INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote: Volume Leveling not functional  (Read 6558 times)

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
JRemote: Volume Leveling not functional
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:51:03 am »

Hi,
I'm running JRemote on my iPad, but it seems, the volume leveling is not active or doesn't work. Is it not implemented or is there any thing I can do wrong?
The server OS is Linux, the MC software is x.63.

Thanks
Udo
Udo

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote and Volume Leveling
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:08:40 am »

Are you playing sounds *through* the ipad?  Or to some other audio device?

Brian.

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:31:14 pm »

Thru the iPad or iPhone to a headset or an other connected device. If I use it as a Remote Control, everything is OK since the sound is actually local.
Udo

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 01:10:19 pm »

you might try and create a separate zone, just having volume leveling on. That way you can switch zones on the ipad and see if its not just a problem with syncing the change? Just a thought as I have this set up on purpose for another reason and levleing works when streaming to my ipad externally in my local pub ... just tried it actually  8)

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:09:29 am »

you might try and create a separate zone, just having volume leveling on. That way you can switch zones on the ipad and see if its not just a problem with syncing the change? Just a thought as I have this set up on purpose for another reason and levleing works when streaming to my ipad externally in my local pub ... just tried it actually  8)

Hi,
I checked the local zones (two zones defined to use the same playback engine). This works fine, because we're talking about pure remote now. The problem is the streaming thru the iPad, not the remote controlling. It seems to me, that volume leveling is not functioning at this time, because there are noticeable jumps in volume between tracks. If you play the same tracks via a pc, the volume is nearly level.
Also, there is no switch to turn volume leveling on or off at JRemote. If you check the track header, all necessary fields were send to the remote, but probably they were not used during playback. As you proposed, I don't know how to use a playback zone to stream thru the iPad, because I can only select between the defined zones for local playback and "this device" for streaming.     
Udo

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:03:28 am »

For DLNA network renderers there is a Volume Leveling option *and* a DSP studio option.  But I think "this device" playback on JRemote is a third category:  It's not a local zone and it's not a DLNA zone.  I think.

Can anyone confirm if JRemote local playback is it's own special category?  ...and thus doesn't obey any of the various DSP settings.  Or maybe there's some hidden option somewhere to make volume leveling work ?

Brian.

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 12:15:10 pm »

For DLNA network renderers there is a Volume Leveling option *and* a DSP studio option.  But I think "this device" playback on JRemote is a third category:  It's not a local zone and it's not a DLNA zone.  I think.

Can anyone confirm if JRemote local playback is it's own special category?  ...and thus doesn't obey any of the various DSP settings.  Or maybe there's some hidden option somewhere to make volume leveling work ?

Brian.

Hi Brian,

I just went back and checked my server log. The Generic DLNA server allows to set up volume leveling and other DSP settings. But, it's not used during playback via iPad, Iphone etc, the library server is used instead. In other words, the server is only supplying data, all other functions had to be done at the client software. As a conclusion, the problem must be within the JRemote app, where all the final number crunching is done. Those volume  leveling values must be handled here to be effective.

Udo

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 01:08:03 pm »

Hi Brian,

I tested the JRemote to find out, what's going on with volume leveling.

That's, what I did:
1. I generated a 440 Hz -6 dB, 10 sec test signal and copied it into a second file.
2. I imported both files into MC.
3. One file, I analyzed for volume leveling, the other one, I left untouched.

When I play those files at my PC, I can hear a significant difference in volume. When I play those files at my iPad, the volume is equal.
This proofs to me, that the volume information is not processed by JRemote.
I really don't know, why this is done, because volume leveling is an very important feature in MC. Is there anyone from JRiver, who can answer this? 
Udo

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 01:53:57 pm »

Hey guys

Me again, Brian is right. Once again I get everybody confused around here. Just checking this now and its not JRemote thats the actual renderer it the ipad/iphone when streaming. The zones I mentioned work well but for control over local playback. Of course you have only one option "This Device" as a zone.  :P

When you stream to an ipad/phone you have to enable SoundCheck I think it is called in its settings under Music. It won't be reading R128 measurements, but as long as Volume analysis is done in JRiver it will work since Replay Gain tags are written to the file as well.

I was wondering why it worked for me, but then when unswitching this to off on my ipoad, the volume levelling no longer worked. So ther you go  ;D

PS -- now if I'm wrong on this I really must be drinking too much .. sure sounds like the same volume to me

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 02:57:43 am »

Hey guys

Me again, Brian is right. Once again I get everybody confused around here. Just checking this now and its not JRemote thats the actual renderer it the ipad/iphone when streaming. The zones I mentioned work well but for control over local playback. Of course you have only one option "This Device" as a zone.  :P

When you stream to an ipad/phone you have to enable SoundCheck I think it is called in its settings under Music. It won't be reading R128 measurements, but as long as Volume analysis is done in JRiver it will work since Replay Gain tags are written to the file as well.

I was wondering why it worked for me, but then when unswitching this to off on my ipoad, the volume levelling no longer worked. So ther you go  ;D

PS -- now if I'm wrong on this I really must be drinking too much .. sure sounds like the same volume to me

Hi

thanks for the reply, I just rechecked my iPad settings. SoudCheck is enabled, but the volume leveling doesn't work. It might sound very similar, but if you stream some easy (silent) music and switch to rock, you should her the difference. Also, if you run the test, I posted before, you'll find out, there is not difference between the analyzed and non analyzed file. For your convenience, I the test file is attached to this post.
When you analyze it, you should end up with something like R128: -22.3dB, Replay Gain -17.32dB. You should be able to hear the difference. Also, I don't know how JRemote playes the music. If it just sets up at the iPad streamer, the field volume gain is probably not passed on or it's not recognized by the streamer (wrong field) or if it uses its own renderer.  Maybe the software guys can answer this.

Udo

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 03:40:24 am »

Just downloaded your file, and looking at the tag dump the R128 and Replay Gain fields have not been written to the file. So of course leveling can't be done on the fly without the needed metadata.  Either you haven't analyzed the file(s), or the analysis is not set to write to the file container (see Options=>Library&Folders=>Manage Library Fields the check box has to be set to write tags to file when possible).

Now maybe for some reason these tags fields are among those exceptions that can't be written to a wav file (that is the format of the file you posted). I can only check on flac and mp3 files as I'm not at home right now -- and I see the ReplayGain field in the files ... could you try with a flac, alac or mp3 file?

EDIT -- or you forgot to post the levelled file ?? :D

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 05:22:34 am »

Just downloaded your file, and looking at the tag dump the R128 and Replay Gain fields have not been written to the file. So of course leveling can't be done on the fly without the needed metadata.  Either you haven't analyzed the file(s), or the analysis is not set to write to the file container (see Options=>Library&Folders=>Manage Library Fields the check box has to be set to write tags to file when possible).

Now maybe for some reason these tags fields are among those exceptions that can't be written to a wav file (that is the format of the file you posted). I can only check on flac and mp3 files as I'm not at home right now -- and I see the ReplayGain field in the files ... could you try with a flac, alac or mp3 file?

EDIT -- or you forgot to post the levelled file ?? :D

Hi Arindelle

here both files in mp3. The wav file was virgin, so there couldn't be any volume tags in it.

Udo

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
Re: JRemote: Volume Leveling not functional
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 09:47:20 am »

Bump
Udo
Pages: [1]   Go Up