INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: search bar drop down results  (Read 4650 times)

bmunroe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Where ever you go, there you are
search bar drop down results
« on: April 07, 2016, 08:44:23 am »

The "type-ahead" results that drop down from the search bar tend to disappear when I move my mouse.  Anyway to extend the length of time they appear for?

For example, I start typing "Bea" in the search bar and a dozen possible results appear below the search bar (I love this function BTW).  When I move my mouse to click on one of the results they disappear before I can get there.  My assumption is that because I am mousing through other items on screen that steals focus away from the drop down?

Thanks,
Brian Munroe

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: search bar drop down results
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 08:49:54 am »

Well normally to get the suggestion box you needed to move the mouse into the box and click.  Then it's positioned perfectly for hitting a match.

I tried to reproduce behavior that I'd consider bad, but I wasn't able to.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 11:09:02 am »

I'm not seeing a problem with this. I can type some letters in the Search box, and after matches are displayed, I can still move the mouse around the screen and get back the matches to select something.

Must be something specific to you computer.
What operating system are you using? What kind of mouse?

bmunroe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 06:48:02 am »

I'm not seeing a problem with this. I can type some letters in the Search box, and after matches are displayed, I can still move the mouse around the screen and get back the matches to select something.

Must be something specific to you computer.
What operating system are you using? What kind of mouse?

I am using Windows 10 with either a microsoft wired mouse or a logitech wireless.  I've used MC on multiple computers over the years, and multiple versions.  I don't believe this is new or unique behavior to me.  It happens when the search bar is selected, but the mouse is not near that area.  For instance:
enter the search bar, type something, select a result from the drop down list. Now what you have selected gets put in to the search box and is selected
move the mouse into the "data" screen to use as a "finger on the page" to help look thru the results.  Search bar is still active and the rsults are still highlighted.  Use the keyboard to enter another search and get drop down results.  move the mouse back to the results, and they will disappear before the mouse pointier gets to them

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 07:57:03 am »

Next build:
Changed: The search suggestion box won't hide when the focus is in the search box (even if the mouse moves a lot or is a long ways away).

bmunroe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 05:58:19 am »

Next build:
Changed: The search suggestion box won't hide when the focus is in the search box (even if the mouse moves a lot or is a long ways away).

Awesome.  Thanks Matt!

epianist

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 03:56:06 am »

Dear all,
Iīm a newbie here  :)
Iīm searching for entries in field 'description' in search bar drop down results ... but no results!
Only if I used the keyword "desc=" before the search string which I have prepared in Options > Lib > Manage Lib Fields > Description (enabled default search field) the result was ok.
1.) Does anybody know how to show 'description' searches in the search bar without using the keyword?
2.) What does the box "default search field" mean, if I don`t get results in the search bar?

Thanks for replying..

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 05:35:56 am »

Not all fields are searchable by default, but you can change individual fields.  It's in the tag customization somewhere.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 05:37:26 am »

It's in the tag customization somewhere.

Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields... > Pick a field > Default search field (it's a checkbox)

epianist

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 06:04:44 am »

Thanks.
Yes, I have enabled the checkbox (default search field) for the "Description" tag.
Indeed if I searched for sth. including keyword which is "desc" for "Description" e.g. desc=Walcker I found all entries with the word Walcker in it. That's ok for me.
BUT, if I only put in e.g. Walcker in the search bar without keyword NOTHING will be displayed. That cannot be.
The problem is that sometimes you simply donīt know where the searched expression is stored. So a common search would be fine to look into every field which is marked in default search field check box without using a (limiting) keyword.
Does the standard search engine support description? If yes, why I donīt get any results?
Thanks for supporting me.
Best, Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up