INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote access of entire music library on NAS with folder structure  (Read 4385 times)

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck

Hello, JimH.  I have successfully followed Chris Connaker's instructions in Streaming Around the Globe http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/685-streaming-around-globe-or-around-home-jriver-media-center/ to stream in full bitperfect quality from home to a desktop running MC21 in my office in downtown Minneapolis.  The arrangement allows me to access my playlists, but (so far) not the underlying music folders on the network attached storage system at home that the music is streaming from.  Unfortunately, I have much more music in my various folders than I have taken the time to create playlists for.  My Synology DS1813+ NAS is configured with a drive letter on the home host streaming PC running MC20, so if I could access that drive letter remotely, I'd get to all of my underlying music.

The question is:  can this be done?

To be clear, the setup at home is: Synology NAS -- ethernet -- CAPS Zuma server running W2012R Server with Audiophile Optimizer and MC20.

I should also note that I am unable to get my Access Key to allow remote connection, but using my public IP address, it connects fine at home and properly port forwards to the host streaming PC.  The public IP is fine, but not sure why the Access Key is not functioning remotely.  (It does work within my network at home to link the host PC running MC20 to House Band on my Amazon Echo.)

Looking forward to your assistance.  Thanks.  JCR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Remote access of entire music library on NAS with folder structure
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 12:34:46 pm »

If the Access Key doesn't work, but the IP address does, it's usually a typo in the Access Key.

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 01:09:42 pm »

Understood.

And what say you to my main question?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 01:11:36 pm »

You may need to import the folders into MC.  Check your auto import options.

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 01:37:36 pm »

Shows you how little I really know after all of this time about your masterpiece, Jim.

So, just so I follow, I can configure the auto-import to organize the importing by folders and then I can select an entire album or individual songs in that folder to listen to?  I know where imported playlists show up, but where do imported folders show up?  What I don't want is a giant list of 100,000 songs, as you can likely imagine.

Of course, this must work for FLAC.  Will the software also identify DFF and .iso DSD files?

Many thanks in advance for the continued assistance here!  Cheers.  JCR

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 01:47:20 pm »

Please see "Getting Started" in my signature.

Don't browse by folder.  Browse by artist or album.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 01:53:20 pm »

Understood.

And what say you to my main question?
if you follow the guide yes it should work -- seems like good guide, just  bookmarked thanks .... but you are talking about remote drive access which confuses me. The guide indicates that either you are streaming to JRemote or to a client machine running JRiver. You should be able to see via the views you have set-up all your media imported into JRiver.

You have to be running at least media server (you are using the authentication option?) on your serving PC in the network. If using a client PC you should have no problem accessing all imported folders if the initial import options were done like you want as Jim already mentioned. If you are on JRemote, you might need to make sure the views are set up right. The idea being that you are using JRiver as a front-end, regardless.

However I see your set-up is an "unsupported" config (Winserver12R + audio optimizer) which might have something to do with it. Might want to check into permissions for the directory, but I suppose you would have done that already.
Pages: [1]   Go Up