INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DoP playback issues  (Read 4919 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
DoP playback issues
« on: March 31, 2016, 01:16:15 pm »

With some audio devices, using ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive output does not bypass system-level volume control. (Windows device level outside of JRiver)
If volume is not set to 100% on these devices, DoP playback breaks.

Two small changes would prevent this from happening:
1.  Always set the device volume to 100% for DoP playback and all forms of bit-streaming, regardless of what the WASAPI "maximize device volume during playback" option is set to.
2.  Add a "maximize device volume during playback" option to the ASIO configuration. The setting only exists for WASAPI right now.

RD James

Re: DoP playback issues
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:22:43 am »

It seems like this would be a small change?

RD James

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 06:56:50 am »

Do none of the DACs at JRiver do this?
It's very annoying if you use the PC for more than just JRiver playback and use the system volume control.

When I forget to change it back I either get a LOUD burst of static or distorted music.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:46:48 am »

Another week, another bump.
Maybe you haven't run into this, but it's really bad when it happens.
It also seems like most of the work necessary to fix this would be reusing features which already exist in the program.

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 11:12:09 am »

With some audio devices, using ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive output does not bypass system-level volume control. (Windows device level outside of JRiver)
If volume is not set to 100% on these devices, DoP playback breaks.

Two small changes would prevent this from happening:
1.  Always set the device volume to 100% for DoP playback and all forms of bit-streaming, regardless of what the WASAPI "maximize device volume during playback" option is set to.
2.  Add a "maximize device volume during playback" option to the ASIO configuration. The setting only exists for WASAPI right now.

I'm sure I'm not understanding something here. My DAC (using ASIO driver) has a volume control plugin for JRiver that requires me to use System Volume and Enable Volume When Bitstreaming. Defaulting volume to 100% would be a disaster for me.

RD James

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 11:55:59 am »

I'm sure I'm not understanding something here. My DAC (using ASIO driver) has a volume control plugin for JRiver that requires me to use System Volume and Enable Volume When Bitstreaming. Defaulting volume to 100% would be a disaster for me.
That shouldn't be affected by this change - or at least JRiver should account for that when the "enable volume when bitstreaming option" is enabled.
The change described above would be to the system volume level, not JRiver's volume level.

A bitstreamed format must always be streamed to the DAC at 100% volume.
You cannot adjust the volume level without decoding the audio first, or it would break the bitstream.

With a DAC like yours, the audio is still bitstreamed at 100% volume, along with a signal telling the DAC to then play it back at say 50% volume.
The bitstream itself is not transmitted to the DAC at 50% volume. (because you can't do that)

The problem is that it's currently possible to end up with JRiver bitstreaming the audio at less than 100% volume with some devices because it doesn't set the system volume to 100%, it just assumes that it will be bypassed.
And bitstreaming at less than 100% volume breaks it.

DJLegba

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 12:22:08 pm »

Thanks for the clear explanation.

RD James

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 06:23:56 am »

Bumping again because it's Monday already.

RD James

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:36:58 am »

RD James

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 11:38:27 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up