

Omni

Omni

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 10:42:51 am »

I am assuming you have had a look at the options available with WM9 encoder ? Its a seperate download...

I have a common directory I use to save all my program updates.  I looked in there after I posted the above message, and I saw that I only downloaded the player and the bonus pack (which is worthless IMHO).

So either these codecs came with the player, or, as I hinted, were installed by dMC.

Omni

zevele10

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 11:23:31 am »

dMC DOES not install any codex alone-except MP3.

You have to download codex according to what you want

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 01:39:16 pm »

Yeah for WMA. ;D
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up