INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner's Question....  (Read 3237 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Beginner's Question....
« on: March 30, 2016, 04:27:54 pm »

I am trying to avoid making a big mistake.

On my desktop PC, so far I have ripped approximately 600 CD's at FLAC quality. I have been ripping them to my MY MUSIC file -- then checking the tags, etc. -- and immediately dragging them into a file which is the MUSIC share of a WDMYCLOUDEX2 NAS storage (RAID) device -- that currently has plenty of storage space left. That file is designated ("Y:" which is imported automatically or manually into JRiver Media Center. (I believe this is the correct terminology?)

I just got a message from Windows (I assume )on my desktop computer, that my c: drive on the desktop is almost out of space. The MyMusic file is currently using up 159 gig of space. Am I correct in assuming that the files in the My Music folder have only been used as a "holding" folder and are of NO USE after they have transferred to the WD NAS device??? If so, COULD I DELETE ALL THE FILES IN THE MY MUSIC FOLDER ? TO REGAIN 159 GIG OF SPACE?

Needless to say, I want to avoid all the re-work connected with having to re-rip all those files!

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Beginner's Question....
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:03:36 pm »

If what you're saying is correct, and you've copied all the files to your NAS, and JR is importing them from the Y: drive (your NAS) then yes you should be able to delete them from the MY MUSIC folder without affecting your library.

Why not just rip to the NAS directly though? Tools > Options > File Location.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 01:58:02 pm »

Hi Scott,

I am not 100% sure of the technical reasons, but I am using DB Poweramp as my ripping software.  Members of their Forum suggested ripping first to a "holding area" (e.g. the My Music file in Windows) -- which I believe will give you the chance to check any tags and/or other accuracy/inaccuracy. ...Then dragging over to a Windows file that could be periodically (or manually) imported to the main library in MC.  The recommendation is to maintain at least two backup's in addition to MC (perhaps a little overkill).

Since my last post I added another redundant storage device and did delete the My Music file contents from my Windows machine.  BTW, I have found Western Digital storage devices (and their documentation and help desk) are good for the technically-challenged.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 12:27:31 pm »

Hi ... doesn't really mater what ripper you are using, but I agree with the sandboxing approach that you mention. Just not to your SSD necessarily or if you do for speed or simplicity move, not copy,  the files after the rip to another "holding area.

What I do is lets say you have a mapped networked drive Z:\ .  You can create 2 separate sub-directories say Z:\Music and Z:\Temp.  set your import options to include them. That way you can listen, retag, and compare tags from the same artists to be consistant (linkable columns are good for this). Setting up a tagging view to include only these files is very handy. Also good to search for duplicates, and if found you generally just would remove those from the holding area path.

Also dbpoweramp has a pretty cool feature about adding custom tagging automatically at the same time as the rip. For example I use a special tag (I call it zRetag,  but you can name it what want fo course). I use the Grouping field but you could use any one like genre. You can then set up the retag view based on this tag. When you are finished, you remove the tag and you could make another view to help you just move the files to the main that are verified (using the Moven copy rename tool or F6 in MC). Some people create a logical check box field for this too. Many ways to go about it. I just remove the temp tag and replace it with something else. So you have the holding area benefit, the + of being able to compare existing tags in your main library and you can take the time you need to do it and still listen to the stuff.

Of course if you decide for speed or convenience that you want to rip to your SSD, you certainly don't want to keep them there, not including the ssd drive in your import config will avoid dupes and everything too in case you copy them instead of moving them. You might want to do manual auto imports so you won't wait for some event to prompt autoimporting when using a NAS

How to make a simple question into a complicated mess huh  ;D

PS - As for the double backups I don't think it is overkill, I lost two drives during a restore once and man what a drag. Main media and a backup in a PC or NAS and the second "archive" stored separately. Making sure you backup the JRiver library backup file on both! Also think what would happen if you get your NAS stolen.   ?

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 04:51:36 pm »

Hi Arindelle,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response.  One question -- When you say "SSD" are you referring to where I originally rip the music files TO?  In this case, it's the "MY MUSIC" area in my windows machine.

If you have the time, please take a look at my post of 25 minutes ago (in the Id Section of the FORUM) and let me have your thoughts.  I am confused about coordinating communication between my main MC software and an Id I added recently.  Among other things, the Id seems to be recognized only half the time it's booted up.  I am trying to get recognized every time, and also figure out how and where to recognize any files I copy onto its internal drive.

Thanks again.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 04:20:26 am »

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response.  One question -- When you say "SSD" are you referring to where I originally rip the music files TO?  In this case, it's the "MY MUSIC" area in my windows machine.
Sure no problem. short answer is yes

Well when you mentioned having a Raid device networked (not for beginners) I just assumed you would know what I meant :)  Usually these days you set up your system drive with Windows on an SSD drive not a conventional hard drive. The "My Music" directory is just a silly way for microsoft to not encourage people to learn about computers haha. Anyways its just a shortcut to somewhere, normally to the system drive until/if you change it. You said in your first post that your C: drive (normally the system drive, and now usually an SSD drive) was filling up ... you really don't want to set up templates in dbpoweramp pointing to your system drive (unless it is just really temporary) or it will fill up. Which you don't want. If it is the best way for you though -- move the files out of there (or rip directly to a temp directory that JRiver is setup to import and move it to the main media path as I described). You certainly don't want to wait till you rip 600 cds to do so :D Its not a major critical error, though, just if you decide to keep ripping to the C:\ drive for speed lets say, unless it really is a big one, don't copy but move or cut the files and place them elsewhere.

I'll try and find your post on the ID (don't have one myself) ... in the future maybe a link to your own post would be handy to post  ;)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 08:52:20 am »

Thanks for this response also.  To clarify, I have been ripping to My Music on my c: drive. But as soon as a CD gets ripped successfully I drag (copy?) It to another file that is mapped to be picked by jrmc on my main jrmc pc (y:)..  Then jrmc usually auto imports it within the following few minutes.  (I check periodically ro make sure this has happened successfully) The My Music file was able to take roughly 300 c ds and a few hires files before issuing the "hard drive almost full" warning.

I recently deleted the files in My Music that were copied onto the jrmc main library but took some advice before-hand and added an additional usb hard drive attached to the NAS  that copies all files stored on my raid NAS.  I  was able to confirm the initial copying of roughly 500-600 cd and hires files.

I am trying to work thru your a vice from the Id forum now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up