INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recordings start early and run late  (Read 5322 times)

Jeepaholic

• Recent member
recordings start early and run late
« on: March 19, 2016, 08:15:03 pm »

I've searched on google on here and can't find the answer, even though this should be a very simple fix.  Like the title says, my recordings all start a few minutes late and run almost 10 minutes longer.  I can't find where I can adjust this.  I've tried more than a few other programs over the years and this was always in a very easy to find, and very logical place. Can someone please point me to where to find this setting? 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: recordings start early and run late
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 09:26:22 pm »

Is the time on your PC correct?

Jeepaholic

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 09:25:11 am »

Yes. Should I just adjust the PC time anyway?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 10:11:03 am »

Assuming the PC time is correct - When you setup a Scheduled Recording in Standard View>Television>Recording Rules, the last page/dialog/settings box has the parameters for starting recording early and ending late (you use +/- some number of minutes). Like "start early = 2 minutes" and "continue recording after program end = 10 minutes". You can pick any existing Recording Rule and click the "make this the default" button and it will apply to all new recordings (and you can still modify individual recordings if you want).

Then if you're in Theater View and you click on a program to record it, it will use those defaults.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 06:22:08 pm »

Like the title says, my recordings all start a few minutes late <snip>

Just to add to what CountryBumkin said.

Assuming you meant to say your recordings start late, and therefore miss the start of the program; when the "Padding" setting at the beginning of a program is negative, that will start the recording late. To start the recording early, a Padding setting at the beginning of a program needs to be positive.

So if your default "Pre-Show Padding" was negative, that would explain why all recordings started late.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 06:26:51 pm »

Assuming you meant to say your recordings start late, and therefore miss the start of the program; when the "Padding" setting at the beginning of a program is negative, that will start the recording late. To start the recording early, a Padding setting at the beginning of a program needs to be positive.
We probably shouldn't allow negative padding.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 07:17:19 pm »

I won't cry if it isn't there, but I use negative padding currently with my setup for a few shows. My Fox affiliate is weird for some reason and is about 5 min off of the hour mark with all of their shows reliably.

I can see how maybe it would confuse people. A simple output label next to it that says "starts 3 min late, ends 5 min late" (or something like that) next to the setting would also probably solve it though.  :-\
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 07:18:35 pm »

Most people would not even think of entering a negative number under normal circumstances.  However, some people do need to start recording late for whatever reason (it was explicitly requested), that is why we allow negative numbers.

Edit: glynor was faster than I.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 07:23:47 pm »

Yes you should.

It is sometimes very useful. For example, it is the only (well, easiest) way to delay the start of a subscription recording if there has been a last minute delay of a program start, where the EPG isn't going to be updated. If say a reality or sports show runs late, as they tend to do, before a program scheduled to be recorded, a user could add a negative Pre-Padding to delay the recording start time, and more Post-Padding to capture the end of the program.

Of course a user can now edit the start time for a program in the EPG/Guide data, but they can't edit the program Duration to catch an overrun, so Post-Padding is still required. Changing the start time requires setting up a view in Standard View that shows the EPG data, and then editing the data before the program start time. That may have consequences in the Guide display and maybe otherwise, since it will create program overlaps.

Negative padding, particularly Pre-padding, is a useful feature. Users just need to understand how padding works, in that a positive Pre-Padding means start the recording early. All PVRs I have used, hardware and software, use that convention. i.e. Positive Pre-Padding means start early, and positive Post-Padding means continue recording for extra time after the program completion time.

Of course there are programmatic ways to get around the above issue, but I suspect that a "Delay recording start time by X minutes" function would still best be implemented using Pre and Post Padding, rather than changing EPG data, since that data would be overridden in the next EPG update. A nice feature would be to collect and use the "Now & Next" data broadcast with programs to adjust recording start times "on the fly" based on minor scheduling changes. That is a big job though, and probably region specific, like EPG data.

There was a post regarding this very recently, here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103863.msg721832#msg721832

... I see both Glynor and Yaobing beat me to it. I should write less. :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 07:10:39 am »

As I said, we probably should allow negative padding.

Jeepaholic

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 11:04:41 am »

Assuming the PC time is correct - When you setup a Scheduled Recording in Standard View>Television>Recording Rules, the last page/dialog/settings box has the parameters for starting recording early and ending late (you use +/- some number of minutes). Like "start early = 2 minutes" and "continue recording after program end = 10 minutes". You can pick any existing Recording Rule and click the "make this the default" button and it will apply to all new recordings (and you can still modify individual recordings if you want).

Then if you're in Theater View and you click on a program to record it, it will use those defaults.

Thanks!  I'll say this, JRiver is VERY unlike every other dvr program I've used.  It seems like everything is buried a few more layers keeper than other programs.  In the end, I have this forum I can turn to, but I'd like to not have to search so hard for simple things like adjusting the padding. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 04:01:55 pm »

As I said, we probably should allow negative padding.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up