INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Checkbox option to "Always Load default Library" when starting MC  (Read 10894 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I've posted this request in different shapes or forms and this hopefully is the easiest way to implement it.

This would do the job when you use MediaCenter both as a server or as a client on the same PC especially for TV.

If that checkbox is unchecked (would also be the default value) then it would load in the previous state it was in.  As it does now (21.0.50).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

You really should not start separate threads asking for the same thing. It is bad forum etiquette. I'm not an Admin so I can't merge your threads, but previously you said;

I know I 've posted this before but I think I may have found a simple way to implement it..

I have 3 PCs with Capture cards so all of them could potentially be used both for servers and clients (however there's usually one main HTPC that is being used for both server and clients purposes...BUT they all have recording tasks, one for the wife, one for the kids and the HTPC for Sports ie...ME&The boys...)

Would be awesone to have a checkbox to have MC ALWAYS restart with the main library (checked) OR the previous last known state (unchecked).

OR if this one is easier that could also work (but not ideal for both who want the option or not...):

When the last know state was as a client....To give us more time to hit cancel when we get the Server connection prompt and load the main library.

This would be very useful to me and add a lot of 'WAF' value :)

You can achieve the intent of what you want here by modifying the MC Windows Icon/Shortcut properties, adding a Command Line Switch of '/Library "your library name"' to open the library you want, either the Server Library, or the Local Library.

Edit the Icon Shortcut Target from: "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe"

Change the Icon Shortcut Target To: "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe" /Library "your library name"

The icon will then launch MC and open the library specified.

I recommend that you copy the original desktop icon a couple of times, and edit one to start as a Client of the HTPC, and the other to start as a stand alone MC instance using the local library. Name each desktop icon something meaningful for your family users.

Does that help?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

imeric

• MC Beta Team

You really should not start separate threads asking for the same thing. It is bad forum etiquette. I'm not an Admin so I can't merge your threads

The only reason I post more than once on the same subject is to give the developers different ways to achieve the same thing whichever is easiest to code.  In this case I agree my posts were VERY similar so I removed one.  I'm taking a fair amount of my "free time" time to post and try to figure out how to make the software better...The other option is to not do anything and wait for others to do it..

All right back to the topic...This is an AWESOME suggestion I can't wait to try it..Why didn't you bring this up before?

imeric

• MC Beta Team

I just tried this and WOW...This is awesome! I can have two Icons (or more!!) on my desktop one for the local library, one for PC2 and another one for PC3!!

Excellent! As far as I'm concerned this will do and I don't really see a need to implement the checkbox...Developpers have more important things to work on anyway!

Thx a million RoderickGI!

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Just one thing...
If you want to implement this make sure you also change the target shortcut for your main library as well:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe" /Library "Main Library"

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Why didn't you bring this up before?

Because maybe I didn't see it before, or it was late when I did, or I didn't have time, then forgot it.
Because nobody pays me anything to answer questions here.
Because I give up a fair amount of my "free time" to help on the forum where I can, while learning more about the software myself.
Because I almost never post an answer without being very sure, or testing it myself, and in this case I needed to test it first. (I wasn't sure if "Media Center 21.exe" would work, or if I had to use "MC21.exe" instead.)

The accepted way to bring attention to a thread again if there has been no response for some time is to bump it, or if you have new information, add a post. Reposting the same, or a very similar thread again is seen as bad forum etiquette. Regardless, I'm sure JRiver appreciates your feedback and insights, as it all adds to the information available to them.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Understood and I definitely appreciate your help thank you.  Didn't want you to take this the wrong way  :)

I wonder if it's also possible to start it without the server.  So one instance could be run with the server for TV recordings and another instance opened without the server on and just opened as a client to access another machine...

Again, thanks for this amazing suggestion!!!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I wonder if it's also possible to start it without the server.  So one instance could be run with the server for TV recordings and another instance opened without the server on and just opened as a client to access another machine...

If you mean running two instances on the same PC at the same time with different connections to different Server PCs... There be monsters!

Variations of that have been asked about and tried, and after warnings of failure there was; Failure. Things go wrong, because there is only one installation of MC and it isn't designed to share its component files. But files do become shared, and that creates problems. Particularly if a Media Server is involved.

But running two Clients with no local Media Server, connected to two different MC Servers? Maybe. Certainly one Client plus one local library. I've done that, but not for extended periods, and not when using the system to do important maintenance, watch stuff, or when my other half is trying to watch stuff. Dangerous!

As you know, MC can run two instances at the same time though. There is a setting for it. But it isn't well tested, and it is intended for use with the same connections in each instance I believe, not different connections. In fact if Media Server is running when the setting is turned on, then whenever MC is restarted the setting is automatically turned off.

You could try it. But backup your library, and probably best to also backup your installations, before you do. Just in case.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I wasn't sure if "Media Center 21.exe" would work, or if I had to use "MC21.exe" instead.

One note: You should always target the Command Line Launcher (in this case, mc21.exe) and not the application executable (Media Center 21.exe) directly. In most cases, targeting the application executable will not work. In some cases it does, but there is no guarantee that it will remain so in the future.

The proper way to do this is: mc21.exe /Library <Library Name>
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

imeric

• MC Beta Team
Re: Checkbox option to "Always Load default Library" when starting MC
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 09:23:03 pm »

The command line option is not working for me and I can't wait to get a better way to have a PC that can both be used as a server and a client easily.
I've missed a bunch of recordings because of it...
If I leave a PC connected to a client this means I will miss the recordings on that PC and it also interfers with the server PC recordings it's connected to.

Wouldn't it be an easy thing to do to have an option to always revert back to a local library?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 09:42:54 pm »

So, someone runs the Client on a PC, then they either;
1) Leave the Client running, so local recordings will never start
2) Close the Client, and don't start the local stand alone MC session, so local recordings will never start

Which of the above is happening?

Or are you still trying to run the Server and Client on one PC at the one time, and expect local recordings and recordings on the attached Server to still work?

Wouldn't it be an easy thing to do to have an option to always revert back to a local library?

Yes, it is easy to do. A five minute job, or less.
But not inside MC, and as this is a "corner case" it is not likely to get any developer time. It is more likely that Yaobing will work out how to let a MC Client PC use local tuners to record to the connected MC Server, which I believe was the driver for your setup, from memory.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 07:30:33 am »

Thanks for the feedback RoderickGi much appreciated as always.  What is happening is both your 1) and 2).

This second PC (and not the main HTPC) is used for the following:

1. record cooking shows (or else) for the wife;
2. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY (and Ironically in this case...) Will serve as a TV recording backup for important series we're following and being recorded on the main HTPC as well.

What happened last night was the main HTPC missed 2 important recordings that were also supposed to be on that second PC but since it was left connected as a client on the HTPC the recordings never happened there either... :(

So I can't really ask the wife to make sure she goes back to the main library on this second PC as it is definitely not a "WAF" thing to do after watching one of her cooking show....

Am I really a "corner case"?? I've seen these requests posted in different shapes or forms all revolving around the same idea so I don't think I'm alone...

I'd love to get better server/client features but all I'm asking for now is to give an option to always revert back to the main library when closing the client or some sort of pop-up...whatever is easy to implement and works....

(Ideally detaching the server from the client would be awesome but I realise it's most likely not an easy thing to do...)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 10:23:37 am »

We can probably add the option to start in local library, but it will not help you if you forget to restart MC.

In current situation, your client will remain connected to the server.  When you are done with using the PC as a client, you can remember to  switch to local library.

Now suppose we add the option to start in local library, you still have to remember to do something after using the PC as a client - you have to remember to restart MC.  Otherwise it will not help you.

But it probably is an easy enough change I can go ahead with changing it.  In the long run, as RoderickGI said, making MC use local tuner even when it is used as a client would be a better solution.  It has been on my list of things to do.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 10:30:27 am »

Am I really a "corner case"??

Surely you realize that the way you use MC is non-standard.  You have a lot of unusual requirements.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 10:45:33 am »

Yes, it is a corner case.

Recognition is the first step.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 12:12:24 pm »

In the long run, as RoderickGI said, making MC use local tuner even when it is used as a client would be a better solution.  It has been on my list of things to do.
Yep. This would work perfectly thank you Yaobing for having it on your list. I'm sure others (as there are others...) will appreciate this addition as well.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 12:20:49 pm »

Surely you realize that the way you use MC is non-standard.  You have a lot of unusual requirements.

Brian.

A few of my "unusual requirements" were added to MC in the last years and make it a better program that a lot of the "non standard" users you may be referring to appreciate from MC vs other softwares (itunes, WMC and the likes..).

Thank you.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 09:55:20 pm »

Okay, until, or maybe instead of the modification to MC, try this simple solution.

Create a batch file with the following commands;

@echo off
Call "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe" /Library "Your Server Library"
mc21.exe /Library "Your Local Library"

Note, as Glynor rightly points out, you should usually use the "mc21.exe" program to launch MC commands, but that wont work with the Call command above the way you need it to. The "mc21.exe" program will always just run the command and then exit. Using the "Media Center 21.exe" program means that the Call command will execute, and then wait for MC to close, before the last command will execute, and the batch file will exit. This is what we want.

Make sure you save the batch file into a sensible place. I just put it in a new directory I created to test, "C:\Batch Files". You could put it in the MC21 directory, but keep a backup somewhere in case you uninstall MC at some time.

Create a shortcut using the batch file. I just right-clicked, dragged and dropped the batch file to the Desktop, and selected "Creates shortcuts here". Easiest.

Edit the properties of the Shortcut to change the "Run" mode to Minimised, and change the Icon to something you want to use. The standard MC icon is in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe" file. Running the Shortcut minimised means that the Command window will be visible on the Task Bar, but won't popup on the screen. If you want the command window to be completely invisible, use one of the techniques described here.

So, now you have a Shortcut that when double clicked will run the MC Client connected to your MC Server, and when you close the MC Client, MC will open again connected to the local MC library. As long as the person using the MC Client remembers to close it when finished with it, the MC Client should be running at all other times. Well, unless someone closes the second instance of MC. Your users will have to be "trained" to recognise which library MC is using, and act accordingly.

Of course, a user who wants to use the MC Client connected to the Server will need to close the currently open local MC session first, and should not manually switch to the MC Server library. An enhancement of the above, which carries some risk if the local MC library and tuners are being used to record something, is to add a command to close the local MC session before opening the MC Client session. That command should be added just after the @echo off command, and the new batch file would look like;

@echo off
mc21.exe /close
Call "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe" /Library "Your Server Library"

I tested all the above, as I usually do, with MC starting in Standard View and Theatre View. It all works fine. You will need to alter the shortcut when you upgrade to MC22, and manage it during any major system changes, updates, uninstalls etc., since it won't be maintained by JRiver. Not a big ask though. Document it.

Still the above isn't perfect. If the local library is recording something, and a user executes the Shortcut, MC will pop up a message asking you to confirm that you want to close the local library, and that a TV recording is in progress, as per the attached image. If the user decides against this and to keep that recording going, the MC Client won't be re-opened, but the first Call command will still be run. MC will again pop up the message about the current TV recording, and the user will again need to click "No" in the dialogue. Then the last command will still be run. I haven't tested that scenario, where a user tries to open a local library when the local library is already running a TV recording, in fact I can't as I don't have a tuner on my Client PC, but I think attempting to reopen the local library will interrupt the recording. On my HTPC running the MC Server, if I try to switch from the Server library to the Server library, effectively reloading it (I had to use the Toolbar Button to do this, as MC doesn't allow the normal "Load library", since that library is already loaded), I received the normal popup message, as per the attached image. Selecting "Yes" resulting in the recording being stopped and saved, and then restarted again, so that the program was cut into two files. Not ideal. Selecting "No" should result in the attempted switch being abandoned, and the local library continuing to record.

So, as you can see, a fool proof method would need to test for conditions, such as which library is currently running, and is it recording anything, probably using MCWS and a better tool than Windows batch files. You might also want MC to switch to the local library if nothing has been watched on the server library for a period of time. But if someone leaves a Server program paused, and walks away, do you still switch to the local library, and how long should you wait for the user to return to watch the rest of the program? In fact, how often should you check if local library is being run, and switch to it? doing so while someone is browsing media, looking for something to watch, or answering a phone call for a few minutes, could be very annoying. All of that is more programing than I am going to do. All the above could be avoided with a little user understanding anyway. After all, if a user closes the Server library session, then forgets they have done that and doesn't check, and closes the running local library session, no version of MC would be running, and local TV recordings would be missed.

Some of your insights and requirements have been really good Eric, and I'm sure JRiver appreciate that, and the time you put into them. Sometimes you make it hard for us to help you.  ;)

In this case, if you only ever used a shortcut on the Client PC that started MC using the local library, and "trained" your user(s) to simply switch to the Server library, and switch back to the local library when finished, none of this would be required. It really isn't a difficult thing to learn. The process could even be enhanced by adding the standard MC Toolbar button called "Library" to the toolbar, which then allows a user to select the library they wish to connect to using a drop down list. A menu item could also be added into Theatre View to switch to any library you wanted to.

What it all comes down to is; What is a simple, logical way for you and your users to use MC, that is within their capabilities and makes sense to them? Once that has been defined and settled upon, creating a solution is easy. I don't think Yaobing's idea of adding an option to start in the local library will actually assist any more than my suggestions above. The feature already exists, with a little Shortcut maintenance. The real issue is; How will the users use this feature?

In the long run, sharing the Client tuners with the server negates all of the above. . . with some caveats around sharing, priority, communicating availability, and so on. I can think of some failure modes even with that solution implemented.

Anyway, onward and upward. Never look back.  :D

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 10:10:15 pm »

Actually, just looking at that, because I changed the last command from using "Media Center 21.exe" to using "mc21.exe", which means that the command window will close once MC has switched to the local library, you shouldn't need to run the "mc21.exe /close" command any more. I edited and changed some stuff in that post as I tested stuff, but I'm not going to go through it and fix everything now.

So you should be able to use just this batch file;

@echo off

Then each time a user wants to run the server library, use the icon. Or run the batch file from a Theatre View menu item. (Untested.) When finished with the server library, close MC, and it will reopen running the local library. All the other caveats still apply of course.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 11:35:05 am »

I will give this a try RoderickGI and post back.  Thx a million for your help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 01:54:26 pm »

@echo off

That seems like a weird way to solve this issue.

I don't understand why you wouldn't just make an application shortcut with the mc21.exe /Library "Your Server Library" command in it, and use that to launch MC wherever you want to launch MC.

Is there something I'm missing?  The default behavior is to re-load the last-used Library. But you don't HAVE TO launch MC that way. Just change the shortcuts!!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 03:32:31 pm »

That was my question too.

Eric, if all you want is to always start in the default library, I think what glynor says will just work ("Your server library" will have to be "Main Library").  If I understand you correctly, you may connect to a server on occasions and after using MC that way, you close MC.  You want MC to be in the local Main Library the next time it starts.  For this, all you need is

mc21.exe /Library "Main Library"

So I was really puzzled why you said "The command line option is not working for me".

RoderickGI's latest suggestion allows you to start MC connected to a server, when you finish using it as a client, you close it.  The script would automatically start MC again in local library.  If that is what you need, you can use that method.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 06:22:56 pm »

Is there something I'm missing? 

Yes. My original response in Reply #1 was to do what you are now suggesting.

But Eric has a user behaviour problem, not a functionality problem. See Reply #10 and #11. He needs MC to be running connected to the Local library all the time that it isn't connected to the Server library, so that local TV recordings are captured and Server recordings are not interfered with.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 07:40:30 am »

Yes. My original response in Reply #1 was to do what you are now suggesting.

But Eric has a user behaviour problem, not a functionality problem. See Reply #10 and #11. He needs MC to be running connected to the Local library all the time that it isn't connected to the Server library, so that local TV recordings are captured and Server recordings are not interfered with.

Just one clarification on RoderickGI's note above which is very important:  For now I can live with and accept the fact That I WILL LOSE the Server functionality (ie TV recordings) when I use this PC as a client.
My main point here is that when I close the main window when I use it as a client to connect to the HTPC, it will revert back to server mode plus local library for recordings.

When reading this below please keep in mind I still haven't tried RoderickGI and Glynor's suggestions...I will get to this either tonight or over the weekend...

Yaobing last time I tried the command line options, it wouldn't work and the GUI would always open in its current state as this PC is running as a server (therefore it looked like it was ignoring the command lines and that's totally understandble and good behaviour...)

If it was not running as a server yes...The command line options would work like a charm

I tried multiple instances but this got a little too confusing both for me and the wife....And was told this is dangerous territory..Do not want to add any unsupported and/or unstable behaviour...

One thing I didn't explain correctly is....YES what I actually need is MC to go back to the Main Library + Server enabled mode when we're done using it as a client automatically when closing the GUI

SO YES You are correct the closure is way more important as I need MC to go back in Server mode and proceed with recordings for the Wife...

So my Title should actually be this: "Checkbox option to go back to the Main library after Client usage if also used as a server" (This sentence needs rework but hopefully you get the idea... :-\)

Again I need to play around with this a little more based on the feedback received..Thx guys for trying to help..Makes me feel a little better and less of a "Corner case"...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 10:07:04 am »

I have a thought on this. I'll try to write it up.

Long story short: You don't need to close MC to use the /Library command. You only need to check if MC is playing before issuing it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 05:38:06 pm »

Point of clarity: Can we call the main MC Server that you use the HTPC, and the one we are trying to do all this switching on your Wife's PC? Unless you have naming already we can use.

I read that last post carefully Eric. Can you confirm that when your Wife's PC disconnects from the HTPC, does it;

1. Just need to start doing recordings, using the tuner assigned to it? Plus play media locally, on your Wife's PC screen of course. (Perhaps refresh my memory. I think that it uses an internal PCIe tuner card, not a networked card? I know you can't add more tuners to the HTPC, so you connected the tuner it uses to your Wife's PC.)

2. Need to run as a MC Server, with Media Server running, do recordings, play locally and serve media to other devices. (So that you effectively have two MC Servers running on your network, and can serve media from either at any time, except when your Wife's PC is being used as a Client of the HTPC.)

Which of the two above is it? Or is it something else?

BTW, just like the saying "The exception proves the rule", sometimes corner cases improve the software. But development to cover them does need to be justified in the long run.
Pages: [1]   Go Up