INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panes Browsing - Enhancement  (Read 2007 times)

nila

Panes Browsing - Enhancement
« on: August 18, 2003, 12:37:43 am »

Hiya,

Just a couple of things that would enhance the panes a lot and give them a lot more power :)

Some many have been mentioned in the past by other people over various different threads in passing.

Right now - browsing the panes means clicking on one item, then when we click on the next it performs an:  OR join between the two.

So if we click on 1999 then 2000 we get any files from both years.

What would give them a LOT more power is if we could chose what behavior each click had.

So we could set it to be:
AND
OR
NOT

For photo's this would be GREAT to let us do photo's with two people in it:

George AND Kate

Or we could do:  Georgeous AND Kate NOT John

APA does this already and it works great and gives it a LOT of power.

Maybe just holding a key when we press each item?

- and Click = NOT
+ and Click = AND
standard Click = OR (as it currently is)

Then just make each pane item that is selected have an icon on the far right indicating what mode it is selected in?

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Panes Browsing - Enhancement
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 12:46:05 am »

Nice idea. This would be a good tool for some 'power' users, but it wouldn't get in the way of normal operation.

I wouldn't find this very useful personally, but I think it's a great idea. I would also suggest that this statement (a AND b NOT c etc) is displayed somewhere above the panes.

nila

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 12:49:59 am »

I think it depends a lot what media type your using MC for.

Once you start using it for images then this is where it kicks in a lot - for audio I think your right - it would only be real audio boff's who'd use this :)

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 04:29:33 am »

Maybe just holding a key when we press each item?

- and Click = NOT
+ and Click = AND
standard Click = OR (as it currently is)

I'm an audio only user so don't have much to say on this except that I think you would need to have on-screen icons to click for the above rather than holding a key.  I'm no programmer but I would have thought that a program could not recognise the fact that any of these keys are being held down (unlike CTRL, Shift and ALT).

The main change I'd like to see to panes (to repeat myself again) is an option within the edit>view scheme dialog for non-heirarchical (i.e. they don't reset to the right).  I think that something as fundamental and simple as this should be a higher priority change though I can see the mileage in what you are suggesting.

Pink Waters

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 05:07:44 am »

iam afraid that you're using your head nila ;)
Tamer

nila

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 06:08:37 am »

Using my head or losing my head? :)

nila

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 07:00:18 am »

The difference between include and require being what?

And in terms of pictures AND - or - OR is logical.

I want pictures of John AND Sarach

or John OR Sarah - both seem logical.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 08:00:08 am »

I'm not sure we need to turn MC into a complete SQL Server GUI or anything, but a simple way of doing AND would be nice. I'm not entirely sure we even need NOT, but I could see that being useful.

The problem is creating an intuitive GUI for it. APA seems to handle this by using  "Exactly Matches" (AND?) and "Closely Matching" (OR?). Something similar would be nice.

Maybe include a pair of checkboxes at on the right hand side of each value? One that coresponds to AND and one that coresponds to NOT? The default action of selecting a name would be OR, but then you could check the box next to the name to make it either AND or NOT?

I duno... just throwing that out as a possibility.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 08:17:07 am »

Hmmm... that could work. MC could divide the files section by two. Label the top as "Exact Matches" where it treats the panes as though they were using AND, and then lower down label the next section as "Closely Matching" where it treats it all as an OR.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 08:30:25 am »

But then you'd have people complaining that there was no rhyme nor reason to the sorting.

With seperators, you could still specify your own sorting. By Name, or Year or whatever, but still have the results presented in such a way that you could easily seperate the ANDs from the ORs.

nila

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 08:36:57 am »

lol.

All of this seems way more complex than I'd imagined - I just thought a simple basic feature like APA has.

Just because the Panes are by far the easiest and fastest way of doing searches it would have been nice to refine it with them even more :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up