INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any reason not to use JRiver as a tag editor?  (Read 2925 times)

zenpmd

• World Citizen
Any reason not to use JRiver as a tag editor?
« on: March 28, 2016, 12:13:53 pm »

I tried using picard but it was slow and buggy. JRiver is SO FAST. However for ripping I use EAC for guaranteed accuracy and log file, despite taking longer. Is there any tag editor out there which might be slower but is better?

I have about 100,000 tracks I want to start tag editing...!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Any reason not to use J River as a tag editor?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 12:16:39 pm »

MC's ripping is comparable to EAC's if you use "secure" mode.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:46:41 pm »

MC's ripping is comparable to EAC's if you use "secure" mode.

Thanks, I might try it out!

Re tagging, is there any reason not to use JRiver? What format does it use?

ID3v1.x
ID3v2.x
Lyrics3v2.x
Vorbis comments
APEv1
APEv2
Matroska tags

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 01:04:24 pm »

You rip to FLAC right? no reason to not use it... For me it is the best retagger out there using the new tagging Window. Especially if you are using JRiver as the front-end. Very good for big collections.

As for what format it uses ... I'll let the devs confirm.

But basically for me its Vorbis Comment extended tags, with some remapping thrown in to handle all the different file formats that users throw at it. You would not have any problem if you have ripped with an external ripper like EAC, dbpoweramp, etc. or pure taggers like Picard, Tag Scanner; Tag&Rename ...   remapping of an occasional exceptions is possible if needed.

MikeO

Re: Any reason not to use JRiver as a tag editor?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 04:03:08 am »

I have tried a few but always come back to JRiver it still ranks no 1 as a library manager in my opinion. The ability to set custom tags and then custom library views is a BIG bonus and the expression engine to write "mini queries" to set views is superb

I tried Musichi , but its so 'orribly complicated that it probably needs months to come up to speed.

One I do use and find complements JRiver is Tag&Rename , it has several search engines and is good and more visible for searching out track name and especially artwork..

If you want ONE stay with JRiver

Mike

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:55:02 am »

At first, when I started with JRiver MC, I didn't want to use it as a tag editor.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe I thought it wouldn't be as good as a dedicated tool?

But then one day the light went on for me and I realized how simple, streamlined, and powerful the tag editor in MC was.  After using it for a couple of days, I never even thought about using another tag editor.

Ditto for renaming and moving files.  At first JRiver's Rename, Move, and Copy tool seemed weird and complicated and I didn't use it.  Then I learned a little about it and WOW is it powerful!  You can do renaming, moving, and copying with JRiver that's very sophisticated.  It's a fantastic tool.

Someone said this in another thread and it bears repeating again and again:  A lot of times, you'll want to do something with your music collection, and you'll go looking for a tool to help you do it.  Then, when you dig into MC a little, you realize that MC can do it already.  It just has such wide and deep functionality, that very, very few external tools are needed.

Brian.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 12:36:14 pm »

At first, when I started with JRiver MC, I didn't want to use it as a tag editor.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe I thought it wouldn't be as good as a dedicated tool?

But then one day the light went on for me and I realized how simple, streamlined, and powerful the tag editor in MC was.  After using it for a couple of days, I never even thought about using another tag editor.

Ditto for renaming and moving files.  At first JRiver's Rename, Move, and Copy tool seemed weird and complicated and I didn't use it.  Then I learned a little about it and WOW is it powerful!  You can do renaming, moving, and copying with JRiver that's very sophisticated.  It's a fantastic tool.

Someone said this in another thread and it bears repeating again and again:  A lot of times, you'll want to do something with your music collection, and you'll go looking for a tool to help you do it.  Then, when you dig into MC a little, you realize that MC can do it already.  It just has such wide and deep functionality, that very, very few external tools are needed.

Brian.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. Just what I needed. I will delve in! My only remaining question is what format does it use out of my list above?
Pages: [1]   Go Up