INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging problem  (Read 2293 times)

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
Tagging problem
« on: March 12, 2016, 04:52:03 am »

I am using Xiklone to create a lossy library for my mobile devices. Xiklone has a feature that allows to parse a given tag field and then Xiklone will either create a lossy version of the lossless file or not, depending on the content of that tag field.

My problem is the following:
I have defined a field "Xiklone" in JRiver using the "manage library fields" option. I populated that filed with the parameter "include" for the files I cant converted to lossy. JRiver shows the content Xiklone filed in the tagging screen and in the Xiklone column that I created. So far so good.
However:
- If I use MP3Tag to look at the content of the Xiklone field, it is empty for all files
- Xiklone does not detect the field contents for any files and hence does not convert any files

If I populate the Xiklone field through mp3tag, Xiklone detects the tagged files and converts them. However the files do not show any content in the Xiklone field in JRiver.

The spelling of the Field name and the filed contents is exactly the same in JRiver and in MP3Tag. Somehow it looks like JRiver and MP3Tag are not accessing the same field.
Would be great if someone could give me a pointer in the right direction.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tagging problem
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 07:27:36 am »

MC will write the tags to the files (or not) depending on how it is set.

The options page has a search window at the bottom, in case you can't find the setting.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 07:33:38 am »

You could copy your field to another field that it can see like Comment or something like that.

Is MC's built in transcoding not adequate in some way?  It can be used to make copies based on playlists, smartlists, etc.  Why use an external program?

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 08:32:54 am »

Tag one file with MP3tag and one with Xiklone, then in MC view the entire tag dump and see what name each program is actually giving that field.  There's probably something slightly different

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 03:38:28 am »

Thanks for your inputs, guys. They were helpful and I think my problem is solved

@Jim: In the screen I attached to my first post I checked "Save in file tags (when possible)". However, I found out, MC only writes the Xiklone tag when I select right click / Library Tools / Update Tags from library. After I do that, the Xiklone tag shows up in MP3Tag just fine. Before I do that the Xiklone tag seems to be stored only in the library. Or am I missing something here? Is there another option that needs to be set for the tags to be written to the files automatically.

@Brian: Nothing fundamentally wrong with MC's transcoding. I simply find it somewhat limiting, as I cannot easily chose the tool to be used. I like SOX for resampling, qaac / Apple Core Audio for aac conversion and DSDMaster for DSD to PCM conversions. Xiklone gives me the freedom to use whatever I would like. That's about the only reason I have. Don't get me wrong, MC is a wonderful tool set, and I would have given up on streaming audio a long time ago without it. But like with most multipurpose tools there is usually a specific tool that one prefers for a specific task at hand. Most of the stuff I actually do in MC.

@ferday: See my answer @Jim.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 09:19:31 am »

However, I found out, MC only writes the Xiklone tag when I select right click / Library Tools / Update Tags from library. After I do that, the Xiklone tag shows up in MP3Tag just fine. Before I do that the Xiklone tag seems to be stored only in the library. Or am I missing something here?

As I understand it, tags are written to the files *as* you change them in MC.  However, if you made a bunch of tags and *then* turned on the option to write to files, all of those tags previously made would not be written to the files until you choose to update them.

In other words, that switch only applies to tag changes going forward.  It does not go back and sync your entire library to the file tags.  It absolutely should write all of the tags you change going forward though.

Glad you got it worked out.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up