INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audiobook Handling in MC (and JRemote iOS Too)  (Read 1826 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audiobook Handling in MC (and JRemote iOS Too)
« on: March 10, 2016, 11:18:52 pm »

I've been using MC and JRemote a bunch lately to listen to some audiobooks. We've been reading my daughter some of the early Harry Potter books, and will listen to the audiobook in the car while driving (and when we, obviously, can't read it to her ourselves).

Mostly, MC needs the ability to have a bookmark* that works across a set of audiobook files. Most MP3 copies (and lots of M4B files) are chunked up into Chapters (at best) or sometimes little 5-minute long blocks (ugh). However the tracks are set up on the original CDs. When using MC to play an audiobook as-it-is, it is a game of "did I leave off at file 247 of 659 or was it 274 of 659?"

That is less than awesome.

It's worse on JRemote (iOS) which is, honestly, where I want to use audiobooks most of the time. At least within the right file on MC, it will resume your playback position, but JRemote doesn't resume. JRemote also lacks the ability to skip +/- 30 seconds, which makes it extremely difficult to find your spot, or re-listen to that last stretch when your mind wandered off (or the 4 year old started blabbing over top of the story). And then, it doesn't set the new bookmark on your Library in MC, so you can't then resume playback where you left off at home on MC itself.

MC is close, and most of the tools are "there" but it is frustrating to use it for audiobooks.

* Multiple, even maybe named, bookmarks would be fantastic but I'm not going to get greedy.  ;) ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audiobook Handling in MC (and JRemote iOS Too)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 11:31:22 pm »

I should note... I haven't played at all with linked tracks. If Linked tracks supports Bookmarking across the files (and especially for video files, which are all related) then my argument about MC itself is invalid and my comments reduced to the JRemote stuff.

I just tried. If it works, I couldn't figure it out.

In which case tell me, and sorry. But still JRemote.  ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up