INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange "glitching" sound through speakers when changing audio bit rates  (Read 6827 times)

darthlaker

• Recent member

Hope someone can please help me on this,

I have a dCS Puccini player/DAC and dCS U-clock and using a MacBookPro with JRiver.

I have had an issue for sometime whereby if a music piece is playing and then I click on another album track at a different bit rate (example 16 bit to 24 bit or vice versa), the sound coming out from the speakers is a "glitching noise" which is not terribly loud but reasonably loud. This happens when the Puccini changes its bit rate from one to another.

So I am not sure if this is an issue with the interface with JRiver and the Puccini?

Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe

When you state that the click appears when switching between 16 and 24bit music files, I immediately think that what you really do is to switch between music of different sample rate (44.1kHz/16bit to 192kHz/24bit, for example). Ripped CDs are 44.1kHz/16bit, while most high-res audio files are at sample rates of 48,88.2,96,176.4,192kHz and almost invariably 24 bit (although I have seen the combination 44.1kHz/24bit files also).

If you play back sending the audio file's original sample rate, the DAC has to switch to the new sample rate before playing. Some DACs will spend a bit of time locking into the new sample rate, and produce an audible pop or click once done. My Lynx Aurora does this, which was a bit annoying. It has made me set it on fixed 96kHz and JRiver is set to resample all sources to 96kHz. Problem solved for me.

My guess is that this is the cause of your reasonbly loud glitching noise.

By the way: 16 and 24bit are not bit rates, but bit depths in your audio file. The sample rate is the digital resolution in time, while the bit depth is the resolution in volume. The bit rate is the number of bits pr second transferred in your audio path while playing.

darthlaker

• Recent member

If you play back sending the audio file's original sample rate, the DAC has to switch to the new sample rate before playing. Some DACs will spend a bit of time locking into the new sample rate, and produce an audible pop or click once done. My Lynx Aurora does this, which was a bit annoying. It has made me set it on fixed 96kHz and JRiver is set to resample all sources to 96kHz. Problem solved for me.

My guess is that this is the cause of your reasonably loud glitching noise.

Thanks SO much for your help on this.

Not sure if I would want to resample all sources to 96kHZ though...

Would there be a setting on JRiver where it fades out for some time when the sample rate changes?

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 09:45:32 am »

For the record, you don't need to resample to 96 specifically, any fixed sample rate will do ;-) but I gather you rather want to have your dac working with the original sample rate.

JRiver's resampler is pretty good, though. You could give it a try before rejecting it.

There are also crossfade options in Options Audio you could try.

That said, maybe JRiver could implement a solution that automatically adds a fade in when switching sample rate?

darthlaker

• Recent member

Thanks, I tried crossfade options to no avail.

Any idea how I contact the JRiver people that may implement a solution that automatically adds a fade in when switching sample rate?

DJLegba

Only as an option please. My DAC switches between all sampling frequencies, PCM and DSD with no noise and I definitely don't want a fade.

darthlaker

• Recent member

Yes, option only.

Any idea how I contact the JRiver people that may implement a solution that can add an option that adds a fade in when switching sample rate?

blgentry

^ The president of JRiver reads every post on this forum.  Several of the developers actively participate here also.  One or more of them will probably see this thread in the next few hours or days.

They don't acknowledge a lot of these requests, but I'm told that they do read them.

Brian.

darthlaker

• Recent member

Ok thanks.

In the meantime if anyone has any ideas please post.

ferday

• MC Beta Team

Yes, resample everything to the same output, then it will never switch rates

Have you tried settings on your DAC?

darthlaker

• Recent member

How do I resample everything to the same output?

There are no settings to help with this on the DAC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

DSP Studio > Output format

darthlaker

• Recent member

Thanks.   Then what output formats do I select?

ferday

• MC Beta Team

What is your music normally at?  CD and 24/96?

darthlaker

• Recent member

All over the place.  96, 192, 176, DSD.....

ferday

• MC Beta Team

You could always convert everything to DSD

As a test, does this happen for any sample rate, or just 16/44 to another bitrate?  For example does it happen when going from 24/96 to 24/192 or just CD to something else

For the record, I don't believe a fade in will work because the sound is created at the DAC it can't be attenuated by MC.  That's my theory anyways

if:  all your files are lossless, and it only happens with bitrate change, i'd convert all 16 to 24 permanently. 
if:  it happens with sample rate and not bitrate (or you have lossy files), i'd set JRiver to upsample everything to the highest your DAC allows
if: you like the sound when converting PCM to DSD, i'd output everything to DSD on the fly

darthlaker

• Recent member

Thanks for replies on this.

I would rather get the dCS DAC to do all the work.

A friend of mine with an Aurrender unit said the software enables fade in/fade out when sample rate is changed on the fly.

I wonder if JRiver could get this as well perhaps?
Pages: [1]   Go Up