INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping can be frustrating  (Read 2877 times)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
Ripping can be frustrating
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:23:59 am »

I'm in the middle of ripping several hundred CD's

And sometimes (≈ 1 in 15-20 CD's) MC tells me either the cd can't be opened, or there are no tracks to rip.
This in spite of the fact that the OS sees the CD (I can copy the files to the desktop)  and even MC knows there is a disk, with files on it, because it lists them.

Thus far I have 'tricked' (restarting MC, opening and closing the CD drawer, deleting the folders MC makes to put the tracks in etc.) MC into actually ripping the CD's with a few exceptions.

I have yet try and rip them in iTunes, but I bet the CD's would work fine.

Is there any solution to this?

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripping can be frustrating
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:54:08 am »

I hate to give the unpopular answer here, because I'm a really big fan of MC overall.

But here I go:  I've experienced problems like yours with MC and ripping CDs.  So I abandoned it very early on in favor of an external ripping program.  I chose XLD because it has a good reputation, supports Accurate Rip, and has several modes to retry bad reads from CD to try to get the cleanest rip possible.  I've ripped hundreds of CDs with no problems.  I've had some scratched CDs that were really hard to get a clean read from, but no interface issues, no failures to detect the CD, or anything like that.  It just works.

To be fair, the last time I had problems with MC ripping disks was probably close to 12 months ago.  A few months ago, I said something about it, and  Jim "challenged me" to try MC again and I did.  At that time, ripping 3 CDs I had ZERO PROBLEMS with MC ripping CDs.  So I don't claim to know what's going on exactly, because MC clearly works to rip CDs reliably for me, sometimes, and other times, and for other people, it doesn't.  Frankly, as amazing as MC is, it's just not worth my time to try to track it down because XLD does the job.  So I can just use MC for everything else and be happy.

Good luck!

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 11:48:45 am »

Just to confirm,

Some time ago, you tried ripping and had some problems.

Recently, you have had no problems with ripping.

Is the recent experience only with 3 CD's?

Is that correct?

If so, it makes sense, but I think our ripping on Mac is good now.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 12:20:47 pm »

Short story:  Confirmed.

Longer story:

A "long time ago" I tried ripping CDs with MC for Mac on 3 or 4 different occasions.  I had various types of failures, including ones like the OP is describing.

About 2 or 3 months ago, I tried again, after being asked to.  This most recent time, with 3 CDs was 100% successful.  I have not tried ripping any more since.

Brian.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 03:34:00 pm »

I just successfully ripped all of the CD's that MC had troubles with using iTunes, on the same Mac.
And yes some of them were less than pristine, but all of them have been ripped, one way or another.

I guess I'll look into XLD as an alternate solution, so thanks for that tip. 

So my frustration is showing as I figured MC would have 'matured' enough to have resolved these sorts of core issues.
And while this isn't the only core issue that I (still) experience it was the most frustrating, and I've just resigned myself to the others, as the way it is.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 04:17:09 pm »

I guess I'll look into XLD as an alternate solution, so thanks for that tip.

Should you decide to pursue this solution, it can be very transparent with MC.  Simply point XLD's output files to a directory that you have MC set up to monitor.  As XLD writes the files, MC will import them in near real time.  By the time a CD rip is over, MC will probably have imported all of the files already and is ready to go to play them.  This makes it very convenient.

And while this isn't the only core issue that I (still) experience it was the most frustrating, and I've just resigned myself to the others, as the way it is.

There's some possibility that someone here knows how to fix, or work around, the other issues you have.  I suggest starting a new thread for each major issue, so they can be addressed one by one.

Brian.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 05:04:00 pm »

Should you decide to pursue this solution, it can be very transparent with MC.  Simply point XLD's output files to a directory that you have MC set up to monitor.  As XLD writes the files, MC will import them in near real time.  By the time a CD rip is over, MC will probably have imported all of the files already and is ready to go to play them.  This makes it very convenient.

I downloaded XLD but haven't used it yet, but my setup isn't 'simple' so I usually just manually transfer the files.
It works well enough.

There's some possibility that someone here knows how to fix, or work around, the other issues you have.  I suggest starting a new thread for each major issue, so they can be addressed one by one.

Brian.
Been there done that from when MC 4 Mac was new.
If I'm the only one who is experiencing these core issues, then the likelihood they will be addressed is slim.
And that they have been present since the start of MC 4 Mac and still are not 'fixed' lets me know the priority they have.

Like I said, "I've just resigned myself to the others, as the way it is."

JJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up