INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC client over internet  (Read 4958 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
MC client over internet
« on: March 19, 2016, 10:56:59 am »

Can a full install MC client run over the internet? That is, server run at my house, partner-in-crime creating playlists and editing via client install 50 miles away? How, please.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC client over internet
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 11:44:52 am »

Yes.  See the wiki topics on Media Network and Media Server.

Set up locally first if possible.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 11:52:44 am »

Yes.

To connect to a Library Server, Media Center needs to be able to reach that Library Server's Web Service via the TCP Port defined in Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > TCP Port, and have the username and password to authenticate to it. This port is 52199 by default.

So, there are two ways you can make this work from across the Internet:

1. Port Forwarding: You can forward the port through your home router's firewall to the Server. How you do this varies dramatically depending on your particular network setup, but there are a ton of resources online about Port Forwarding. Here are a couple simple guides:
* http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Port-Forwarding-on-a-Router
* http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/general-port-forwarding-guide/

2. VPN: Instead, you could set up a VPN for your friend, so they can connect to your network as though they are on the local LAN.

This is much safer than using Port Forwarding. Please note that MCWS (the web service that backs Media Network functionality in MC) does not currently use TLS encryption (like a HTTPS website). This means anyone monitoring your network traffic with a packet capture (or that of your friend connecting to your server) could sniff the username and password and all other connection details needed out of the traffic, and use this information to connect to your Library Server themselves, and now they can create and delete playlists, tag files, and delete things at will. Port forwarding also directly exposes the Media Center processes to the Internet (and relies on JRiver to never have any buffer overflow vulnerabilities in their web service).

Creating a VPN, though, is a bit more complex than just forwarding a port. Once done, however, it will provide additional functionality to your remote user (as they can also have direct access to any filesystem shares you've created at home). Again, it is a bit out of scope for Interact to give you detailed assistance on creating a VPN at home, but here's a decent resource with some options:
http://www.howtogeek.com/221001/how-to-set-up-your-own-home-vpn-server/
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 01:25:37 pm »

Last time I tried, everything worked great, but you couldn't stream TV, or maybe it was that it couldn't be compressed to fit within the available bandwidth...one of the two. Music and pre-recorded video worked fine though.  Another thing to keep in mind is that if you do need to compress any video to make it fit in the bandwidth, that can be a burden on the CPU of the server.

Of course, if it is only audio, then it is probably not a big deal.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 12:38:57 pm »

Yes.

To connect to a Library Server, Media Center needs to be able to reach that Library Server's Web Service via the TCP Port defined in Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > TCP Port, and have the username and password to authenticate to it. This port is 52199 by default.

So, there are two ways you can make this work from across the Internet:

1. Port Forwarding: You can forward the port through your home router's firewall to the Server. How you do this varies dramatically depending on your particular network setup, but there are a ton of resources online about Port Forwarding. Here are a couple simple guides:
* http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Port-Forwarding-on-a-Router
* http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/general-port-forwarding-guide/

2. VPN: Instead, you could set up a VPN for your friend, so they can connect to your network as though they are on the local LAN.

This is much safer than using Port Forwarding. Please note that MCWS (the web service that backs Media Network functionality in MC) does not currently use TLS encryption (like a HTTPS website). This means anyone monitoring your network traffic with a packet capture (or that of your friend connecting to your server) could sniff the username and password and all other connection details needed out of the traffic, and use this information to connect to your Library Server themselves, and now they can create and delete playlists, tag files, and delete things at will. Port forwarding also directly exposes the Media Center processes to the Internet (and relies on JRiver to never have any buffer overflow vulnerabilities in their web service).

Creating a VPN, though, is a bit more complex than just forwarding a port. Once done, however, it will provide additional functionality to your remote user (as they can also have direct access to any filesystem shares you've created at home). Again, it is a bit out of scope for Interact to give you detailed assistance on creating a VPN at home, but here's a decent resource with some options:
http://www.howtogeek.com/221001/how-to-set-up-your-own-home-vpn-server/

Thanks for this, I am planning to use the port-forwarding option with my friend, and she has previously connected to my library using webgizmo, so I know that works. I have the port open.

What's unclear, what we cannot seem to figure out is how the CLIENT needs to be configured to attached to my server & library. We tried putting the access code in, but clearly there has to be more. I'm pretty sure from the client side, there's some magic to "connect to remote library" and the settings there.

Please and thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 02:29:40 pm »

What's unclear, what we cannot seem to figure out is how the CLIENT needs to be configured to attached to my server & library. We tried putting the access code in, but clearly there has to be more. I'm pretty sure from the client side, there's some magic to "connect to remote library" and the settings there.

Where did you put the Access Key in?

If you put it in Tools > Options > Media Network > Access Key that is the wrong place. That's how you set the access key for the Server. However, it should not ever be set here manually, unless you're migrating from an old server to a new one. If that's what you did, you'll need to fix it by resetting her access key (click on the ellipsis button next to the word Access Key there and choose Reset). Otherwise there will be two Libraries on JRiver's servers set to the same Access Key and it'll cause problems.

To connect a client copy of MC to a remote Library, you select the Library Manager in the Tree, and click the Add Library button. When the Add Library dialog comes up, give it an appropriate name (like "Your Name's Library" or something) and choose Library Server as the type. In the Access Key box, enter your Access Key from your server.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 03:43:10 pm »

OK, I've tried everything I could think of (access code, url), and nothing works.

Potential problem: I moved my server machine yesterday, from a laptop to a desktop. I basically backed up the library, unchecked/checked the client server checkboxes in the software on each of the machines, and then restored the library to my desktop. I deleted the port forwarding on the laptop, and created a new one (UDP and TCP) for my desktop.

Now, my friend cannot even get to the previously-accessible webgizmo link (hopefully there's an "AH-HA!" for someone smarter than me?).

I'm out of ideas... I can access the server on my Android device (both connected, and disconnected from my home network).

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 04:42:59 pm »

Check the Windows firewall.  Either allow Media Center through it, or turn it off.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 07:36:16 am »

Thanks, but I use Norton, and it allows all MC traffic.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 08:24:31 am »

Something is blocking it. That's all that is required.

I use this basically every day.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 08:28:19 am »

I appreciate that, really I'm trying.

And I had it working before, when the server was on the laptop. Something changed when I moved it to desktop. By changing the port-forwarding, I was certain I had accommodated for the change.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 10:02:32 am »

Did you check that you are forwarding traffic to desktop home network IP address instead of that laptop which you used before? It most certainly is either firewall or router issue.

Does it work in your home network? e.g. Is the library accessible from your laptop?

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 10:08:44 am »

Thanks, yes: Accessible via laptop (client) and Android phone (JRemote). I think I'm on to something... changed open port back to the open port number used on the laptop, and it works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up