Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IFTTT  (Read 3771 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
IFTTT
« on: March 10, 2016, 01:31:47 pm »

Unknown at this time.  We'll get Z-Wave to work well first, then add ZigBee or another protocol.

I wrote a few months ago about my similar experience with the protocols.  Right now, there are devices that use Z-Wave, ZigBee, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, and then several proprietary protocols -- Insteon, Lutron, etc.  It's a mess.

Thanks - what your thoughts on IFTTT
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
IFTTT
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 02:10:42 pm »

It seems interesting.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
IFTTT
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 02:16:48 pm »

It seems that all the stuff I got is IFTTT compatible even though they all have their own API
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
Re: IFTTT
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 02:22:58 pm »

As I understand it (If This Then That), it seems like a way to link apps so you can use events in one to trigger events in another.  This seems interesting, but limited, but maybe I don't understand it.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 05:34:27 pm »

AFAIK, there are several parts to IFTTT:
- Web Server to hold and process all the "Recipes" and "Dos"
- Apps (Web, iOS, Andriod etc) to both create the "If" and "Do" Recipes (see attached pics of examples of the two types)
- Integration with dozens of exisitng IOT devices

I see a couple of options:
- Make JRiver Media Center and Smart Theater IFTTT compatible
- Use the IFTTT calls to control IFTTT compatible devices from JRiver Smart Theater (eg a user whould then not need an IFTTT account as you would control these devices directly, eg it would use the IFTTT Calls to the devices directly).

From Wikipedia
IFTTT employs the following concepts.
Channels are the "basic building blocks of IFTTT",[21] they mainly describe a series of data from a certain web service such as YouTube or eBay. It can also describe some actions controlled with certain APIs like SMS. Sometimes, it can represent information in terms of weather or stocks.[22] There are particular triggers and actions in each channel.[23]
Triggers are the "this" part of a recipe. They are the items that "trigger" the action. For example, from an RSS feed, you can receive a notification based on a keyword or phrase.[6]
Actions are the "that" part of a recipe. They are the output that results from the input of the trigger.
Recipes are the predicates made from Triggers and Actions. For example, if you like any picture in Instagram (trigger), the photo will be sent to your Dropbox account (action).[21]
Ingredients are basic data made available from a trigger. For example, the data that are available from the email trigger include subject, body, attachment, received date, and the sender’s address.[21]
JRiver CEO Elect

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 07:03:19 pm »

I've used IFTTT for a number of years to automate craiglist searches, ebay, weather triggers, auto populating my Google spreadsheets etc and I am 5 years into using a Vera having just updated to the VeraPlus controller for home automation.

IFTTT can be a really incredible tool but I think the feedback from others I've heard is that it really isn't practical for some of the home automation tasks because of the latency in response. Its great for a lot of things but where you aren't expecting an instant response. We typically expect the light to come on when we hit the swtich.  But I love IFTTT and I love my Vera.

Another app I have used that connects different cloud apps/service is Zapier.  Its not free (for very long) but it is more robust.

Looking forward to where JRiver goes with this.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 07:10:57 pm »

We typically expect the light to come on when we hit the switch.
Aye.  There's the rub.

flac.rules

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 01:22:59 am »

I tried IFFT briefly, but it just seems like a less flexible and powerful variant of tasker?

Pages: [1]   Go Up