INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Few more PC questions  (Read 2938 times)

Waynefi

• Recent member
Few more PC questions
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:30:30 pm »

I have asked a few various questions over the last few days, and thanks for all the answers. So here is a few more, as I finish putting my room back together.

I have been using MC with a dedicated Win 7, I3, 5th Gen, 8GB, 1TB desktop PC, AQ USB to DAC. I currently am using the 1TB drive in this PC for everything including music storage. This will be only music, and with all the physical media I have Digital and Analog that I still use as intended, this will never be a huge amount. Everything in my house PC wise is backed up to a WD Network double Red drive. Being a skeptic, I occasionally look to be sure the music is actually backed up there ! All this seem to be working and sounding pretty good before I took it down.

All that said;

1)I heard it is bad to play music from the same drive as the operating system and MC is on ?  Do I need to put another drive in the PC to contain the music files, or I suppose an external, but that is another box and USB cable. If another internal drive is an idea, would a SSD be a better choice ?

2)Is there any next steps I could take with this existing box to improve things ?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Few more PC questions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:17:17 am »

RE: Item 1 - having the whole deal on 1 drive. Shouldn't be a problem. Contrary advice sounds like myth to me.

However, I can come at gaining a performance benefit in terms of fast system start and operation by having the OS and software like MC on an SSD for minimal $ outlay. Storage of media on a spinning drive should be fine.

Personally, I think life will be easier if you opt for media on an internal drive when you're starting out. Running an external with your library files can lead to hassles with file locations - this can be dealt with but it's a small complexity you might want to avoid initially.

Item 2:
Improvement on what you've got can be a never ending story. Sounds like you should be right with your rig as it stands. For me the old adage of make it as simple as possible but no simpler has a lot of value.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Few more PC questions
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 07:26:24 am »

+1 to Astromo

Your item 1

I think you might have misunderstood. There is not a problem putting your music on the same drive as everything else. However, almost all new computer builds use an SSD. Unless you have a 1tb SSD and not a traditional hard drive of course, you don't want to choke it up with media files. So for performance you install JRiver on the drive that has the OS (including its library files) and your media/music files in a distinct path on a local hard drive.

Your Item 2:

I'd get an SSD drive for your OS and program files - much better performance ;) If you need more storage for the media files, get a bigger drive or add one, and avoid external USB drives like Astromo mentioned already. Also agrees it pretty much endless -- if music is your priority save your extra money and get an external DAC or better speakers/amp etc.

Oh and if by chance you still have iTunes on your PC, if you can't/don't want to get rid of it totally. Do not let it "organize" the music! Let JRiver do that. Don't tag with it, don't do anything except maybe sync music with it.  Do not have an iTunes library configured to do something automatic - check the Preferences to make sure :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up