INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to set up an external disk folder for ripping to?  (Read 7027 times)

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
How to set up an external disk folder for ripping to?
« on: March 30, 2016, 10:09:30 am »

Hi folks

I have a new version of 21 on macbook pro 2014 running mavericks. I cannot get the program to set up a file on an external disk to rip cd's to (as I use the mac for imaging and photographic work and do not wish to crowd the ssd onboard with music files). I have tried importing from the external and this works. what I need to do is set up the disk to rip to it. So far tried options> file location>cd rips, but when I chose my external file it said 'directory invalid' or something like that.

Any help much appreciated

thanks

Tim.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to set up an external disk folder for ripping to?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 10:23:28 am »

What location did you choose?

Try setting up a folder outside MC and then browsing to it in MC.

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 10:34:35 am »

Yes - thanks - naturally did just that. The folder is called Samsung m3 music files. I just deleted it then set it up again - well away from MC 21 - same result - "invalid directory".

what next?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 10:35:54 am »

Did you browse to it?

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 10:51:26 am »

Well yes I think so below the cd rip and podcast bit there is the option to find alternative file to the default on the mac internal. I went looking for the folder I want on the external drive chose it and got 'invalid directory'. It's only a folder choice after all ::)

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 12:00:33 pm »

Any more suggestions?

BradATIMA

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 03:09:28 pm »

Would you be willing to copy and paste the folder path that you're trying to use in a post? The Mac file system will allow you to create some folder names that Media Center doesn't like, such as a folder name containing: < > ? * " | /

I'm not sure if this is related to your problem or not, but this particular issue will be fixed in the next build.

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 04:27:45 pm »

Thank you but I do not know the exact path where does mac make this visible?  The file is in Samsung M3 (the name of the external drive) I have called it 'Music files'.

Good news - I can get 21 working on mac to play an uninterrupted track all the way through now.  No buffering issues here (I should think not on a powerful laptop).

Bad news it's doubled up half the library this time because some were already on the amazon cloud player and some on ssd as iTunes files. how can I choose one route or the other in the most simple way please.

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 03:29:42 am »

Still will not recognise typical mac file as destination for rips. Problem unresolved. Have tried all suggestions.

Should I rip flacs on pc and then attach drive for replay on mac? Mac sounds v.good at the moment and does not have the buffering issues that 21 has on windows (that make it totally useless). I do not want to store any more music on mac ssd however as I need it for creative work - other programmes like photoshop (a full on creative tool) recognise the external hard drive without a glitch can someone tell me why JRiver software (a home music player) cannot please?

BradATIMA

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 08:40:16 am »

There should be a new Mac build out later today. Please, try it and see if it resolves the issue. If it doesn't resolve the problem, please post another log. I added some extra logging that should provide more information about the problem.

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 05:41:12 pm »

Thanks but I've got a version that at least plays at the moment and am reticent to mess with it due to bad experiences with windows upgrade. Can I not simply rip CD's via 17 (still on my laptop pc) and then plug the external drive straight into the mac for 21 to recognise and play the flac files? It's getting pretty confusing and I do not want to devote more time than required to get a library of not duplicated files (tags) that play all the way through and in the right order.

thanks again

Tim

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 07:22:14 pm »

If you're not willing to troubleshoot the issue with MC21 ripping CDs, then you should use another application instead.  I've used XLD for hundreds and hundreds of CDs and never had an issue.

I'm fairly confident that we can find and fix your issue with MC ripping CDs.  But if you don't want to touch it, use another good app.  XLD is a good one.

Brian.

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 02:08:33 am »

I will try and use external drive on the mac and see if it will read it. I am willing to try everyones suggestions it is more a question of prioritising time available. Flac files being used. Where does it say which build? Thanks for the advice to use another programme - makes sense really. Is there a good quality problem free music player that tends to work straight off the bat that you would recommend?

thanks for all your help so far

Tim

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 09:10:04 am »

I am willing to try everyones suggestions it is more a question of prioritising time available.

I suggest posting a screen shot of what is happening.  It's difficult to figure out what's going on because you haven't tried anything suggested yet.  Yes, we get that you are busy.  But fixing problems requires time.  :)

Where does it say which build?

Help > About Media Center

Thanks for the advice to use another programme - makes sense really. Is there a good quality problem free music player that tends to work straight off the bat that you would recommend?

I wasn't suggesting that you abandon MC.  Do whatever you'd like of course.  It's your time and money.

We're here to help if you want.

Brian.

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 12:33:22 pm »

I'm using 21.0.50. I have just spent a few hours individually adding files from a wd 2tb disk to the library so that I do not get any weird duplication. The player will work OK on the mac I think though it's early days - it sounds OK and is not breaking down due to buffering as on the pc. I've time to enjoy listening and hope it will stay stable.

The windows set up is shambolic at the moment but I accept that this must surely be in part down to the windows pc and I am happy to do (nearly) everything on the mac from here on in.

One problem remaining then for now. I tried to set up the wd disk as a destination for ripped cd's and got a new message saying it cannot be read only. I didn't think it was as I have written to it before from a pc but I am assuming it cannot be written to by the mac because of this. So it's back to trying to rip everything using the windows machine - I will try when I have the time. Then I can upload each album separately to the  mac's 21 library. The initial disk I tried to set up was a samsung 1tb partitioned for back up and general storage - this is usually accessible by the mac but not in MC 21. Sorry if I have misunderstood anything. It would be good if I could start with a new storage device (like a NAS or whatever people recommend) but not if the player will not recognise the disk or let me use it to rip to via an external cd drive on the mac. Don't want to waste money if it is likely to fail so would be pleased if it would at least accept the Samsung usb drive as a destination for storing albums Any further suggestions please?

PS How do I do a screenshot and of what? I have only tried to set up a file destination via tools - options - file locations cd rips and podcasts and then browsed for my destination folder. The error messages are in the text of the first post. Is there something I have done wrong?

thanks

Tim

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 01:17:11 pm »

I tried to set up the wd disk as a destination for ripped cd's and got a new message saying it cannot be read only. I didn't think it was as I have written to it before from a pc but I am assuming it cannot be written to by the mac because of this.

If the Mac can't write to it, that would explain a lot.  What format is the disk?  Most external USB disks come preformated for PC as NTFS drives.  Macs can not write to NTFS without a special driver.  If you don't need to share this drive with PCs, it would be best to reformat the drive as Mac OSX Extended, which is the default for formatting new disks on a Mac.  Otherwise, FAT32 is readable and writable on Mac and Windows.  It has other limitations, but is ok for a drive you want to share between platforms.

so would be pleased if it would at least accept the Samsung usb drive as a destination for storing albums Any further suggestions please?

PS How do I do a screenshot and of what? I have only tried to set up a file destination via tools - options - file locations cd rips and podcasts and then browsed for my destination folder. The error messages are in the text of the first post.

No, the text is not in your post.  You typed a vague message, which doesn't really tell us much about the error.  That's why I asked for a screen shot.  I'd like to see the error message to try to diagnose the problem.  Here's Apple's article on how to make screen shots:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

You may have two different problems with two different drives.  It's hard to say without more information.

Brian.

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 07:05:44 am »

Thanks,

I turned on the mac this morning and couldn't find the programme anywhere - so I downloaded 66 update and the Samsung drive has now been recognised for ripping to. I have not tried to rip to it yet.

On start up this morning the only trace of JRiver I could find were some licences in finder and they would not open into a working programme. Is this normal for this programme or will .66 be there when I next shut down and restart the computer?

Sorry no screenshots of the problem as the programme could not be found to screenshot.

To summarise and prevent any confusion, bBuild .66 has been downloaded as build .50 had disappeared from all interfaces on my macbook pro when I switched it on this morning. Build .66 has accepted the external usb drive (Samsung) as a writable device for ripping cd's to (build .50 would not).

So one more problem may have been solved :). Can someone reassure me that if I turn off the computer build .66 will be there when I switch back on? I have asked it to 'keep in dock' by ticking that box.

thanks very much indeed for all the help so far

Tim

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 07:16:41 am »

It isn't normal to have any application disappear.  Either you missed it or there is something wrong with your machine.

Once in a while, we see people running the installer every time they start MC, instead of the program.  That won't work.

blgentry

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 07:20:12 am »

The reason Media Center "disappeared" is that you didn't install it.  You probably ran it straight from the DMG.

Open the DMG.  See that there is an icon for MC and an icon for Applications?  Drag the DMG into Applications.  When it copies to Applications, then it's installed.  Now, close the DMG.  Open your Applications folder (from a Finder window).  Run Media Center 21.  That should do it.  Good luck.  :)

Brian.

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 08:04:14 am »

Hmm I thought that was what it wanted me to do - I did try first time but it wouldn't take. just tried again and it has copied across. Sorry for the newbie mistake. Perhaps a text box would make it clearer as the vaguer icon based box can be slippery. To get it to work I had to hold it over the application icon for some time. Also most apps just bring up a box saying install to click on. I guess this is a mac thing though and not anything JRiver can change.

thank you very much

Tim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up