INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Settings to Use for Music Playback Using Convolution and Consumer Pre-Pro?  (Read 2726 times)

Chipless

First of all, I apologize if these questions are basic, but I've done a bit of a research and exploration within MC21 for Mac, and I'm still in need of help.

So far, I only use MC for audio playback, and I use a 2.1 (left, right, and subwoofer) convolution file generated by Audiolense for digital room correction. MC is running on my MacBook Pro, which is connected to a consumer pre-pro (Marantz 8802) using an HDMI cable, so I would prefer to control the speaker volume via the pre-pro, but could be talked out of it given good enough reasons.

I want to make sure that I'm using the correct settings given the aforementioned setup, so please chime in if you can confirm the correctness of the following, or suggest something different:

Audio Device Settings: 'Exclusive Access' is enabled and 'Integer Mode' is enabled as well. Default settings for 'Buffering'

DSP Settings->Output Formatting: "Channels" set to '7.1 channels' (not sure why, but this is the only way that the 2.1 convolution file ends up being routed to the correct speakers). "Mixing" set to 'No upmixing or downmixing'.

DSP Settings->Convolution: "Options" has 'Process independently of internal volume' selected/check-marked. 'Normalize filter volume' has been unselected per the suggestion of the creator of Audiolense.

Settings: 'Disable display from turning off' is selected/check-marked.

Volume: "Volume Mode" is set to 'Internal Volume'. 'Loudness' is selected/check-marked. 'Internal Reference Volume' is set to 100.

Advanced: "Dithermode" set to 'JRiver Bit-Exact'

Startup->Startup Volume: 'Optimize for best sound quality' is selected/check-marked.

I haven't adjusted or enabled anything else. Any suggestions? The loudness/volume/convolution/output relationship confuses me the most I think, but any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

Audio Device Settings: 'Exclusive Access' is enabled and 'Integer Mode' is enabled as well. Default settings for 'Buffering'

Integer mode can cause problems on systems that can't handle it.  It's VERY obvious when this happens; you'll know right away.  Buffering I would increase to at least 250 mS.  Go higher if you experience any audio dropouts.

DSP Settings->Output Formatting: "Channels" set to '7.1 channels' (not sure why, but this is the only way that the 2.1 convolution file ends up being routed to the correct speakers). "Mixing" set to 'No upmixing or downmixing'.

That's odd.  You might just set it to 2 channel and let your pre-pro handle converting the 2 channel data to subwoofer.  Or, at a minimum, configure your pre-pro to know that you only have 2.1 speakers, so that it can downmix 7.1 and 5.1 to 2.1 .

It's really a choice of which device is going to do the downmixing:  MC or your pre-pro.  You'll need to consider what your sources are... how many channels they will have, and how they will be routed and downmixed.  Thinking about it more, I'm not sure which method would be better.  For 2 channel content, just setting MC to 2 channel would seem to be best.  Then your pre-pro can generate a subwoofer signal from the 2 channels it receives.

Are you going to be listening to 5.1 or 7.1 channel sources?

Volume: "Volume Mode" is set to 'Internal Volume'. 'Loudness' is selected/check-marked. 'Internal Reference Volume' is set to 100.

If you *only* want to control volume from the pre-pro and *never* from MC, then you should use Volume Disabled.  This will ensure a 100% volume setting from MC at all times.  Otherwise, internal volume is fine.  Just remember that you can adjust volume in both locations.

Loudness, in my opinion, should be off.  Loudness applies a variable loudness contour (equalization) to the music.  If you like that, then keep it on.  I personally would turn it off.  You can, of course, try it both ways.  Just know that it is applying EQ.

Brian.

Chipless

That's odd.  You might just set it to 2 channel and let your pre-pro handle converting the 2 channel data to subwoofer.  Or, at a minimum, configure your pre-pro to know that you only have 2.1 speakers, so that it can downmix 7.1 and 5.1 to 2.1 .

It's really a choice of which device is going to do the downmixing:  MC or your pre-pro.  You'll need to consider what your sources are... how many channels they will have, and how they will be routed and downmixed.  Thinking about it more, I'm not sure which method would be better.  For 2 channel content, just setting MC to 2 channel would seem to be best.  Then your pre-pro can generate a subwoofer signal from the 2 channels it receives.

Are you going to be listening to 5.1 or 7.1 channel sources?

If you *only* want to control volume from the pre-pro and *never* from MC, then you should use Volume Disabled.  This will ensure a 100% volume setting from MC at all times.  Otherwise, internal volume is fine.  Just remember that you can adjust volume in both locations.

Loudness, in my opinion, should be off.  Loudness applies a variable loudness contour (equalization) to the music.  If you like that, then keep it on.  I personally would turn it off.  You can, of course, try it both ways.  Just know that it is applying EQ.

Brian.

Thank you so much for the response, Brian! I've made the changes you suggested. After thinking about it, I think that the reason the output has to be set to 7.1 is so the convolution/filter file, which is a 3 channel filter, can be transmitted directly THROUGH the pre-pro AND Media Center. In other words, neither the pre-pro or MC are performing bass management and/or setting a crossover for the sub because it is all done through the convolution/filter file. Still not 100% sure that's why though.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the volume settings! I am still curious about "Loudness" since it's similar to Audyssey's "Dynamic EQ" feature, which, in my limited experience, does have a positive effect on SQ when listening below reference volume. I guess I will just need to run some experiments! Please don't hesitate to share your additional thoughts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up