INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver as alarm clock?  (Read 6868 times)

aysil

• Recent member
JRiver as alarm clock?
« on: March 22, 2016, 09:41:22 pm »

Is there a way to use MC as an alarm clock? The method described here does not seem to work, as "Jump to Playing Now" option does not exist any more: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Start_Media_Center_at_Specified_Time

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver as alarm clock?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 11:45:44 pm »

The setting is called "Jump on Play (audio)" which should be set to "Playing Now", although I don't think that would be really necessary. I have never seen the Media Scheduler in MC though.

However, just make sure you have Playing Now populated with what you wish to play, then set up a task in Windows Task Scheduler to play MC. The action for the task could be as simple as "mc21.exe /play". Have Media Server running in the background, even without the MC User Interface running, and when the Windows task is executed, MC will start to play the music you have pre-loaded into Playing Now.

There are more options you could use in the task listed under MC Command Line and Media Center Core commands.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 07:53:55 am »

Just a note that a scheduler is part of the program.  It's under Services & Plug-ins > Scheduler in the tree.

I had long wanted that years back and our then CTO kept resisting.  He finally buckled, and it's there!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

aysil

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 08:47:06 am »

I wish such convenience features were more straightforward to use in MC.
Matt, is the scheduler also part of the mac version. I am on mac at the moment, and I cannot find it...

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 08:55:38 am »

It's absolutely part of the Mac version.  See attached screen shot I took about 20 seconds ago.

Brian.

aysil

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 09:23:39 am »

Oh yes, great! Thank you.
I could just not figure out how to choose, what to play, and on which external DNLA renderer. Or is it only for internal player?

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 09:55:22 am »

Hmm.  Seems I spoke too soon.  The scheduler seems to play in the zone that you were in when you created the schedule.  This is good.  But, on my system (MC21.0.64 on Mac) it plays my entire library.  It erases what was in playing now and starts playing from a point that I can't figure out (a Police album).

I've fiddled with this for 15 minutes and haven't made much headway.  If I wanted to do this myself, I'd probably be looking into doing it via MCWS and a custom command line to play exactly what I wanted, when I wanted.

Brian.

connersw

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 03:22:19 pm »

Hmm.  Seems I spoke too soon.  The scheduler seems to play in the zone that you were in when you created the schedule.  This is good.  But, on my system (MC21.0.64 on Mac) it plays my entire library. 

Maybe it's different on a Mac in MC21.  I'm on Windows MC20, and it lets me select which zone to play to down at the bottom of the window.  It also lets me choose between full library, a playlist, or a search result.  All functioning seems to be working properly (including going to the correct zone I select regardless of current zone).

It does have duration greyed out for Play though.  Seems like it only works for Record Stream.  Would be nice to have the ability to set the duration for playback, especially if you were using it for an alarm clock. 

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 03:34:14 pm »

Maybe it's different on a Mac in MC21.  I'm on Windows MC20, and it lets me select which zone to play to down at the bottom of the window.  It also lets me choose between full library, a playlist, or a search result.  All functioning seems to be working properly (including going to the correct zone I select regardless of current zone).

Thanks for posting this.

There's a bug on the Mac side that's been around for a short while which makes some dialog boxes appear blank in the center section until you change a setting.  The "add task" dialog is one of them!!  So I couldn't see any of the options you describe above; they were all blank.  But I changed from "play" to "command line", and then back again, and Presto, I could see all of the options.

So it seems that you can't queue up stuff in Playing Now and have it play, but it's actually better because you can specify a playlist and you can optionally set it to shuffle also.  The default is "whole library", which is why it kept doing that on my system.

I just tested it and it played a playlist of my choice in the zone I specified, at the correct time!  So it all works once you get past the display bug.

Thanks again.  :)

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 05:29:29 pm »

Just a note that a scheduler is part of the program.  It's under Services & Plug-ins > Scheduler in the tree.

Doh! I hardly ever look in that section. My bad.  :-[

I had long wanted that years back and our then CTO kept resisting.  He finally buckled, and it's there!

It has been there a long time then.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 06:22:24 am »

It has been there a long time then.  8)

You got me wondering, so I trolled our history file.

12.0.001 (4/12/2006)
NEW: Integrated Media Scheduler into Media Center.

I think before that you could schedule using a little stand alone application.  But my memory is a little fuzzy, so could be totally wrong!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

aysil

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 04:25:13 pm »

Yes, to answer my own question, the scheduler controls also DLNA, the zone to play the music, once you get past the small display bug on the mac version, as Brian explains above. Wonderful!
The Wiki seems to lack a lot of info, as there is no mention of this feature there.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 05:26:26 pm »

The Wiki seems to lack a lot of info, as there is no mention of this feature there.
What do you mean by "this feature"? 

What did you search for on the wiki?

I searched for "alarm" and "scheduler" and found something.

aysil

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 07:40:03 pm »

What do you mean by "this feature"? 

What did you search for on the wiki?

I searched for "alarm" and "scheduler" and found something.

I searched for "alarm" and I only get a page explaining how to "Start Media Center at Specified Time", which is not the scheduler feature.
You are right, if I search "scheduler", which I could not think of at first, I find all the info on how to use it.

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 08:20:39 pm »

I just want to mention... I too am glad this feature is here! Thanks!

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 07:00:15 pm »

Would it be possible to add the ability to specify tags (like Genre, etc.) to the recorded stream MP3s, as we can with podcasts? And auto-import them to the library when they're done being recorded?

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 01:54:03 am »

Oh I see... they ARE auto-imported. ut they don't have any known genre or anything else I use for file paths, so they just go in the top level of the music tree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up