INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver and NAS  (Read 2678 times)

cmg

• Recent member
JRiver and NAS
« on: March 31, 2016, 04:23:47 pm »

Hi

I run jriver on a notebook and the files are in folder called "music" (very unusual ...) on a NAS.
This folder is mapped as "Z". JRiver knows that the files are in "Z".
My question is, that folder is needed to be mapped or JRiver works if pointed as: Network ->NAS->music ?

Thanks in advance
Regards

Otello

• World Citizen
Re: JRiver and NAS
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 04:44:02 pm »

Mapping the drive in My Computer is enough.

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:16:44 pm »

Media Center on Windows is also able to do UNC paths. You can specify a UNC path instead of using a mapped network drive with a drive letter.

I use UNC paths to specify where my files are and to specify the watch folder and other folders that are on the NAS.
A UNC path in Windows looks like \\server\share\folder\

Mapping a network drive to a drive letter will also work. All depends on what method you prefer.

cmg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:25:50 am »

Hi Othello
Hi Frobozz

My question has to do with security issues.
Few months ago, a cryptolocker was introduced on a PC where folder  " Z"  was mapped. Thus virus encrypts all my docs, music and image files on the PC and dozens of music and covers on NAS (It does not spoil much more because I noticed an abnormal activity on NAS and shut it off) but do not harm the folders I had under the network.
That's the reason for my question.
Thanks
Regards

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 02:48:43 am »

Old versions of the encryption malware were only able to follow local and mapped drives (drives with a drive letter). I've read that new versions are able to use network discovery to find other shares the user has access to. I'd assume that new versions of the encryption malware will be able to find and encrypt any drive that can be displayed in Windows File Explorer or in the Network tree in File Explorer and that doesn't need a password typed in every time the share or drive is accessed.

Defense would be to have backups for the local computers and for everything on the NAS. And keep a backup offline (unconnected to any computer) so that the backups can't get encrypted.

Secondary defense would be to have some shares on the NAS that are only accessible to certain accounts on the NAS. For example, create a "music" user on the NAS that has access to the music share. Configure that account and configure Windows so that you have to manually type in the password for that account every time you want to access that share. And just hope that you're not logged in to your music share when/if an encryption malware hits you. Not terribly practical for all uses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up