INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume issues  (Read 1738 times)

tr6greig

Volume issues
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:30:33 am »

Hi all

I've been experimenting with the different volume options available, and am happy using internal volume with the system volume on my iMac set at max. This works fine, however if I forget to reduce the system volume after closing the media centre and go to iPlayer for example the volume through my amplifier blows the windows out. Is there a way around this or do I just have to remember to turn it down .

Thanks   

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume issues
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:12:45 am »

There are several techniques to combat this problem.  The primary method is to have a preamplifier between your computer and your amplifier.  That way you always have hardware volume control.

You can also use a different audio device for JRiver MC than for your other stuff.  Like your "really good DAC" for MC and built in audio for your other players, web browsers, etc.

I also recommend turning system sounds to off, or very, very low levels, otherwise you get loud sound effects sometimes (system alerts, etc).  I also direct system sounds to a different sound device than I'm using with MC.

Finally, you could just use System Volume, in MC, but that's going to compromise sound quality in some way.  Whether or not you can hear it or it is important is for you to determine.

Brian.

tr6greig

Re: Volume issues
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:03:42 am »

Thanks Brian

I think I'll try and set the iMac up so the internal speakers are used for everything except the MC. I would prefer to stick with internal volume control.

Cameron
Pages: [1]   Go Up