INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Customize Views in Theater View?  (Read 4308 times)

mx4789

• Recent member
How to Customize Views in Theater View?
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:29:07 pm »

At the risk of hijacking this thread, do you know how to do just the opposite in Theater View? When I sort by Artist is shows all albums by a particular artist as stacked (R.E.M. for example). I hate that. I want to sort by artist and have it show *all* albums sorted by artist as individual thumbs and not have all of my REM albums under one thumbnail. (BTW, great explanation of how all of that works!)

Maybe I'm weird, but when looking at my albums I want to see all of them listed and not just one "stacked" thumb per artist.

In other words, imagine looking at books on a bookshelf, or albums on a rack as opposed to looking at piles on the floor. Instead of having all of your REM albums in one big pile on the floor they are placed on a shelf (under the letter "R") and you can see Document, Dead Letter Office, Automatic for the People, etc.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to Customize Views in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 12:03:48 am »

I split this off because it isn't related.

You can do this. You need to customize the Views in Theater View. It will display whatever categories you want. It sounds like you don't want the [Artist] category you have in the view you're using.

All of the Media Views in Theater View can be customized, just like those in Standard View. You do this in Tools > Options > Theater View. Unfortunately, there isn't good documentation on this on the Wiki. But it sounds like what you want is quite simple, so you can probably figure it out.

The Items to Show section shows your different available Views in Theater View. You can make new ones, or change settings for the existing ones by selecting them.

When you select one of them, it will show the settings for that View on the right-hand side of the dialog. There are a few different View types in Theater View. The ones you care about are the ones under Audio. I'm not sure which of the default ones you're using but it is probably the Artist one. Anyway, find it and select it. Over on the right-hand side, you'll see a Details section, like this:

You can modify the one that is there if you'd like, but probably instead make a copy. So, assuming you are using the default Artist view currently, then do this:

1. Select Audio in the list of Views (not Artist this time, the top-level Audio item).
2. Click the Add button in the Items to Show section and choose Library Item.
3. This will make a new blank view called New Library Item just underneath Audio.
4. Select it, and in the Details section, name it "Albums" or something similar.
5. Click the Add button in the Details section and choose Album from the list of fields in the Category Editor.
6. Click OK. This will add an Album category to the View, which you can see listed in the big box under Details.
7. Under the Options drop down, de-select Display All as a choice. This is Optional, but I'd probably recommend it for this kind of View.
8. If you want the View to have a particular sorting (or any other filters), click the Set Rules for File Display button and add a sorting or search or whatever.

It is possible you've already tried this. The problem is that the sorting you apply in Step 8 above apply only to the file-level of Theater View (when looking at the list of actual files). When you're looking at the Album Thumbnails, you're looking at the Category, not the files. And Categories have their own sorting. The default is ascending, so your new Albums view will be sorted alphabetically by album name, not grouped by Artist.

That can be fixed. There are a few ways, but I think for your purposes, the simplest will probably be best.

1. Go back into the Albums View you made in Options, and select the Album category you added, and click Edit.
2. In the Category Editor, change the Type to Expression.
3. Name it Albums, or maybe Artist Albums. Your call.
4. In the Expression to group by box, put: [Artist] - [Album]

It should look like:

Click Ok and Ok, to back out of the Options dialog. Re-launch Theater View and you should have a new view called Albums that behaves more like what you want.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mx4789

• Recent member
Re: How to Customize Views in Theater View?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 08:05:41 pm »

Thanks! I think that will do the trick. I will give it a whirl this weekend and report back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up