INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conversion Problems  (Read 1947 times)

nycmtber

• Recent member
Conversion Problems
« on: April 03, 2016, 08:50:47 am »

I'm trying to convert (replace) my entire music library of about 457GB in various lossless formats entirely to MP3 for portable devices.

Thus far I'm unable to even convert one file. It says I need to specify a valid destination. I've tried creating a new folder as well as just going into the Itunes folder that already exists.

Some valid info that may be causing the problem is the drive is an external drive in NTFS format connected to my macbook pro running JRiver.

I also have a windows JRiver on an HTPC but am concerned I will mess up my library while converting and want to preserve the mostly lossless files on that pc. Thus my attempt on the mac with an external drive.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Conversion Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 08:56:28 am »

Using a separate external drive is a good idea.  It will keep things very separate and help eliminate confusion.

The problem you are experiencing is because Mac OS X needs a special driver to WRITE to NTFS.  By default it can only read.  That's why I don't use any NTFS drives with my Mac.  I either format them as Apple HFS or as FAT32 (if I have to exchange data with PCs).

Brian.

nycmtber

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 08:59:05 am »

Yes I just realized this as well and was going to edit my post. Is there no way to get around this? I just tried to save to the macbook drive and it didnt work either.

I see there is software out there that claim to read and write. Paragon NTFS is the first I found. It's easier for me to temporarily read/write vs formatting the drive since it has a ton of over stuff on it as well I dont want to lose.

nycmtber

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 09:03:36 am »

I solved the problem. I realized I still had a write option selected in the options for dealing with the file conversion.

It works going to the mac's itunes folder on the hdd without adding to the jriver library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up