INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conversion Cache - Why?  (Read 2330 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Conversion Cache - Why?
« on: April 01, 2016, 05:08:21 pm »

I haven't read all of the search results I found yet - trying to get a quick answer so I can figure out what to do while a conversion is in process.  I've setup a folder on my NAS to convert a large aspect of my library to MP3.  Never used the handheld sync before.  While it was converting, MC started throwing errors because the "stack drive" was full.  My native c:\ is fairly small on my server (runs as a VM), and I noticed there was a setting for a conversion cache and all of the MP3s were duplicated (on the NAS and in the cache folder).  I guess this makes sense, but perhaps not in my situation?

If I never plan to use the actual handheld sync, does the conversion cache provide any benefit?  I was doing this to then manually sync to my handheld, but I suppose in the future if I was to plug and unplug my handheld, having a cache of converted files would be beneficial.  Of course, if I do that, it wouldn't be to the server device that I'd plug it in, it would likely be to a client.  So does having it on the c:\ on the server help?

If so, I'll change the cache to another directory that makes more sense for this.  I just didn't expect to suddenly eat up 12GB of space on a VM image...

Thanks!

--Ryan

blgentry

Re: Conversion Cache - Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 06:18:47 pm »

I'm not sure of the answers to your questions.  But my gut feeling is that a conversion cache won't help you at all, since you're keeping the converted files on a NAS already anyway.

In case you weren't aware, you can turn off the conversion cache.  But I think you knew that.

Brian.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 06:45:51 pm »

I'm not sure of the answers to your questions.  But my gut feeling is that a conversion cache won't help you at all, since you're keeping the converted files on a NAS already anyway.

In case you weren't aware, you can turn off the conversion cache.  But I think you knew that.

Brian.

Yeah I did see that.  I didn't realize there was a cache that was created when I did this, but I guess what I'm putting on the NAS is essentially my own cache, so I guess I don't need the cache settings until I decided to actually use MC to sync to a handheld.  Thanks!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 12:32:41 am »

I hit the same problem you saw when I was converting some videos to audio only yesterday, using a local library on the PC that is usually my MC Client. I had left the cache settings in my local library at the default, which meant media was being cached under my User directory. I started to run out of space on my SSD boot drive. Scary.

Based on my observations, most good media conversion software uses a cache of some sort, many to speed up the process, but also so that conversion can be completed before anything is written to the target location, and when it is written to the location, the whole, complete file is written at once. This means, for example, that MC won't try to import the partially converted file before it is ready to be imported.

To make matters worse for me yesterday I also edited the audio files resulting from the conversion above, using Adobe software. I had also left the caches for Adobe set to the default, which was the boot drive. Argh! You chewed up a mere 12GB. I was up to 65GB of cached media and still growing when I noticed the problem.  :o

Now all my MC and Adobe caches have been set to a working drive with lots more space than my little SSD boot drive. I recommend everyone does that.

If I never plan to use the actual handheld sync, does the conversion cache provide any benefit? 

If you are never going to use a handheld sync, and are just using the function to convert large numbers of file, there would probably be limited benefit in having MC use a cache. Just be sure the target location for the handheld sync is not a folder watched by MC. But you wouldn't want MC to import the result of a handheld sync anyway, so the target folder shouldn't be watched.

I was doing this to then manually sync to my handheld, but I suppose in the future if I was to plug and unplug my handheld, having a cache of converted files would be beneficial. 

Correct. If you are using the handheld sync function to directly sync with a device, and you don't completely refresh the device every time, so that some songs are retained and some are changed, then a cache saves you the time and MC the effort of converting the retained files again. I'm not sure what the space implications are when using a cache though, as I'm not sure when cached media is deleted from the cache.

Of course, if I do that, it wouldn't be to the server device that I'd plug it in, it would likely be to a client.  So does having it on the c:\ on the server help?

Regarding using the MC cache if you were going to sync a handheld, I don't believe it would matter if you did that on either the MC Server or the MC Client. As I understand it, the cache must always be on a drive accessible from the Server, and even if you sync from a Client, MC will use any converted files already in the Server cache. I haven't really tested that though.

Finally, I used to do what you were doing, and I might still go back to that. i.e. Use handheld sync to convert media to a format suitable for my iPhone, and save it to a folder defined as a Device. Then drag and drop the results into iTunes to sync the media to my iPhone. Then I discovered the function "File>Export to iTunes & iPhone" and tried that. So far, with one test, that worked well for me, as I am not so much syncing as just loading media on to the iPhone. However, that function is only available when using a local library by the look of it. So either I have to use the MC Server to do it, or use a local library on the PC that is usually a Client. I did the later, and that is fine for the moment.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 12:54:55 pm »

Thanks for the input!  I went ahead and changed the cache directory to a network drive with plenty of space.  Perhaps I should start using the handheld sync capabilities, just never did.  Would also be nice to have it auto-convert my jtv recordings to MP4 for better portability and streaming.  Seems like that's possible.

It's true that I don't see any settings about clearing the cache, or how long it stays, so I'm assuming it's there until manually purged.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 06:52:10 pm »

Would also be nice to have it auto-convert my jtv recordings to MP4 for better portability and streaming.  Seems like that's possible.

Yes, this is possible, and works, I think. I haven't actually used the handheld sync to do it, but I have used the Convert Format function to do it, and I believe the handheld sync uses the same function.

However test it out before you need to rely on it, as the conversion formats available are limited, and may not meet your needs. The naming of some of the formats isn't the best either. So try converting to the formats you think you want and test playback. Hendrik is working on improving that I believe.

Also note that any conversion of JTV files, even those with 5.1 AC-3 or AAC, will be converted to stereo sound. But for use on a portable device, perhaps watching movies on a tablet during a flight, stereo is all you need.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up