INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume control  (Read 4036 times)

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
Volume control
« on: March 13, 2016, 04:42:42 pm »

I recently switched from a Geek Pulse DAC to a Wyred4Sound DAC2DSD SE.  The latter, as the former, has ASIO and WASAPI drivers, but I can't get either to respond to any of the four JRiver volume settings. As I result, I have to control volume from the DAC itself.  I don't recall that this was the case with the Geek Pulse.

Is there a specific "audio" setup that anyone can recommend that would give me adjustable volume using the slider at the top of the JRiver application?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Volume control
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 05:15:40 pm »

The 'Internal Volume' mode should work fine.  That changes the bits that actually get sent out to the device, so there's no way the device could ignore it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 08:01:53 pm »

The 'Internal Volume' mode should work fine.  That changes the bits that actually get sent out to the device, so there's no way the device could ignore it.

Thanks.  Unfortunately, it hasn't mattered which of the volume modes I have selected.  Moving the volume slider at the top of the screen makes no difference, nor does using the system slider on the toolbar at the bottom of the Windows GUI.  

I set up the DAC with a fixed output level, so I now control hardware volume using the volume control on the powered speakers.  The DAC it replaces was set up the same way, but it responded to both volume sliders.

I will contact the manufacturer and ask if I set up the unit incorrectly in some way.

tyler69

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:24:03 am »

Did you try rebooting your PC? I have a "similar" issue: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99379.0 and rebooting the computer helps.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 12:50:37 pm »

Did you try rebooting your PC? I have a "similar" issue: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99379.0 and rebooting the computer helps.

Yes, Tyler, I often have.  This is a permanent state of affairs; has been for the month or so since I added the DAC to this computer system.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 02:35:34 pm »

Something isn't right.  Using Volume set to "internal volume" is not a function of the DAC or the driver.  (As Matt said).  Internal volume mode should work no matter what.

What happens when you use internal volume and you turn the volume slider all the way down, or in the middle somewhere?

Brian.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 05:27:16 pm »

Something isn't right.  Using Volume set to "internal volume" is not a function of the DAC or the driver.  (As Matt said).  Internal volume mode should work no matter what.

What happens when you use internal volume and you turn the volume slider all the way down, or in the middle somewhere?

Brian.

After playing with this more this afternoon, I can add this:  I did not realize that the volume control *does* work for files that are not DSD, i.e., files in .dsf or .dff.   

As I sit here right now, turning the volume down has no effect whatsoever on the volume with these files.  I am listening to Miles Davis in .dsf at full volume with the slider set to 0%.  The system volume setting on the tray also is at 0%.

Changing now to the same album in 24-192, the application's volume slider works.  The system volume setting on the tray remains irrelevant, however, as it has no effect on volume.

With non-JRiver applications, such as YouTube and videos I watch using VLC, the volume settings for the apps and system work as intended.  I can control volume either from within the application (such as VLC or the browser) or I can use the master system volume slider in the system tray.

Thank you to all of you for trying to help me with this.  I apologize for not having done more experimentation before posting the first time.  I think I have narrowed the issue down to just certain sorts of files, as mentioned.

With all other files, sliding the volume bar does turn down the volume. 

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 05:36:06 pm »

After playing with this more this afternoon, I can add this:  I did not realize that the volume control *does* work for files that are not DSD, i.e., files in .dsf or .dff.
When you bitstream DSD files, you have no volume control over them. You can go to Tools > Options > Audio > Bitstreaming and set it to none. The files will be converted on the fly to high resolution PCM so you can control the volume.

The other programs are converting DSD to PCM without your "permission." That is why the volume can be controlled with those programs.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 05:45:37 pm »

When you bitstream DSD files, you have no volume control over them. You can go to Tools > Options > Audio > Bitstreaming and set it to none. The files will be converted on the fly to high resolution PCM so you can control the volume.

The other programs are converting DSD to PCM without your "permission." That is why the volume can be controlled with those programs.

Thanks very much!  Turning off the bitstreaming restored the volume control.  There is an effect on the sound quality -- probably due foremost to a reduction in overall volume -- but I can live with it in a computer desk  system like this one.  If I get the urge to hear things in native DSD, it's easy enough to change the bitstreaming setting.

I believe my problem is solved.  I appreciate the help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 06:44:48 pm »

There is an effect on the sound quality -- probably due foremost to a reduction in overall volume

If you are not listening to matched volume levels it is impossible to distinguish sound "quality".  ;D

MC does as good of a job as is possible decoding DSD to PCM, and it is incredibly unlikely that there is an audible difference in quality between bitstreaming and PCM playback when using the same playback hardware, unless one of the following is true:

* The DAC does a bad job at decoding and playing PCM.
* The DAC does a bad job at decoding and playing DSD.

If you really do hear an audible difference and you're positive the volume levels are matched (using a sensitive decibel meter or some similar method), then either of these is possible (regardless of which format you think sounds "better", because "better" might be "incorrect").

I say this only so you don't "worry about it" at some point in the future. MC's internal volume control is very nice, and the DSP options are amazing. It is fairly silly to give those up for the "benefits" of bitstreaming (which usually amount to a pretty LED lighting up on your DAC). I know. I did it for a long time before I saw the light and converted.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RD James

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 04:04:43 am »

Thanks very much!  Turning off the bitstreaming restored the volume control.  There is an effect on the sound quality -- probably due foremost to a reduction in overall volume -- but I can live with it in a computer desk  system like this one.  If I get the urge to hear things in native DSD, it's easy enough to change the bitstreaming setting.

I believe my problem is solved.  I appreciate the help.
Search for "dither" in the options window and change it from "JRiver Bit-exact" to" TPDF" and there will be no loss of sound quality from reducing the volume.
Pages: [1]   Go Up