INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resizing Thumbnails with a Mouse  (Read 3083 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Resizing Thumbnails with a Mouse
« on: March 13, 2016, 04:49:42 pm »

3. Changed: Backed out the Ctrl + mouse wheel thumbnail size adjustment from 21.0.50 since it prevents multi-selection and scrolling in a view.
Can this be made a preference?
I don't see how it prevents multi-selection at all.
CTRL+Wheel resizing the thumbnails matches what most other applications do. E.g. Windows Explorer.

Same thing for the middle-click on tabs. It should close the tab.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Resizing Thumbnails with a Mouse
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 05:38:01 pm »

I don't see how it prevents multi-selection at all.

If someone is doing multiple file selections using Ctrl-Click, and then scrolling down the list while still holding the Ctrl button, thumbnails were getting resized.

But all is not lost. The functions has been returned using Ctrl+Shift+Mouse Wheel in version MC21.0.55. There should be a public release that includes the new function soon.

21.0.55 (3/9/2016)
1. NEW: Ctrl+Shift+Mouse Wheel will adjust the thumbnail size.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RD James

Re: Resizing Thumbnails with a Mouse
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 04:21:21 am »

If someone is doing multiple file selections using Ctrl-Click, and then scrolling down the list while still holding the Ctrl button, thumbnails were getting resized.
But everything else behaves that way too.
JRiver should behave the way that other programs do - including the operating system itself - not create its own eccentric behaviors.
It makes the program difficult and confusing to use.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:24:19 am »

We try not to break existing users work flows for new minor features, and since it did, it had to be changed.
We generally also do not offer preferences for every small bit of behavior, so no, sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RD James

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 04:40:49 am »

We try not to break existing users work flows for new minor features, and since it did, it had to be changed.
We generally also do not offer preferences for every small bit of behavior, so no, sorry.
I was overjoyed that JRiver actually started using standard OS behaviors in 21.0.50
Why are you teaching users bad habits?

If it breaks users "workflows" (I've not seen anyone complain!) then make it a preference that you phase out eventually.
The way that it's behaved until now broke the workflow that millions of people are used to in other programs like Windows Explorer, Adobe Bridge, and any other application which uses thumbnails that can be resized.

Non-standard interactions like these are why people find the program difficult to use.
People shouldn't have to learn all of JRiver's idiosyncrasies.
There's a reason that every other program follows the same basic set of interactions.

Try to find another program that uses middle-click on a tab to change view, instead of using it to close the tab.
Or a program where middle-click doesn't close the tab.
Who comes up with this stuff!?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:37:08 am »

It's coming back holding shift and control.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 06:54:12 am »

I was overjoyed that JRiver actually started using standard OS behaviors in 21.0.50
Why are you teaching users bad habits?

If it breaks users "workflows" (I've not seen anyone complain!) then make it a preference that you phase out eventually.
The way that it's behaved until now broke the workflow that millions of people are used to in other programs like Windows Explorer, Adobe Bridge, and any other application which uses thumbnails that can be resized.

Non-standard interactions like these are why people find the program difficult to use.
People shouldn't have to learn all of JRiver's idiosyncrasies.
There's a reason that every other program follows the same basic set of interactions.

Try to find another program that uses middle-click on a tab to change view, instead of using it to close the tab.
Or a program where middle-click doesn't close the tab.
Who comes up with this stuff!?
I think you're overstepping your authority as a customer.  If you prefer another program, we will understand.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 06:55:18 am »

Exactly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up