INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade and playback issues  (Read 2658 times)

Vicx

• Recent member
Upgrade and playback issues
« on: March 06, 2016, 05:33:50 pm »

Hi,
I have a double edged issue with which I need assistance. I recently reinstalled the program on a new PC, but when starting MC received message that trial was expired and I needed to purchase. Attempted to reinstall with my registration code but received message to effect that the code was not compatible with the version and I would have to purchase an upgrade. (I apologise for vague quoted messages, I am not at the PC in question so am quoting from memory). Tried several more times and eventually gave in and purchased the upgrade for nearly $50AUD. I find this outrageous, almost blackmail, when I purchase software I expect to be able to use it even on replacement PC's. Installed the upgrade and now, when attempting to play a movie, receive messages in type in the top left corner that the 'display is not installed or configured....' - again sorry, memory is unreliable. Spent an entire afternoon Googling the error message and following suggestions, still no success. It is very frustrating that, having purchased the software and the upgrade I can not directly access support without having to go through these forums. I  trust that tech support from JRiver will contact me with a solution for this, I am at my wits end and simply do not have the time to waste on trying to solve this myself. Some of the solutions suggested have been way too technical for me to follow, and others simply did not seem to apply to my settings. Note: I followed the instructions re: Red October, the first option does nothing, the second (advanced) results in the top left corner error message.

Please help. Vicki Buckley

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upgrade and playback issues
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 05:51:45 pm »

For your license problem, you may have had a new version installed and used an older license.  Here's how licensing works:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

I don't recognize your second problem.  Could  you provide some details?  OS, what file types you're trying to play, etc.

I find your "almost blackmail" comment a little extreme.

Vicx

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 06:13:00 pm »

Hi Jim, I'm sorry that you find my comment "extreme" - it probably stems from having spent so many wasted hours trying to use software which I purchased in good faith and which would now not work without spending more money. I apologise if I have offended you personally. I do not apologise for my dissatisfaction with this issue and I still object to being forced to pay for an upgrade just to reinstall the software on a replacement machine. I have read the link to which you directed me, and for the record I had previously followed all the steps therein. I was still forced to pay for the upgrade before the program would work.

As far as the second problem: as I said I am not at that PC and won't be for several hours. Basically, I have purchased and installed the upgrade, but am unable to play ANY movie files - files which all played previously. OS is Windows 7. MC displays a message in top left corner of screen which I can not recall exactly at this moment but which relates to display options not being installed. I googled the issue and one of the suggestions directed me to your "Red October" selections in options, neither of these solved the problem. I am increasingly frustrated and grateful for you help.

Regards, Vicki.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 06:29:20 pm »

Vicki,
I didn't read past "forced to pay".  Good luck.

Vicx

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 06:53:09 pm »

Wow, love the help and support here! Are you actually in charge here, or just having a bad day and don't want to help anyone? If you are not in charge, please point me in the direction of someone who is willing to help with the problem I have reported, and address my issue of having to pay for an upgrade that I don't believe I needed in order to make my software work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 07:58:15 pm »

If you need help, please respect those whose help you ask.

Vicx

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 08:04:18 pm »

Hi Jim, I fail to see how objecting to having to purchase an upgrade I don't need is disrespecting anyone. Nevertheless, you have refused to assist, despite this being a support forum, in fact the only support available for users of this product. You, in fact, are showing a great deal of disrespect for me, and for my custom. I am therefore looking at avenues of complaint regarding your attitude, behaviour and treatment of me. Regards,Vicki.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 06:52:28 am »

If you still have a question, please start a new topic with an appropriate title.
Pages: [1]   Go Up