INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how can i change the order of playlists in the playlist tree?  (Read 3930 times)

bMinor

• World Citizen

i get 3 options when trying to drag a playlist in the playlists tree to a different location: move - copy - cancel. copy works as expected but selecting ‘move’ just snaps it back to the location it came from.
how?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: how can i change the order of playlists in the playlist tree?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 07:18:34 am »

I'm pretty sure that playlists are locked into alphabetical order.  Playlist groups are similarly locked in alphabetical order.  You could make some playlist groups and move important playlists into a group near the top.

Or you could assign favorite playlists to the buttons above the Playing Now list.  You know, the rectangular buttons numbered 1 through 12?  That makes them very convenient to locate quickly and play.

Brian.

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 07:40:54 am »

I'm pretty sure that playlists are locked into alphabetical order.

it seems like that.
makes me wonder though why an 'insert arrow' pops up when trying to drag a list to a diff position and also what the 'move' option is there for...

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:00:17 am »

makes me wonder though why an 'insert arrow' pops up when trying to drag a list to a diff position and also what the 'move' option is there for...

Because you can move and copy playlists to playlist groups.  You can also move and copy Views from view group to view group.  The arrow and menu are common interface elements.  I'll agree that it might be confusing though, as you might expect the playlists to re-order when you drag them, given that the arrow appears.  But it's not so.  As far as I know anyway.  :)

Brian.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:49:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure that playylists are locked into alphabetical order.  Playlist groups are similarly locked in alphabetical order.  You could make some playlist groups and move important playlists into a group near the top.

Or you could assign favorite playlists to the buttons above the Playing Now list.  You know, the rectangular buttons numbered 1 through 12?  That makes them very convenient to locate quickly and play.

Brian.

How do you assign play lists to the buttons? The only options are "static," basically the same items already in the playing now list, or "Play Doctor." I'd like to assign playlists I've already built to the buttons, including smartlists. Is that possible?
Thanks!

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 07:00:38 am »

How do you assign play lists to the buttons? The only options are "static," basically the same items already in the playing now list, or "Play Doctor." I'd like to assign playlists I've already built to the buttons, including smartlists.

Those buttons store their playlists in a special playlist group named "Car Radio".  The playlists that are assigned to these buttons are separate playlists.  You can assign a playlist you already built to one of those buttons by playing the playlist and then holding down the button you want to assign it to.  But I understand what you are saying:  When you do this, it assigns a COPY of the playlist, not the playlist itself.

You can move playlists into the Car Radio group and they will stay there.  Even smartlists!  But be very careful.  I would personally use Copy instead.  Because you must name the lists in Car Radio with a number and a period like "11. Great Smartlist".  If you don't put the number there, the next time you open Playing Now, the list will be deleted.

Once they are in the Car Radio group, you can edit them just like any other playlist.  Note that you can also assign play charts here.  Which I guess are like Play Doctor lists, that consider the whole list as part of the Play Doctor smart matching.

I hope that helps.

Brian.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 12:19:10 pm »

Those buttons store their playlists in a special playlist group named "Car Radio".  The playlists that are assigned to these buttons are separate playlists.  You can assign a playlist you already built to one of those buttons by playing the playlist and then holding down the button you want to assign it to.  But I understand what you are saying:  When you do this, it assigns a COPY of the playlist, not the playlist itself.

You can move playlists into the Car Radio group and they will stay there.  Even smartlists!  But be very careful.  I would personally use Copy instead.  Because you must name the lists in Car Radio with a number and a period like "11. Great Smartlist".  If you don't put the number there, the next time you open Playing Now, the list will be deleted.

Once they are in the Car Radio group, you can edit them just like any other playlist.  Note that you can also assign play charts here.  Which I guess are like Play Doctor lists, that consider the whole list as part of the Play Doctor smart matching.

I hope that helps.

Brian.

Got it. Took me a min to figure out I needed to use the copy/paste in the edit menu at the top, instead of right clicking the smartlist and looking for a copy option. Worked perfectly.
Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up