INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume control sometimes not working  (Read 5386 times)

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
Volume control sometimes not working
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:29:19 am »

hi there,

i use the setting "system volume" and use the exasound plugin to control the volume. sometimes after switching zones, the slider moves, but the volume stays the same. then a restart of the computer helps. any suggestions or experiences in this regard?

system: latest mc20, win10 (happended also on 8.1).

thanks.

tyler69

Re: Volume control sometimes not working
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 06:00:13 pm »

Bump

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 06:01:49 pm »

Did you try the other volume settings in MC?

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 08:11:07 pm »

I have both MC20 and 21 but can"t get the exasound plugin working in 21... How do I do it?
thx

tyler69

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 02:44:06 am »

Did you try the other volume settings in MC?

The exaSound PlugIn works with system volume or application volume only. Somehow the "connection" from JRiver to the "system" seems to fail in my case I guess.

tyler69

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 02:45:33 am »

I have both MC20 and 21 but can"t get the exasound plugin working in 21... How do I do it?
thx

I remember, with the release of MC20 there was a similar problem. I'm sure, George from exaSound will release an updated version soon.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 05:20:12 pm »

And George kindly replied to me that they will very shortly.  Those guys are great...And so is my DAC :))!!

tyler69

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:10:29 am »

Well, i deleted the exaSound plugin and this issue is still persistent. Sometimes when I switch zones, the volume slider in MC has no effect on the volume.

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 03:32:32 am »

hi there,

i use the setting "system volume" and use the exasound plugin to control the volume. sometimes after switching zones, the slider moves, but the volume stays the same. then a restart of the computer helps. any suggestions or experiences in this regard?

system: latest mc20, win10 (happended also on 8.1).

thanks.

Unless you have to bitstream, which I sort of doubt, try the "internal" volume setting in JRiver...

as the signal is being processed in 64bit there will be so much headroom there is no need for a plugin for this in my opinion - even if you have modifications from room correction software, convolution DSPs, digital crossovers etc.  Am I missing something? JRemote and handheld remotes/tablettes will work out of the box.

Well, i deleted the exaSound plugin and this issue is still persistent. Sometimes when I switch zones, the volume slider in MC has no effect on the volume.
This is probably do to the fact that newer versions of JRiver have their audio options configurable by zone ... including the output chosen. Either you have different volume options chosen for each of your zones or you have the start-up volumes set differently for those zones (or both). In Options=>Audio, use the drop-down box and double check. Making sure your system volume in Windows is at 100%.

If you haven't read this, the wiki might explain a bit more http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume

BTW: I tried the exasound website and its not functioning ... their is a large post on computer audiophile forum  for this plugin

tyler69

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 03:18:06 pm »

Thanks for your suggestion. I'd like to stick to the "system volume" setting though. In fact, I do bitstream, namely .dsf files.

The only difference in the two Zones I use is: the audio output device. On one zone it's the exaSound ASIO driver and on the other on it's the "Default Audio Device". Both volume option and start-up volume are equal across those zones.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 08:07:09 am »

As an FYI exasound now have a volume plugin for MC21

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 05:28:47 am »

Thanks for your suggestion. I'd like to stick to the "system volume" setting though. In fact, I do bitstream, namely .dsf files.

The only difference in the two Zones I use is: the audio output device. On one zone it's the exaSound ASIO driver and on the other on it's the "Default Audio Device". Both volume option and start-up volume are equal across those zones.

I'm a bit confused about this. I understand why one would want to use the ASIO driver provided by a high end DAC manufacturer, of course. I do not understand why anyone would want to use system volume (unless there are no other possibilities of course) -- keep dirty OSs out of the chain as much as possible I'd think.

I can see why certain formats or network devices might be limited to bitstreaming ... but why would one want all content bitstreamed? Lots of functionality is lossed like gapless playback right?

Also, I don't understand what the plugin does that "internal volume" does not do. Why add a layer of processing - or is this just what the manufacturer recommends using? Is it also 64bit?  I'm not sure what your default audio device is, but it if its a on board one you still have to choose between WASAPI or ASIO or something else. I think it would at least be worth trying a no bit-streaming zone using internal volume.

If I was to set-up the OPs system without any knowledge or reading their website. I'd set-up first one zone using the Exosound Driver, Internal volume, no bitstreaming. A second one with bit streaming filtered on the file type that might need it. (using a zone switch rule).

What am I missing? thx, I'm curious

tyler69

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 06:17:09 am »

The point is: sometimes when I switch zones, the volume slider in MC has no effect on the volume. Regardless of the PlugIn.

Arindelle

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 02:53:18 am »

The point is: sometimes when I switch zones, the volume slider in MC has no effect on the volume. Regardless of the PlugIn.

could be that you are forcing bitstreaming for all content (instead of just DSD content for example) .. if so check "Enable Volume while Bitstreaming" under options (or by clicking the volume icon in the player window in standard view). Do this for each zone bitstreaming is forced". Check that volume is at 100% in windows as I said before too.

The "point" being that I'm not sure what is controlling your volume

I'm not an expert on your dac but it looks like it can "control" volume (digitally or analogue not sure) ... so if you are setting up using system volume, your DAC volume + maybe an analogue pre-amp .. add a plugin and you have a bunch of potential controllers in the chain. I am not sure, but if you insist on using system volume+ bitstreaming, your aren't using JRiver as a renderer and as a controller it is being limited to its library functions .. someone else could confirm this? or ask on their forum.

PS - For me application volume choice is the "dirtiest", followed by system volume which is using the windows mixer ... disabled volume and internal volume (with output set to 100% in the OS) are the audiophile choices .. if they recommend system volume/bitstreaming I bet it is for DSD playback and not for PCM .. might want to inquire about that
Pages: [1]   Go Up