INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAV plugin was missing - How do I install  (Read 11269 times)

ckbeme

• Recent member
LAV plugin was missing - How do I install
« on: March 09, 2016, 12:09:28 pm »

Greetings,
I hope this gets read. I see this MC20 forum hasn't had a post in a few months. But some of us folks can't upgrade every time a new version comes out.
I got the error message "Failed to load the LAV splitter" when trying to play a video file - any type.

My firewall is very aggressive, and I went into settings and opened up almost all of JRiver .exe files - no change.
I have 3 questions:
1. I found the latest LAV plugin and downloaded it from http://www.free-codecs.com. I copied into the plugin folder LAV (which was empty). Retarted MC, no change

2. How do I "install the plugin?" I didn't figure it would work with me just copying the files into the LAV dir.

3. Where in MC 20 do you have an option for anything related to plugins? - Like what plugins are installed? What plugins are available? What plugins do I NEED

I saw a post with the same error message, read the entire topic, but still don't know what the user did to solve problem. It says solved, and user said it was an Internet permission. But there were no details.

Thanks for any help. FYI I'm running MC 20.0.52

ck

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: LAV plugin was missing - How do I install
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 12:24:32 pm »

If LAV isn't getting downloaded, it is very likely that your security is screwed down too tightly.  LAV isn't a normal plug-in.  You need to let MC install it.

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 04:07:11 am »

if your firewall or router is really "aggressive" try excluding the services .. mediacenter is one of them but you might want to try all that start with JR (ie. jrworker) there are 3 of those just not where I can check now.

BTW there are two places you can add plugins (search option box in Options or via DSP studio for VSTs); BUT as Jim said, don't do this for LAV or IMO any missing video codecs ... I did this once and it was a real pain in the butt getting rid of what I loaded in error. Let JRiver load it.

ckbeme

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 08:55:49 am »

Thanks to both of you. I opened up all of the MC 20 exe's and restarted MC and it installed. I also found the plugin area of options soon after my post. Duh!
 ? ?

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 02:33:45 pm »

Same issue here, however i am on a machine that is not connected to the internet (and won't ever be). I searched and found the filters, installed them in their default directory, but jriver doesn't seem to find them. Anyone have any insight as to where they need to be for jriver to use them? I will only be playing locally stored media on this machine, no streaming & no security software. (Don't want to expose my collection(s) to any possible corruption/updates of meta tags, etc). I also can not seem to find the "plug-in" section/manager mention above. Nothing listed in "tools" > "plug-in manager" as stated in the wiki. Also found this info (below) in another thread, but my version has no plug-in folder.

Correct folders:
LAV: AppData/Roaming/J River/Media Center XX/Plugins/lav
and if using ROHQ
madVR: AppData/Roaming/J River/Media Center XX/Plugins/madvr

--Tom

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 05:38:45 am »

Just placing the files is not going to work. MC needs to download them itself. Working entirely without internet is not something MC was designed for, sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 05:43:18 am »

Same issue here, however i am on a machine that is not connected to the internet (and won't ever be). I searched and found the filters, installed them in their default directory, but jriver doesn't seem to find them. Anyone have any insight as to where they need to be for jriver to use them? I will only be playing locally stored media on this machine, no streaming & no security software. (Don't want to expose my collection(s) to any possible corruption/updates of meta tags, etc). I also can not seem to find the "plug-in" section/manager mention above. Nothing listed in "tools" > "plug-in manager" as stated in the wiki. Also found this info (below) in another thread, but my version has no plug-in folder.

Correct folders:
LAV: AppData/Roaming/J River/Media Center XX/Plugins/lav
and if using ROHQ
madVR: AppData/Roaming/J River/Media Center XX/Plugins/madvr

--Tom

try this and see if it works.....*****see below Quote before atempting this*****

LAV isn't a normal plug-in.  You need to let MC install it.

tools>options>general>advanced>install plugin from file

Just placing the files is not going to work. MC needs to download them itself. Working entirely without internet is not something MC was designed for, sorry.

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 12:44:06 pm »

Thanks Tao, Hendrik,

That is really disappointing. It seems almost unbelievable that i am unable to view pictures or a video with JRiver. After years of struggling with Windows Media Center i though i had finally found a working solution. There is no streaming service that can compare to a well organized and well tagged music collection. Having spent over twenty years building my collection, i have no interest in allowing any program to expose my collection to the internet. Who knew that the internet would be required to view one's personal vacation videos! Welcome to the 21st century! I certainly wish i had known up front that the internet was required, it would have saved me a lot of time.

I'll try and add the LAV files to the suggested directory, as at this point i have nothing to lose and report back with the results so others can learn. I'll also continue to search out an alternate program that doesn't require the internet to function. If anyone has any suggestions it would be most helpful (10 ft interface, w/capability to play local music & video).

Thanks for your help,
Tom

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 12:52:47 pm »

Why is it a problem to connect the machine to the Internet?

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 01:20:18 pm »

I am treating the pc as a stereo tuner of sorts for my private entertainment center. It has no wi-fi card or lan connection, in lieu of a high quality hi-fi card. As mentioned, i have spent decades building a collection and do not want viruses, updates, security software, etc, etc to be in the mix. This is for both security of my files as well as smoothness of operation, i.e. no windows updates required, no viruses, no issues with security programs (as was suggested earlier in this thread), in effect a standalone player that just works, without having to constantly deal with changes in the operating system, etc. My needs are more simple, and i really don't need a product that tries to do everything. But JRiver seems so promising, as it's customization would allow me to use only the portions i want and ignore the rest. I suppose i could still just use it as a music player, which it is very good at (looking past the UI navigation issues) but it's unfortunate that i will need to use a separate program to view home movies, etc.  

- Tom

PS - I encountered issues with the music player as well, but was able to overcome them by installing a new driver for 3D rendering (directx error), so i am hoping that i can do something similar for videos....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 01:35:13 pm »

Generally, you don't have to worry about security on most outbound access.  You could run a firewall that shut down all inbound access.  It would still allow MC to get what it needs.

Having an active network won't affect audio or video quality.

But if you want to do it your way, that's fine.  I'm going to lock this thread soon since it is an unsupported use of MC.

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 02:08:12 pm »

Unsupported use? A customer can't use the software as they choose? Or solicit help from other users? Or allow me post a possible solution? Wow.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 02:11:59 pm »

Unsupported use? A customer can't use the software as they choose? Or solicit help from other users? Or allow me post a possible solution? Wow.

You can use it however you like, but MC is designed with certain restrictions in mind, requiring an internet connection to download video plugins being one (which isn't an outrageous demand in 2016), and we can't offer support for setups which do not fullfill these requirements - hence unsupported.

You could try to work around it by installing LAV in the system (through the LAV installer), selecting an advanced video mode, and selecting custom components (ie. the system installed LAV) for all parts involved in the process, Splitter/Source, Audio Decoder, Video Decoder.
I *think* it should then be happy without downloading anything, assuming you provided all playback components it would want. Note that such a setup is still "unsupported", and if you encounter playback problems, you'll likely be asked to test straight Red October again.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up