INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimize bug  (Read 4503 times)

Shelly

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I love listening to music with Media Center!
Minimize bug
« on: August 10, 2003, 05:55:32 pm »

I've been reporting this bug for over a month and it's really driving me nuts. I don't think it's just me because it occurs consistently on my laptop and on my desktop.  However, I would appreciate some confirmations. as I seem to be the only one complaining about it.  

• Open MC in Mega-me mode.  Minimize MC to either task bar or system tray.  MC crashes.  

• Open MC in Mini-me mode.  Minimize MC.  MC doesn't crash.

• Open MC in Mega-me mode.  Before minimizing change to Mini-me mode.  Minimize MC.  It doesn't crash.  Change back to Mega-me mode.  Minimize.  MC doesn't crash.

Shelly

phelt

Re: Minimize bug
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 06:56:05 pm »

I couldn't reproduce this either. It might help if you post the info from Media Center: Help > System Info. It gets copied to the clipboard automatically, so all you need to do is paste it into a reply :)

Shelly

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 04:14:18 am »

Media Center Registered 9.1.228 -- C:\Program Files\J River Alpha\Media Center\

Here's the system info from my desktop

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2678 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 691 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeSynch   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive J:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive I: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4824A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
 Drive J: SONY     DVD RW DRU-500A    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Here's the crash info that was just generated after I minimized MC following the viewing of system info:

Media Jukebox.exe9.1.228 caused exception C000008E at address 00FE358E (Base: 400000)

Registers:
EAX=0012D318   EBX=0012D31C   ECX=FFFFFFC1   EDX=0000001F   ESI=0012D30C
EDI=010F5778   EBP=0012D310   ESP=0012D228   EIP=00FE3596 FLAGS=00000203
CS=001B   DS=0023   SS=0023   ES=0023   FS=003B   GS=0000
FPU stack:
4003F000000000000000 FFFFBF8DDE5AEBC2B364 F8A00200000100070568
03F0BC72091000000000 C11D0000098C00000001 00E0000000058052D571
DCD0BF8762B5BF80085F C004FC00000000000000 SW=B9A4 CW=1372

Shelly

Shelly

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 07:27:13 pm »

bump

Still in need of help - TIA!

Shelly

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 06:02:29 am »

I cannot  reproduce this either   ?

Is your dog staring at the monitor with that tilty-head look during this?   They can use mind control like that ya know   :P

Shelly

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 07:11:57 am »

Is your dog staring at the monitor with that tilty-head look during this?   They can use mind control like that ya know

LOL@Lisa ;D
Actually, she's wondering where the music went when MC crashed!  :D

It's so wierd that the problem occurs on both my laptop and desktop.  They're using different library files, so that can't be the problem.  I don't understand why it only happens from Mega-me mode if I minimize prior to changing to Mini-me mode.  

Matt or Jim, any thoughts on this?  

Shelly

LisaRCT

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 10:28:34 am »

It's so wierd that the problem occurs on both my laptop and desktop.  They're using different library files, so that can't be the problem.  I don't understand why it only happens from Mega-me mode if I minimize prior to changing to Mini-me mode.  

Matt or Jim, any thoughts on this?  

Shelly

Don't do that anymore!   ::)
All fixed.   8)
You're welcome   ;D

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 10:29:57 am »

Video driver?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 11:32:32 am »

Shelly,
Are you running any plug-ins from other people?  Album View, for example?

Jim

Shelly

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 04:31:11 pm »

Video driver?

Desktop system:

Laptop:

Are you running any plug-ins from other people?  Album View, for example?

No, Jim, I'm not.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 04:39:34 pm »

OK.  Give it 30 seconds more of thought.  What's different about your PC's?  I don't think anyone else is seeing this problem.

Old skins?

It is probably something related to video, but it might not be.

Shelly

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2003, 06:30:25 pm »

OK.  Give it 30 seconds more of thought.  What's different about your PC's?

Completely different systems -  motherboards, proceessors, video cards, RAM, etc.  Only software and OS are the same - ZoneAlarm Pro, Norton SystemWorks 2003, Opera Beta 3, Office XP.

I don't think anyone else is seeing this problem.

I seem to be the only one :-/

Old skins?

The only skin I would define as old is the skin on my face. >:(
Same behavior is present with GreenEyes, PixOS, and Z.  

I decided to perform a clean installation on my desktop system and the problem is eliminated.  However, I'm now getting the following error message:

How do I fix this?  

Thanks, everyone!

Shelly

LisaRCT

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 03:57:18 am »

UM, Shelly . . .
why is MC or Windows looking in your "Norton Protected Recycle Bin" for Media Scheduler??
According to that screenshot it is . . . .
are you trying to restore it?
I am sure you uninstalled MC9 rather than just deleting it, and I doubt you installed it to the Recycle Bin, so this does not seem to make sense.

Shelly

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 04:51:04 am »

UM, Shelly . . .
why is MC or Windows looking in your "Norton Protected Recycle Bin" for Media Scheduler??
According to that screenshot it is . . . .
are you trying to restore it?
I am sure you uninstalled MC9 rather than just deleting it, and I doubt you installed it to the Recycle Bin, so this does not seem to make sense.

Exactly - it doesn't make sense to me either.   To top it off, after reimporting my files, it's crashing again when minimized from Mega-me, if not opened in Mini-me or switched to Mini-me and then back to Mega-me.

Shelly

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2003, 05:09:21 am »

I enabled the option to start media scheduler when loading Windows and rebooted.  This time media scheduler was found and loaded without error messages.  Now I'm back at square 1.

LisaRCT

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2003, 05:34:28 am »

Now I'm back at square 1.

well, I'd say you have made great progress   ;D

I don't know how much time and effort you wish to consume here with this, but .  . .
I imagine this happens with no other software, and has only started with MC 9.1.210 or later? (only reason I mention that build is because I had encountered many issues for several builds after that and had to keep going back to that build . .  I beieve there were some major changes about that time).  
I am wondering if this prolem oyu are having had begun to occur about the time JRiver started drawing their own interface windows?
Perhaps doing a clean reinstall back to an much older build before this started, and then upgrading and testing each build until the problem returns?

Shelly

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2003, 05:52:11 am »

well, I'd say you have made great progress   ;D

I don't know how much time and effort you wish to consume here with this, but .  . .
I imagine this happens with no other software, and has only started with MC 9.1.210 or later? (only reason I mention that build is because I had encountered many issues for several builds after that and had to keep going back to that build . .  I beieve there were some major changes about that time).  
I am wondering if this prolem oyu are having had begun to occur about the time JRiver started drawing their own interface windows?
Perhaps doing a clean reinstall back to an much older build before this started, and then upgrading and testing each build until the problem returns?

Lisa, you're right on target.  What you've described mirrors my experience with both systems.  In fact, I had to perform the same procedure of stepping through builds to achieve some amount of stability and consistency on both my laptop and desktop.  I've been using my desktop system for testing this specific problem, because there's an additional problem with MC on my laptop, which I've not yet reported as a possible bug.  If when doing a clean install, I cancel the search for media files, MC consistently crashes.  Even after reopening MC it crashes until I perform a search for media files.  In other words, if MC opens without media files present in the library, it crashes.  

Hopefully I can access some of the old builds on the JRiver server, as I've recently deleted most of the old builds in my download folder.  

Thanks, again, for taking so much time to help me out here.  It's appreciated :)

Shelly

P.S.

I see that during this process, I've become a "senior woodchuck."  Now, I not only have "old skin," but I've become a "senior." ;D :-/ ;D

LisaRCT

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2003, 06:14:10 am »

I see that during this process, I've become a "senior woodchuck."  Now, I not only have "old skin," but I've become a "senior." ;D :-/ ;D

LOL . . .  I wouldn't fret any girlffffriend, over my birthday weekend I became a <GASSSSSSP> 'Senior Citizen'
:o  8)  :-/  :'(  :-[  >:(

Anyway .  . . I have been deleting my older builds too (I still kept 9.1.210 though).  I know I recently found a link somewhere to the JRiver FTP site with a bunch of older builds
(hope I didn't stumble into forbidden territory)   :o
If I can find it again I will post it . .  or maybe someone will guide us  
:D   Pleez!

Shelly

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 07:22:07 pm »

LOL . . .  I wouldn't fret any girlffffriend, over my birthday weekend I became a <GASSSSSSP> 'Senior Citizen'
:o  8)  :-/  :'(  :-[  >:(

Happy Belated B-day!  I hope that you received more than your "senior citizen" designation.   ;D

I'm sitting here in a room lit only by my laptop display and a candle.  My guess is that you are also currently without power.  In any event, when we get power again and I'm back on a cable connection, I'll start the search for old builds.  

I'm seconding Lisa's request for assistance in downloading old builds.  JRiver, won't you please help two "senior" girls???

Shelly

LisaRCT

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2003, 06:22:21 am »

Having any luck with this yet Shelly?

Shelly

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2003, 07:51:40 pm »

Having any luck with this yet Shelly?

No luck at all, Lisa.  I stepped back to 218, which is the oldest build that I held on to.  I can minimize immediately after installing, but once I close MC and reopen it, I can no longer minimize from Mega-me mode unless, as I've stated previously, I open in Mini-me mode.  I'm still hoping that J River will make some older builds available for testing this.  

Shelly

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2003, 10:55:10 pm »

Hi there!

At various times during the course of me owning Media Jukebox / Media Center, I have had all sorts of weird problems getting new versions to run.

Usually it's just quirks in the new version (and this is happening less and less (to me anyway), in the newer builds).

I have on a number of occasions, after moving to a new version, that the only way to get it working sweetly, was to:

- UNINSTALL IT (removing your library files at the same time)
- MANUALLY remove the C:\Program Files\JRiver directory
- If things are really grim, clean out the registry entries for JRiver - sorry can't remember exactly where the keys are located - I'm sure there's other references to the key locations in the registry somewhere in this forum)

I always found a completely clean install did the trick (except for a coupla really noxious beta versions that didn't seem to work ever, in those cases I just waited a few daze!!)

Good luck from Down Under!
Cheers
Rob

Shelly

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2003, 05:13:07 am »

- UNINSTALL IT (removing your library files at the same time)
- MANUALLY remove the C:\Program Files\JRiver directory
- If things are really grim, clean out the registry entries for JRiver - sorry can't remember exactly where the keys are located - I'm sure there's other references to the key locations in the registry somewhere in this forum)

Hi Lunch,
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I can't tell you how many times I've gone through the steps you've outlined, to no avail.  

I just searched through my bug reports and I opened this one in the .212 beta post.  It started a couple of builds prior to .212, but because it was not consistent I didn't report it immediately.  

Jim, can I please have access to the .209 build?  Thanks.

Shelly

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2003, 05:58:59 am »

Shelly,
This has to be a problem somewhere else.  Video driver?  Other software you're running?  Nobody else sees it, as far as I know.

Jim

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2003, 08:14:54 am »

To top it off, after reimporting my files, it's crashing again when minimized from Mega-me, if not opened in Mini-me or switched to Mini-me and then back to Mega-me.

This makes me suspicous of some of the files in the library. Try clearing your library out and see if the problem remains. If not, import only small chunks at a time until you can pinpoint the file that may be causing this.

This all seems really familiar to me. I think I went through something similar when we were beta testing 8. Strange as it sounds...

Shelly

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2003, 05:33:06 pm »

Shelly,
This has to be a problem somewhere else.  Video driver?  Other software you're running?  Nobody else sees it, as far as I know.

Jim

I don't think it could be the video drivers, as I'm experiencing the same problem on my laptop and the video driver is different than that of my desktop system.  
It's certainly possible that it has something to do with other software running.  I think that I'll compare software running on the laptop and desktop and run MC with those applications closed.   That's one aspect that I haven't explored.  

This makes me suspicous of some of the files in the library. Try clearing your library out and see if the problem remains. If not, import only small chunks at a time until you can pinpoint the file that may be causing this.

That seems perfectly logical, Doof, but I have completely different media files on my laptop and have run MC with as little as 2 files, with the same results

I'm willing to try any suggestions you guys can think of.  What I don't understand, is why opening in mini-me or changing to mini-me and back to mega-me fixes the problem for that session.   It just doesn't make any sense to me. ?

Shelly

Shelly

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2003, 06:48:45 pm »

Bullseye, Jim!

The source of the problem was, indeed, a software conflict, specifically, with Iolo's Macro Magic.  I load Macro Magic with Windows on both my desktop and laptop systems.  Now I just have to decide whether to give up using Macro Magic or to always open MC in Mini-me mode.  It would be interesting to know why it created such an isolated problem, but I'm just happy to know the source for the strange behavior.

Many thanks to everyone who stuck with me to help resolve this issue.  Just another reason why I love MC!  ::)

Shelly
Pages: [1]   Go Up