INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Id Recognition  (Read 7554 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Problems with Id Recognition
« on: April 04, 2016, 04:33:56 pm »

I am now running JRMC20 on a PC with MC Remote running on an Android tablet. I recently have been trying to add an Id in a remote part of my home. I am still having a recurring problem getting my Main MC to recognize the Id and show it on my tablet Remote MC.  Here is what I am seeing:

When the Id IS RECOGNZED the left Nav on my main MC lists the Id under both the "PLAYER" and "PLAYING FROM MAIN LIBRARY" headings.  Can you explain exactly what this means?

The Id is also listed under the "NETWORK" heading, where I can also click on it and find "internal" and "external storage." ...And I am able to drag and copy music folders/files from any of my other files to that internal storage area.  On my MC tablet app, only one Server is listed.  Is the Id not considered a server -- so is this correct?

Finally (a clue?), whenever  I boot up the Id I see a window that reads, "Data Base Read Only" ... "this database will be opened in READ ONLY mode. Any changes will be lost when the program exits."  What does this mean?  (My music files are stored on a NAS on the WIFI system.)

HELP!  THANK YOU.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Stubborn problems with Id Recognition
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 04:54:47 am »

hello again

well first off I don't have an ID and I'm having a hard time following what you are describing. However multiple renderers/players (clients) in a networked system are setup pretty much the same.

I know you have a NAS, I know you have your "main" PC that you use for your main listening area -- I'm assuming that the ID is going to be a remote "client".  Understand that your NAS is not "serving" the media files, but that JRiver is so you don't get confused with semantics (like your NAS is a server sure, but in this case its just a big external drive). Regardless lets say you have 2 PCs one will be running JRiver's Media Server, the other will be running just as a client

So you have your main PC that should be set up to run Media server (Options=>Media Network) - once you check this box note the access key.
On PC2 (probably the ID) the first time you load the main PC's library you can type in this code (you probably know this already as you have setup your iPad or tablet already). The idea being that each MC install will have a local library (called Main just to confuse you ha ha). Now what you normally do is that a client PC will load the "server" PCs library -- it is handy to rename this on the client to avoid confusion. Depending on the options chosen you can also show the server PCs zones you have created.  Each install can run as server, renderer and/or control point. So what you see in the left can be different on each machine.

I'm just guessing but it sounds like both installs are set to run as servers? ... If the ID is running headless(no monitor/keyboard) install Teamviewer, or a remote desktop software of you choice to access it from you main PC. You mention that you see Playing from Main Library on the ID .... well that means its playing from the IDs local library and if you want to use it as a client, well you want to load the other PCs library if you follow me. Basically in your setup the NAS and the main PC must be on (or wakeupable -- Google "WoL") for the ID to work if setup in a basic client/server configuration.

You can also use the ID as a standalone PC, with its Main library as a clone of the main PCs library. Then you don't need the main PC to be accessible on the network -- the problem being that you would have to sync the two libraries (and be very disciplined about your tagging and only change things in one of the two local libraries) Usually you want to use only ONE library for all your devices - in your case the main PC, Tablet, and ID. It is possible to use the ID as the server too and the main PC as the client also. The same principles apply. The idea, normally, is you have only one master library that is serving your media files across your network.

good luck, hope this gets you started in the right direction.

If you haven' already, I'd read on network setup in the JRiver Wiki.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:35:00 am »

Great  thanks again.  I need to digest to see if I have any follow on questions.  I can tell by your post you
Recognize the lack of clarity in the instruction language.  Lots of tech ambiguity for a non tech person!

In the meantime, please see the last question in my post re: the " Database Read Only" message window. Might that have some bearing on this discussion?  It seems like it's warning me of an "irregularity" or a prohibition (?).  I may have clicked on the wrong combination of choices in trying to solve these problems.

Much appreciated.

Wayne

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:00:24 am »

I need to digest to see if I have any follow on questions.   In the meantime, please see the last question in my post re: the " Database Read Only" message window. Might that have some bearing on this discussion?  It seems like it's warning me of an "irregularity" or a prohibition (?).  I may have clicked on the wrong combination of choices in trying to solve these problems.

I think digesting some of this first is a good idea  ;D! I don't want to steer you wrong, as I'm not sure you have set up your system correctly (or if you know how you really want to  :P ) -- but often this means that 2 machines are running as servers and accessing the same library, as only one can write to the database at the same time, so one gets a read only permission. This could be something else, like privileges and sharing issues ... but if you are going the standard client/server route ... I bet if you set it up right this will go away Wayne. (a client loads a virtual copy of the real library, and you can tag to it and it will sync back to the original, avoiding multiple people changes stuff at the same time

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:38:30 am »

I got down to your instruction to load the main pc library onto the Id.  I found the library is listed in the Nav as " wayne-pc (library server)."   At the top of the Id load library page the library is listed as (The name of the library same as above) , then -  "is a client of the library server with access key ZVsdDO (correct access key for my main jrmc).  Loaded: No"

When I click on load library I get a window: " Please enter credentials for 192.168.0  3:52199 below and an empty field.  But superimposed over the ,empty field is the message.. "connecting to the server please wait"   Then, everything stops -- nothing happens.

??

ALSO, just to clarify.., earlier, what I meant to say is that on my main jrmc screen under Playing Now... I do have the Id name appearing.

Thank again for staying with this.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Re: Problems with Id Recognition
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 09:16:30 am »

Again, THANKS for staying with this.  I am obviously confused but making progress.  On the Id I did manage to import my main MC Library using an existing username and password.  Two (I think) related questions:

1.  I did find that my Id had NOT been entered as a handheld device -- which I managed to do. (Not sure what exactly that means to me.)  I was then informed there was already data in that device and asked if I want to "Manage it as a Device." (?)  I clicked YES and now it appears in the left NAV of my main MC software with a handheld device icon next to it.  Again, what should that mean (advantage?) to me?

2.  I am under the impression that I should also add the Id as a server. I assume (?) that would allow me to issue commands directly from my JRemote, commands that would allow the Id to retrieve music files from the NAS directly (?).  However, when I try to add the id as a server on JRemote it asks for another username and password.  I don't recall if the Id has its own password (?) but my general MC password doesn't work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 09:53:21 am »

JRemote instructions are here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90120.0

Handheld Sync allows you to add media to the device.  The wiki has more.

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 11:20:38 am »

Again, THANKS for staying with this.  I am obviously confused but making progress.  On the Id I did manage to import my main MC Library using an existing username and password.  Two (I think) related questions:

1.  I did find that my Id had NOT been entered as a handheld device -- which I managed to do. (Not sure what exactly that means to me.)  I was then informed there was already data in that device and asked if I want to "Manage it as a Device." (?)  I clicked YES and now it appears in the left NAV of my main MC software with a handheld device icon next to it.  Again, what should that mean (advantage?) to me?

2.  I am under the impression that I should also add the Id as a server. I assume (?) that would allow me to issue commands directly from my JRemote, commands that would allow the Id to retrieve music files from the NAS directly (?).  However, when I try to add the id as a server on JRemote it asks for another username and password.  I don't recall if the Id has its own password (?) but my general MC password doesn't work.

Don't worry about the handheld stuff for now.

Your number 2 though it depends on how you want your network setup. Which computer's local library is going to serve the files to the clients for example. You can control the server PC from a Client, but you can't control a client from a client. The Username and password are the ones for the operating system, you might not have one -- not sure how Linux works with this.

Sorry don't have the time today to respond in detail so BUMP  ;D

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 03:38:30 am »

OK what I think you want to do is on the Id go into Options and turn on media Network=>check Use Media Network to share this library (you won't be sharing the library of the ID though). You probably want the authenticate option checked too.

Then, again under Media Network, click advanced and check ONLY the DLNA Renderer box. This way on the server machine it will show up as device. In JRemote you can the select this so it can be used as your Control Point for the Id or the control point for your main machine. You could even link the two outputs to playback at the same time.

HOWEVER, you might not want to set this up this way. You might want to use the Id as the server. Running both PCs as servers usually requires 2 separate libraries and I wouldn't recommend that. Each JRiver install though can be either a media server, renderer, or controller -- or all three. So this might not be your "final" configuration. You have a bunch of options here.

With 2 machines, basically one runs a server and must be turned on all the time (or WoL -- configured to wake up) it accesses either local files or external files like from a NAS. The other runs as a client which can do most admin/retagging etc to the server machine's library. Remember that modifying creating Views, moving renaming files, importing, and cover art stuff have to be done on the server machine (or using a remote desktop app from another machine if running headless). This might influence which machine runs as server too.  Zones linked to output devices are not library based, so each machines audio for example and be configured per station.

Using JRemote or another remote controller, one needs to load a "server". You can have multiple servers, but usually as I said you don't want to. So the choice depends on you, and how you playback your media, ease of access etc. You can also do the initial setup using PC1 as the server and PC2 as the client for ease of configuration, and then change your mind (probably entailing restoring a library backup file) Your choice might have something to do with the fact that the Id is in Linux and so doesn't have Theater View. However it will function very well as a renderer for audio, and consumes like nothing in terms of electricity and has a small form factor. 

Regardless, not knowing more about your listening areas and such I'd try my suggestion first, then once you see the plus and minuses in your home, you can change it to fit what suits you best

Hope this helps

PS- it can be helpful to set IPs via the DHCP option in your router to avoid some network issues you might have, and do port forwarding for external access too. but that goes a bit beyond the "purview" here :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 03:47:47 am »

I changed ID to Id above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up